Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ Hawk small 2.38m CG location

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ Hawk small 2.38m CG location

Old 10-11-2020, 11:53 AM
HiCurrent

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FEJ Hawk small 2.38m CG location

I have an FEJ Hawk 2.38m and I can't find the manual for it. Does anyone know the CG location for this bird?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2020, 02:30 PM
TCHIEF
My Feedback: (15)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cog

Old 10-11-2020, 03:13 PM
HiCurrent

TCHIEF, thank you very much
Old 10-13-2020, 06:16 PM
TCHIEF

Default Final weight

Hello
What was your final weight dry Mine ended up at 45 lbs
Old 10-17-2020, 06:23 PM
HiCurrent

Originally Posted by TCHIEF View Post
Hello
What was your final weight dry Mine ended up at 45 lbs

I'm not quite done yet. I need some weight on the nose to balance it out. But without the weight, it is currently 42 lbs. I think by the time I finished, it would be around 45lbs too.
Does your CG exactly at 225mm or more. Normally, they recommended nose heavy. How does it flies. Any warning that I should know. the plane seems to be about 10lbs overweight. same size plane should be around 35lbs
Old 10-17-2020, 07:20 PM
TCHIEF

Default Hawk

Yeah. I donít know wher it gained so much weight. Seems like it was 23 lbs out of the box Donít know how 20+ lbs came from Havenít flown it yet got a little tired of trying to stop the air leaks First thing I did was removed and checked the gear they were fine but everything else still was giving me grief s I sidelined it for a little bit
Old 10-17-2020, 07:23 PM
TCHIEF

With everything as far forward as it could go I still added weight to the nose. I also used the xycoy scales to calculate the balance
Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 AM
HiCurrent

so what did the xicoy tell you where the CG should be?
I have air leak too, don't really know how much because I didn't check it with the wings on yet. I am using the electronics valve and I tied off the end of the air tubing at the nipples with metal wires. This will reduce the leak a lot. Most of the leak are from the small air cylinders. Try to wiggle the push rod on the air cylinder and listen for the air hissing sound. As long as the air leak is slow enough for at least 15 mins then I'm fine with it.
You can also use the gear failsafe if you don't feel safe. I'm going to put the xicoy failsafe in this plane. Too much plumbing in this plane, too many T and valves.
The reason why it is so heavy because the factory didn't use vacuum forming to get the excess epoxy out. As you can see that the skin is very tough and heavy. Especially the horizontal stab, it weights a ton.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:33 PM
HiCurrent

I sold mine to my friend and he had it maiden today. The plane flew fine but the canopy blew up inflight causing the plane to suddenly snap roll 90 degree to the right. After it was leveled out and retrim, it flew fine again. We didn't even know the canopy blew up. I was just thought that he had a bit too much elevator, but a few peoples saw it blew up. They didn't tell us until the plane was landed. On landing, it came in quite nice with flaps. But both the rubber tires came off when he hit the breaks. we don't really know why the canopy blew up. My guess is that the big canopy broke and air got in and just blew it all out. I recommend the owner beef up on the canopy wire frame with carbon fiber tow and put in extra canopy glue between the wireframe and the bubble canopy.
Now he needs to order the new canopy.
By the way, the CG on the manual is a bit too far forward. It needs to move back to fly good.

Last edited by HiCurrent; 10-03-2021 at 08:04 PM.