Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-14 Jolly Roger

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-14 Jolly Roger

Old 01-23-2021, 11:30 AM
Skunkwrks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job getting everything programmed, I like the slats and flaps and didn't realize the wing spoiler acts like ailerons along with the elevators.
Very realistic, what size turbine/s are you using for her. Nice work
Old 01-23-2021, 02:46 PM
flyloose

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twin Swiwin 190’s
CB 400 + Cortex Pro
Old 01-23-2021, 02:54 PM
flyloose

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks View Post
Great job getting everything programmed, I like the slats and flaps and didn't realize the wing spoiler acts like ailerons along with the elevators.
Very realistic, what size turbine/s are you using for her. Nice work
Yes theyíre roll spoilers and Iíve made a mix to simulate DLC (direct lift control)....so my slider to the midpoint detent will give me just speed brakes, and then a proportional mixing of both spoilers extending upwards as I move the slider towards full. Should make for some pretty cool approaches once Iíve got some flights under my belt 🙂
Old 01-23-2021, 05:28 PM
Skunkwrks

When I've watched TopGun I noticed this when they did the barrel-roll you can see the spoiler come up and the elevator also act like an aileron for turning.
Those 190 Swiwin's will have good power to weight ratio.
Never seen a 400 completely filled up , I'm using a 210 on my Viper and the socket outlets get eating up quickly!
Old 01-23-2021, 05:34 PM
flyloose

When I've watched TopGun I noticed this when they did the barrel-roll you can see the spoiler come up and the elevator also act like an aileron for turning.
Those 190 Swiwin's will have good power to weight ratio.
Never seen a 400 completely filled up , I'm using a 210 on my Viper and the socket outlets get eating up quickly!
Ya itís insane how a jet like this can chew through the output slots. I bought a PB Royal and great piece of kit. But the UDI 16 protocol with Jeti limited us to 16 channels. Itís was a real pain trying to work around that. So I decided to just bite the bullet and get the CB 400. 24 channels and 24 slots. And can you believe we still needed an external sequencer to give even more slots.....lol 😂
Old 01-23-2021, 05:47 PM
Skunkwrks

Originally Posted by flyloose View Post
Ya itís insane how a jet like this can chew through the output slots. I bought a PB Royal and great piece of kit. But the UDI 16 protocol with Jeti limited us to 16 channels. Itís was a real pain trying to work around that. So I decided to just bite the bullet and get the CB 400. 24 channels and 24 slots. And can you believe we still needed an external sequencer to give even more slots.....lol 😂
I believe you could add receiver in Exbus for even more servo, I'm guessing if a guy uses air retracts then you would need a separate servo for each brake and on for steering.

I'm using a GS200 electron control so it does a lot of the extra works the transmitter plus ABS brake setup for keeping the plane straight and turning with the help of brake to pivot the plane.

Like the air brake between the verticals, it will help to stabilize and slow down the landing speed.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:54 PM
Skunkwrks

I believe you could add receiver in Exbus for even more servo, I'm guessing if a guy uses air retracts then you would need a separate servo for each brake and on for steering.

I'm using a GS200 electron control so it does a lot of the extra works the transmitter plus ABS brake setup for keeping the plane straight and turning with the help of brake to pivot the plane.

Like the air brake between the verticals, it will help to stabilize and slow down the landing speed.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:59 PM
flyloose

Default Pitot/AOA/TAT Probes

Some little added details that add to the jet: scale probes from the Little Jet Company in the UK (Alex)...
These are magnetic and can be removed for transport if required...

Old 01-24-2021, 05:03 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here’s a short video a friend took as he worked on mine....originally we were going to do the rudder linkages external....but I was happy that he was able to do them internal. A few more weeks before she’s all done ✅

https://youtu.be/ASo2zpIL5Ls

Approach speed won’t be affected by airbrake amigo, but the additional drag will require you to keep your throttle spooled up slightly. If you have to wave off the approach, the engine response time will be shortened. Think P70 versus literally any engine currently manufactured.

Keep plugging away it’s gonna look awesome zipping past.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:46 AM
flyloose

Originally Posted by yeahbaby View Post
Approach speed wonít be affected by airbrake amigo, but the additional drag will require you to keep your throttle spooled up slightly. If you have to wave off the approach, the engine response time will be shortened. Think P70 versus literally any engine currently manufactured.

Keep plugging away itís gonna look awesome zipping past.
Thanks Buck
Old 02-23-2021, 03:57 AM
drorso

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Work continues... after lots of effort and i guess 12-15 hours of work, i nailed the rudders. I had to cut out the hinges and locate them in the right position to get the right movement.

This concludes the moving panels (wings, elevators, rudders are all working now.

Next - the cockpit. In order to place the powerbox, Receivers, UATs, etc. I need to see the clearance, therefore I want to complete the cockpit. As Fenderbin mentioned, it's a shame that a $300 cockpit has to be totally redone.
The Dremel became my best friend in the last few days :-(

Now tell me - how this rear cockpit should go in to this fuselage without butchering it?

Old 02-23-2021, 07:42 AM
FenderBean

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Worst part of the build for me was the cockpit, I think i ended up with 8 separate pieces with various mounts to with screws. Was horrible and the cost of that cockpit for the quality you get is BS
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You only need 2 tools to install a SM cockpit....a chainsaw and an axe. Im building a T33 and have spent hours on repairing ****ty engineering. Never again!

Last edited by tp777fo; Yesterday at 10:59 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
flyloose

Here's a vid of mine and how the builder setup the cockpits for removal....