Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The passing of Mark Frankel

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The passing of Mark Frankel

Old 07-21-2020, 11:50 AM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The passing of Mark Frankel

I am saddened to inform the modeling community of this morning's passing my good friend and iconic modeler Mark Frankel. Mark fought a brief battle with pancreatic cancer.

Mark was a loving husband, predeceased by his beloved wife Jill, a devoted father and grandfather, a successful business man and an iconic designer and builder with a passion for all things aviation, particularly naval aviation of the 1950s and 1960s.

Always available to chat about airplanes, always open to sharing his knowledge and always welcoming to his shop. So much can be said of Mark and his impact on the world of modeling that I won't even attempt to scratch the surface.

Tailwinds, Mark.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:24 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Godspeed fellow modeling friend.

I didn’t know him, but know what it feels like to loose someone I care about.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:08 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got to fly one of his Lears. Great airplane. He was a true designer and builder. Those were the days when builders still existed in larger numbers. I miss those days!!

God Bless
Old 07-22-2020, 12:16 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

I never met Mr. Frankel but first noticed him from the USA magazines, first from his Ducted Fan F4D Skyray. Then learnt about his Lears and Skyray kit and always kept an eye for his articles and models.

Although I never knew him personally I, from Spain, for sure will miss him.

My condolences for his entire family.

Godspeed
Old 07-22-2020, 03:21 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the best guys in the hobby. So sad about this. We would sit for hours at each topgun talking about planes. Really going to miss him. He is a true legend.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:12 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sad to hear about Mark's passing. He had so much aviation knowledge and was always willing to share and learn. A good man for sure!
Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 AM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

A great designer, My condolences to his family.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:02 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (16)

I never met Mr. Frankel, but I remember drooling over his models in RC Modeler or Model Airplane News (when people still read paper). As a young aspiring modeler in those days he set a high bar for us to shoot for, strange that you can look up to someone you never met. His ingenuity and building talent left me in awe and inspired me to find a better more creative way to pursue perfection. He was one of the giants on whose shoulders we stand, and truly a modeling icon.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a very sad day for model aviation with the passing of my great personal friend and fellow model designer Mark Frankel. With his passing, he leaves behind many great memories for me of our participation in Team Scale for many years at the AMA Nationals and Top Gun and the projects he invited me to be a part of.

Cannot fail to mention, a great gentleman and unbelievable knowledge base and resource of aircraft and their statistics as exhibited by the several books he has written in the past few years such as "Killer Rays" (Subject of the F4D SkyRay) etc.

Mark will be missed for sure as it is my great personal pleasure to have known and shared time with him.....Gods speed and blue sky's.

Kerry J. Sterner

The following users liked this post:
grbaker (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 03:15 PM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May he Rest In Peace.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:44 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - so sorry to hear about his passing away... :-( I met him at Top Gun long ago, but we've discussed Vigilante and F-107 projects on a number of occasions over the years... :-(
Old 07-23-2020, 06:52 PM
jetflyr

Several long phone calls and multiple messages over the years, several of his books in my "reference section", an always wonderful experience. Tail winds Mark and Rest in Peace.
Greg