Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Treating Kerosene

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Treating Kerosene

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 02:35 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Treating Kerosene

I picked up some kerosene in an attempt to maiden my on of my jets. Lttle did I know that either the kerosene I bought was contaminated or there was with something in my jug, but the fuel was really cloudy and almost seem like there was abit of slime lying in the bottom when I emptied it. I am assuming there was some sort of fungus present. I have changed kero suppliers but what can I use to treat the fuel that would be safe for our turbine engine?. I saw a couple things for diesel fuel but not sure if it is safe for kerosene or are turbines.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 09-06-2020, 02:44 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I use this for my diesel. I know other guys use it in kerosene as well
https://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-jf-aviation/
Old 09-06-2020, 03:09 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cbk07
I used the same in diesel....
Old 09-06-2020, 03:18 AM
Agrav8ed

So you have used this with kerosone on a turbine? I saw that online but was not sure if it could be used on rc turbines. Also, I could not find any local sources.
Also I have a question on how to mix this Biobor. If it is 1 ounce per 75 gallons how much are you actually adding to a 5 gallon can?
Tone

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 09-06-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:29 AM
cbk07

I use it with diesel but am pretty sure that my friends that run kero use it also. I will try to confirm with them today.

The technical data sheet clearly shows kero
https://www.biobor.com/Biobor-Resour...cal%20Data.pdf

I buy it on Amazon. A little goes a long way
Old 09-06-2020, 04:28 AM
Agrav8ed

I use it with diesel but am pretty sure that my friends that run kero use it also. I will try to confirm with them today.

The technical data sheet clearly shows kero
https://www.biobor.com/Biobor-Resour...cal%20Data.pdf

I buy it on Amazon. A little goes a long way
I saw it on Amazon and thats where I would prefer to purchase. However, the one on Amazon says for diesel fuel. Not aviation fuel like the link you posted. It is the same stuff?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/c/ref=mw_dp_buy_crt
Based on the chart you supplied (thank you, very usefull) it shows I should mix around 4ml's per 5 gallons. Dose this sound correct?
Thanks,
Tone

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 09-06-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:04 AM
cbk07

Probably best to contact the engine manufacturer. I just checked with a friend that burns kero, and he said it is only needed with Diesel.....not kere so not really sure and do not want to mislead you. Biobor does make it strictly for aviation fuel too https://www.skygeek.com/hammonds-bb0...-s-53021a.html
Old 09-06-2020, 06:37 AM
Agrav8ed

Does anyone else out there use anything to treat/prevent fungus in kero turbine fuel?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 09-06-2020, 09:17 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I have for a few years now, I used the Kero from HD ( no algea, super clean ) then decided to try Diesel, didn't like the smell or the extra smoke then I got my first flame out because the filter on my engine was plugged with clear algea and my gas can had algea in it, switched to red Kero from the pump ( farmers Kero, less tax is the only difference) but since it came from an underground tank I used algaecide ( biobor) that happened almost 3 years ago, still use algaecide in my 5 gl gas can and my 2 gl smoke fluid can ( Diesel/mineral oil ) as of now my gas and smoke cans are algae clean, use double the recomended amount for the first time in a full gas can and let it seat for about a week if possible to kill the algea then use the recommended amount which is just a couple ccs, yes, you only need a tiny bit per 5 gallons, the 16 oz algaecide bottle is good for about 1500 gallons.

I've used the Bibor in my K80 Kero start, K140 propane start, Jetcat P60 propane start, P80 propane start, TJT300 ( 27 lbs thrust ) 20 years old engine build in Australia, I use in the same Kero in all of them, all are and have been running perfectly for years.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-06-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:50 AM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by CARS II
I have for a few years now, I used the Kero from HD ( no algea, super clean ) then decided to try Diesel, didn't like the smell or the extra smoke then I got my first flame out because the filter on my engine was plugged with clear algea and my gas can had algea in it, switched to red Kero from the pump ( farmers Kero, less tax is the only difference) but since it came from an underground tank I used algaecide ( biobor) that happened almost 3 years ago, still use algaecide in my 5 gl gas can and my 2 gl smoke fluid can ( Diesel/mineral oil ) as of now my gas and smoke cans are algae clean, use double the recomended amount for the first time in a full gas can and let it seat for about a week if possible to kill the algea then use the recommended amount which is just a couple ccs, yes, you only need a tiny bit per 5 gallons, the 16 oz algaecide bottle is good for about 1500 gallons.

I've used the Bibor in my K80 Kero start, K140 propane start, Jetcat P60 propane start, P80 propane start, TJT300 ( 27 lbs thrust ) 20 years old engine build in Australia, I use in the same Kero in all of them, all are and have been running perfectly for years.
Which biobor did you use. Looks like amazon has the diesel version but I saw on the Biofor website that the is one specifically for aviation fuels. Which have you been using with kerosene?
Thanks,
Tone

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 09-06-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:03 AM
CARS II

I believe that as long it is for Diesel it's good to use, I used Bibor at first then I got me a bottle from the gas station where I get my Kero, not Biobor but it's algaecide for Diesel.

You can find Bibor at any West Marine boat store.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-06-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:17 AM
CARS II

This one.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-06-2020 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Agrav8ed (09-06-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:40 AM
doctor jason

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Biobor JF all the time and having spoken to Hammonds I was told by them that The Diesel additive is basically the same as The JF,
Agrav8ed (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:21 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah here's another vote for the Biofor JF in Kerosene. I used to use a different brand of biocide but it got too hard to get ahold of. Also, for possibly contaminated fuel there's an outfit calle "Mr Funnel" that has some nifty filters for fuels,

Home

You can buy them at different places including Amazon.

Last edited by Zeeb; 09-07-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:57 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Been using Biobor for years in kero and diesel. No problems. Still in my first bottle. It goes a long way.
Gary
Old 09-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Agrav8ed

Thank you for all the replies gentleman. Biobor it is. Amazon only has the diesel version but I will give it a shot in kerosene.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 09-08-2020, 08:21 AM
Agrav8ed

I heard back from Biobor. Apparently the diesel and aviation versions are identical besides the label and biobor works on any hydrocarbon.

Thank you for your inquiry. Biobor JF is suitable for use as a biocide and lubricity improver in any hydrocarbon based fluid including jet fuel, diesel and kerosene. Aviation certified Biobor JF undergoes additional QC checks, specification testing, carries aviation approved labeling and is priced separately from non-aviation Biobor JF. I attached Spec Sheets on Biobor JF for aviation and non-aviation. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

So that answers the question if the diesel variant is safe to use with kerosene
Thanks,
Tone
Old 09-08-2020, 08:40 AM
doctor jason

Guess what. thats what I said in post 13
Agrav8ed (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:56 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I picked up some kerosene in an attempt to maiden my on of my jets. Lttle did I know that either the kerosene I bought was contaminated or there was with something in my jug, but the fuel was really cloudy and almost seem like there was abit of slime lying in the bottom when I emptied it. I am assuming there was some sort of fungus present. I have changed kero suppliers but what can I use to treat the fuel that would be safe for our turbine engine?. I saw a couple things for diesel fuel but not sure if it is safe for kerosene or are turbines.
Thanks,
Tone
I stick to Jet-A to avoid a lot of this. They are constantly moving their supply of fuel and consistently check it for water & impurities. I have a friend that buys kero from wherever and he consistently has fungus and other contaminants in his fuel. I would typically be OK with the Kero quality for heaters and such, but not to put into my jet fuel-system, I try to beware. Reminiscent to the old saying "be-aware of who you're dating... You might need a shot or worse after a bad call.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:49 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, biobor for years. You'll be fine. That 16oz bottle will last a lifetime too.

The only water I've ever had was from Jet-A.

I loves me some good ole fashioned kerosene!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 AM
doctor jason

Youll be surprised how much water their is in Jet A1, which is why the tanks are cleaned out every year with Biobor.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:12 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a way to easily mix the biobor.

I got a 16 ounce Bottle like the ones used for 2 cycle oil with the built in measuring cup.

Add 1 fl oz of biobor to 15 fl oz of your jet fuel (Mine is K1 Kero from the gas station underground tank). MIx well
This diluted mixture is 1 fl oz per 5 gal of fuel to end up with the correct dosage.

It is just to hard to try measure out the couple of drops required per 5 gal.

This has been working for me for the last 12 years just fine, Never had algae even when I had to take 3 years off flying.

As for the fuel you have with algae in it, Biobor recommends to double the dosage to kill existing algae, It would give it a couple days and then run it all through a good filter to get the dead algae out .

Last edited by flyinfool1; 09-08-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:17 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinfool1
I found a way to easily mix the biobor.

I got a 16 ounce Bottle like the ones used for 2 cycle oil with the built in measuring cup.

Add 1 fl oz of biobor to 15 fl oz of your jet fuel (Mine is K1 Kero from the gas station underground tank). MIx well
This diluted mixture is 1 fl oz per 5 gal of fuel to end up with the correct dosage.

It is just to hard to try measure out the couple of drops required per 5 gal.

This has been working for me for the last 12 years just fine, Never had algae even when I had to take 3 years off flying.

As for the fuel you have with algae in it, Biobor recommends to double the dosage to kill existing algae, It would give it a couple days and then run it all through a good filter to get the dead algae out .
Great tip!
Old 09-09-2020, 09:26 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by doctor jason
Youll be surprised how much water their is in Jet A1, which is why the tanks are cleaned out every year with Biobor.
Yes, very little. Come and get yours from White Waltham. No water in THEIR jet A1, well, not found any yet !
Old 09-09-2020, 09:36 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Yes, very little. Come and get yours from White Waltham. No water in THEIR jet A1, well, not found any yet !
Yea I guess I'm lucky too. My local FBO allows me to walk out to the pump truck and they fill my 5gal containers. The Jet-A is always clean and H2o free. It is a pretty busy regional so the truck is constantly on the move. Not sure why I'd prefer to trust what is sitting in the kero tank at the local gas station.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.