Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel leak damage and repair help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel leak damage and repair help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 02:22 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Fuel leak damage and repair help

So I ran out of daylight yesterday and had to pack up early. I came out to my trailer today and saw that there was fuel on the floor of the trailer. It was also pooled in the bottom of my jet and soaking the wood formers. I am going to pull the tank for inspection. But the biggest problem is the fuel soaked wood. Can anyone tell me what I can use to get the fuel out of the wood and repair it. I would prefer not to replace all the wood formers if possible.
thanks,
Tone
Old 11-06-2020, 02:33 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I’ve used this in the past with good results, you will probably have to do multiple applications but it will get it out.

K2r SPOTLIFTER
Old 11-06-2020, 02:36 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

it helps to gently heat the wood in between applications of kr2. it helps draw the oil out of the wood fiber
Old 11-06-2020, 03:00 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

This is why I resin coat all my wood work in ZAP40 before I build...I know that does not help you now, but it’s worth the hour spent at the beginning of a models life.

Dave
Old 11-06-2020, 03:25 PM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
This is why I resin coat all my wood work in ZAP40 before I build...I know that does not help you now, but it’s worth the hour spent at the beginning of a models life.

Dave
I coated Rebel but not this one. Too late now though. I just have to figure out how to get the oil out of the wood and with then impregnate it with CA or thinned out epoxy.

Tone
Old 11-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Agrav8ed

One of the local guys suggested kitty liter. I was thinking of wiping everything down with alcohol. Any thoughts on these methods before using the K2r?
Thanks,
Tone
The following users liked this post:
camss69 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 04:02 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Baking soda also
Old 11-06-2020, 04:41 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I’ve had varying success w acetone. Careful with paint though!

Once you get the oil out, paint the inside of your jet w Rustoleum Painters choice.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:12 PM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it is worth, several years ago I was cleaning up some ducted fan jets which had become saturated on the formers and exposed wood surfaces. When I posted here for suggestions I got several totally less than useful suggestions, more than I expected, which caused me to be careful of seeking advise since. This was one of the helpful and less sarcastic suggestions. ( I didn't like the suggestion I simply toss the plane in the bin for instance ). The only thing that ended up helping in my case were multiple applications of K2R. I still have a part of the last can on my workbench.
Tried acetone, alcohol, baking soda, and several kitty litters and any desiccant I could find. All help a little after multiple applications. The K2R was easiest and most productive. After each application it needs to be scrubbed around a bit, heating didn't do much and I was afraid to get it any hotter for fear of damaging the fiberglass and the epoxy joints. It then needs to be vacuumed out thoroughly before the next application. Letting it sit for a week between applications didn't seem to help either.
Just my experience, FWIW.
John
Old 11-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Dave
Agreed! I get laughed at for all the inside prep but it pays off in the end!

K2R over and over till its dry. Been using it for decades since the glow days. Then do the epoxy coating mentioned above.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:16 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Actually acetone doesn’t clean oily and diesel stains, the best way I learned is to spray it with zap degreaser and lay toilet paper over the wet areas to absorb the oil with the degreaser
Old 11-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I used the clumping kitty litter for my fuel leak. I let it set for a week. Vacuumed it out and reapplied.

It removed the fuel residue, off the glass and wood. I did not have to replace anywood.