Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti Multiple Receivers - Dual Path or Clone

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti Multiple Receivers - Dual Path or Clone

Old 08-24-2020, 12:30 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Jeti Multiple Receivers - Dual Path or Clone

When I started with Jeti about 5 years ago, the favored approach for multiple receivers was to set them up in Dual Path mode. Since then I've seen multiple threads where Dual Path is compared to Clone mode, and recently Clone mode seems to be favored.

I'm not interested in Buddy Box setups, so that is not a factor in going either way.

I was wondering what the current preferred configuration is, and why.

Thanks

Paul
Old 08-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF-TC View Post
When I started with Jeti about 5 years ago, the favored approach for multiple receivers was to set them up in Dual Path mode. Since then I've seen multiple threads where Dual Path is compared to Clone mode, and recently Clone mode seems to be favored.

I'm not interested in Buddy Box setups, so that is not a factor in going either way.

I was wondering what the current preferred configuration is, and why.

Thanks

Paul
Been using Dual Path...all along, started with Jeti when the DC-16 started...of course I donít remember when the first CB come out but I did get one then LOL

I donít do buddy box either....And I never had any reason to change anything, I have many CBís (100/200/220/400) and also used dual path in smaller jet with 2 RX....
Old 08-24-2020, 01:13 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Double path. What's the point of a clone Rx that sends no telemetry? You will not know how well it is working or even if it is working at all!
Old 08-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
Double path. What's the point of a clone Rx that sends no telemetry? You will not know how well it is working or even if it is working at all!
with one Rx in clone the Tx sees all four antennas
Old 08-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
Not telemetry......
Old 08-24-2020, 01:50 PM
HarryC

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
that's not what everyone else has told me. In clone mode it sends no telemetry, so it cannot send antenna data. Can you post a pic to prove it?
Old 08-24-2020, 02:07 PM
Bob_B

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

that's not what everyone else has told me. In clone mode it sends no telemetry, so it cannot send antenna data. Can you post a pic to prove it?
No telemetry but better reception in rf challenged areas here in the states.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:21 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

In Dual Path, each RX is paired with one of the transmitters in the TX and its 2 antennas. In Clone mode, I assume that each RX sees all 4 TX antennas from both transmitters, so increases its chances of a good signal.

I could see how that would increase the signal strength at the RX antennas, even though you don't get to see all 4 RX antenna signal strengths individually. I could see the same benefit for telemetry reception quality back at the TX too.

I've used Dual Path on all my other models, but wondering if I need to switch to Clone for my latest one that I'm setting up.

Paul
Old 08-24-2020, 02:26 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it is true that you can't see or log the antenna values of a clone receiver a clone does provide the same antenna diversity and redundancy as a secondary dual path receiver which is really the only value of any sort of redundant receiver.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:44 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Iv'e been using dual path on all of them just because I want to see them both. I nearly always have near 100% Q on both except at one big event, but even then when one was lower the other was up. I think it was positioning of the antennas in a more challenging RF area than I normally fly. Never had any issues with Jeti RF so far.
Gary
Old 08-24-2020, 05:28 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think thereís some confusion between clone and default mode. The default mode pairs both RF modules to a single receiver. You then have the option of pairing a second or third or fourth receiver in default mode and cloning all but one of them. Cloning sounds fairly ominous but all it really means in the Jeti world is that you have set the receiver to no longer transmit. A cloned receiver is still receiving the same instructions from the hand held transmitter. The handheld transmitter has no idea the clones exist. Now... why would you want to run in default mode? What we have found in the United States is that the default mode has better overall performance when operating in areas with a very noisy RF environment. In fact it works so well that we (myself and a lot of my customers) donít even bother with two or more 2.4 GHz receivers. We simply run one receiver that has long antennas in default mode. This along with using the 900 MHz receiver if you are a DC or DS 24 user works very well in the toughest RF environments. If you happen to fly where the RF environment is relatively clean you will not see any difference at all between default and double path.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:38 PM
F1 Rocket

Adding more receivers, either cloned or in default mode might lead you to believe that you have better path diversity. But the Jeti system typically only uses the input from one receiver at a time. In the standard switch over modes for a central box the primary rx input must completely lose Itís input before it switches to the second or third input. So all of those extra receivers scattered about the airplane really donít contribute as you might think they do. The more recent central box firmwareís feature a mixing mode which is intended to combine The inputs from multiple receivers into a single output to the servos. This would be great if it worked as well as it should but unfortunately it does not. Several reports of steppy servo movement as well as the fact that you cannot have one of the inputs come from a stabilized source such as an assist receiver or a cortex pro make the mixing mode not quite ready yet. At least thatís my opinion.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:45 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Cloning sounds fairly ominous but all it really means in the Jeti world is that you have set the receiver to no longer transmit. A cloned receiver is still receiving the same instructions from the hand held transmitter.
Thanks, Danny, that's the first time I really understood what cloning really means.
Gary
Old 08-24-2020, 06:11 PM
F1 Rocket

Iíve never understood why Jeti choose to call it that. I tried for years to get them to change it to something more meaningful. The suggestion was to have the option of turning off the telemetry on the RX. Itís either on or off.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:42 PM
ravill

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Danny, care to elaborate on dual path vs default?

Your info is gold my man!!
Old 08-24-2020, 08:50 PM
HarryC

Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
While it is true that you can't see or log the antenna values of a clone receiver a clone does provide the same antenna diversity and redundancy as a secondary dual path receiver which is really the only value of any sort of redundant receiver.
But without any data you do not know if its aerial placement is a problem, you don't even know if it's powered up and working. You could be carrying a waste of weight and money!
Old 08-25-2020, 02:59 AM
F1 Rocket

But without any data you do not know if its aerial placement is a problem, you don't even know if it's powered up and working. You could be carrying a waste of weight and money!
I was told once that the definition of faith is the belief in things that cannot be substantiated with physical evidence. So you just need to have faith
Old 08-25-2020, 06:53 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
Been using Dual Path...all along, started with Jeti when the DC-16 started...of course I donít remember when the first CB come out but I did get one then LOL

I donít do buddy box either....And I never had any reason to change anything, I have many CBís (100/200/220/400) and also used dual path in smaller jet with 2 RX....
Danny any particular reason that there is no cb210 on your list?
Old 08-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by skymaster68 View Post
Danny any particular reason that there is no cb210 on your list?
‘Because I don’t have 3D non jets.....and I’m not replacing the CB200 that have the overheat/amps strip in any of my jets...

I see no reason in my application to run the 210.....asked yourself this....would run any new build on a 200 if the 220/210 didn’t exist.....if yes then there’s no reason to run the 210....210 might be good for high power 3D gas guzzler.....but I sold all mine...

Last edited by Dansy; 08-25-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:42 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
ĎBecause I donít have 3D non jets.....and Iím not replacing the CB200 that have the overheat/amps strip

I see no reason in my application to run the 210.....asked yourself this....would run any new build on a 200 if the 220/210 didnít exist.....if yes then thereís no reason to run the 210....210 might be good for high power 3D gas guzzler.....but I sold all mine...
Agree, I was just curious....