Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin SW220 by CRX

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin SW220 by CRX

Old 07-29-2020, 07:07 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swiwin SW220 by CRX

As most know, Swiwin has released the new 220. We had a chance to test this engine and it is a very nice turbine. The only negative we are getting comments on is the omission on an integrated FOD screen.

The overall look of this motor is sleek. I had wondered how this would look and to my surprise the 220 is modeled after the 300. The starter mount is top shelf machine work with the standoffs secured by 3mm flush screws. We did manage to fabricate a screen out of #10 stainless screen and we replaced the 3 mm screws with slightly longer screws to secure an FOD for our UK friends. There were some comments about current draw on the 220. The 220 uses the same glow plug as the other engines and typically draws about 3 - 4 amps. The 300 uses a dual plug so current on the 300 runs roughly 7 - 8 amps. The data screen clearly shows everything going on as with all of the Swiwin motors.

Below are some comparison pics showing a the difference in size between the 190 and 220 turbine wheels. Note 5mm larger wheel on the 220 from the 190. Also the max RPM on the 220 is 110K which is significantly lower than the 190. The resultant power plant is spinning slower with increased turbine surface area which results in better performance and heat dissipation and should result in a longer lasting engine. I have to say that this is a nice shift from the trend of spinning the engines to the brink of destruction in order to squeeze more power out of it. We expect to see this line of engines to be extremely reliable which is a great thing because we are seeing turbines being used in more and more applications.

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We try to maintain stock but the engines wind up purchased before they get to our door. Service is local in the US. We are not a part time endeavor so when you call us, we respond.

Typical turnaround on most work is a couple of days.

Andy Fioretti
Owner CRX Turbines
www.crxturbines.com
www.swiwinusa.com
[email protected]

Old 07-29-2020, 09:09 PM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks fantastic.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:47 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I may have to pick one of these up for my Drake. So far my Swiwin's have been killing it and this new 220 looks very promising. Does it use the same starter motor as the 190n?
Tone
Old 07-30-2020, 07:13 AM
CRX Turbines

Hi Tone,

I was wondering how you have been... I'll call you later today. In answer to your question, the 220 and 300 and all the other engines use the same starter. A lot to be said for these brushless power houses versus their brushed counterparts that we had to deal with for so long. The other thing that is notable with this engine is the throaty sound to it. With the bigger wheel and combustion chamber it is just a richer sounding turbine. Very similar to the 300 only smaller.

Andy

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed View Post
I may have to pick one of these up for my Drake. So far my Swiwin's have been killing it and this new 220 looks very promising. Does it use the same starter motor as the 190n?
Tone

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 07-30-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:21 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why no integrated FOD screen?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:45 PM
F900

I had 99% similar version of this 220 in my hands today and one thing that came to mind how light it was compared to the 170x vs the size, very impressive.. 3.2lbs vs 3.7lbs
Old 08-01-2020, 02:25 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by F900 View Post
I had 99% similar version of this 220 in my hands today and one thing that came to mind how light it was compared to the 170x vs the size, very impressive.. 3.2lbs vs 3.7lbs
But not a swiwin? The only thing close to this that I can think of is made by another company, has less thrust, is over $250 more expensive, and requires the purchase of a $70 telemetry module(a whole separate box to deal with) if you want telemetry. And also does not include a fod screen(it will eventually be integrated into the SW220-330B). And if it's the company I'm thinking of I have several friends that have jumped ship from them and come to Swiwin, and several more considering the same.
There is another turbine that is a lightweight 220, but is over $1,000 more than the Swiwin, and also doesn't include telemetry.

Last edited by bodywerks; 08-01-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:43 AM
F900

Well body as I am concerned its the same turbine lol the "version" I had in my hand yesterday has the same specs and unless Andy points to how its different other the name I can't tell the difference and Andy cheaper by $10

All all I'm saying for a close to 50lb @ 3.75lbs it felt very light. I might consider it for the Ultra Bandit Evo.
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:14 AM
bodywerks

I misread a little. I thought you were implying that the one you held in your hand was a [email protected]
Old 08-01-2020, 08:26 PM
CRX Turbines

Hi F9... Call me....

We are here all day every day. This is what we do. Swiwin is working on an FOD screen which is the big gotcha for people. These larger scale motors are widely used in target drones which are never coming back. FOD screens stop screwdrivers and wires and large things from being ingested but the smaller grits, dirt, sand. etc. that screw up an engine sail right through an FOD screen. Most larger motors do not include them.

One big point here is that the turbine wheel is 5mm larger than the 190/210 predecessor. This equates to a motor that is doing less work and putting out more thrust.

Andy
crxturbines.com
swiwinusa.com

Well body as I am concerned its the same turbine lol the "version" I had in my hand yesterday has the same specs and unless Andy points to how its different other the name I can't tell the difference and Andy cheaper by $10

All all I'm saying for a close to 50lb @ 3.75lbs it felt very light. I might consider it for the Ultra Bandit Evo.

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 08-01-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 PM
F900

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately for us in Denver, CO some of r/c fields can often have FOD on the runway, might be small stones to hay, tumbleweed or especially muck from the rain and wind. Before I flew my Bandit today I was out on the runway clearing from the harvest last week lol .... compared to other turbines due to the larger intake your turbine which IMO is better suited for the higher altitude like Denver (run cooler, better airflow) but also sucks in a lot more air and that's were the issue could happen, again lots of variables and location of the turbine in the jet but it is something we have to take into account. So far I have seen good things about your turbine, your sister turbine and hopefully will be the right fit for my larger jets. I'm very interested to see how this 220 performs, as I'm sure you know a FOD screen is welcomed and as also I mentioned in my other post I will be in touch soon.
Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this turbine? They claim best thrust to weight ratio.

https://rpmjets.com/collections/jet-...ducts/atom-270
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by RC_MAN View Post
How about this turbine? They claim best thrust to weight ratio.

https://rpmjets.com/collections/jet-...ducts/atom-270
for an extra $1100, no usa service, and no telemetry? No thanks. Swiwin is supposed to be coming out with a 250 that will use the same can as the 220. Not sure about internals or price, but definitely not $4,000!
Old Today, 07:03 AM
CRX Turbines

Interesting you bring up altitude. The China govt. originally approached JetCat and AMT to help produce a turbine that could be started at 4000 meters and climb to 8000 meters. They were not successful. Then the China govt. approached Swiwin and Swiwin was able to do it. I have many times said that Swiwin makes larger engines for other non-hobby applications. We have several customers in Colorado and in higher elevations of AZ, CA, etc. It is a little bit of an adjustment to the stock settings where it comes to elevation so do tell me where you are in terms of ASL when the time comes.

You can review our manual below to learn about changes that might be required for higher elevation.

As for an SW250, the 220 was originally slated to be a 270 but was downgraded to a 220 to maintain reliable operation. As I pointed out previously and from the pics, there is a remarkable difference in the turbine wheels between the 190 and 220 (5mm) so one can conclude that the 220 can easily output much greater thrust levels.

Andy Fioretti
crxturbines.com
swiwinusa.com
[email protected]

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately for us in Denver, CO some of r/c fields can often have FOD on the runway, might be small stones to hay, tumbleweed or especially muck from the rain and wind. Before I flew my Bandit today I was out on the runway clearing from the harvest last week lol .... compared to other turbines due to the larger intake your turbine which IMO is better suited for the higher altitude like Denver (run cooler, better airflow) but also sucks in a lot more air and that's were the issue could happen, again lots of variables and location of the turbine in the jet but it is something we have to take into account. So far I have seen good things about your turbine, your sister turbine and hopefully will be the right fit for my larger jets. I'm very interested to see how this 220 performs, as I'm sure you know a FOD screen is welcomed and as also I mentioned in my other post I will be in touch soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Swiwin 203107 manual.pdf (3.10 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by CRX Turbines; Today at 07:29 AM.