Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion >

Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion

Old 02-08-2022, 04:37 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Pretty sure it was 6 or 7 degrees amigo. Iím working tonight but I think itís buried in thread above.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks.

I don't think I've got that much into mine. I TLAR'd it. I guess we'll find out...

Old 02-10-2022, 05:56 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 333 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.tom
Gary,
When you flew with K45...
Did you separate red wire from thr cable (RX<->ECU)
So you could run FW model at 5.5V BEC and ECU at 6-8V(2S rx LiPo)?
​​​​​​Because thats what manual says is max for fw(5.5V) but k45 does not work under 5.7, (prefers6-8V)
Thanks
Hi dr.tom,
No I did not separate the red wire. I ran the Jeti REX12A receiver and the blue box from the two power leads out of the Castle Pro BEC at 5.7v. The receiver throttle channel powered the Kingtech ECU and GSU with 5.7 volts plus all of the servos. I ran all the flight controls on separate channels directly from the receiver. Only the landing gear, gear doors, and lights were powered from the blue box. All of the Freewing stuff ran fine on 5.7v.

On Mig #2 I used the wiring harness from jbeech at ProModeler Servos to run the two ProModeler HV stab servos directly from the 2S LiPo battery. All the rest of the jet was just like on Mig #1.
Hope this helps,
Gary

Old 02-11-2022, 07:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,

How many guys have had failures with the blue box? Also, is there a diagram somewhere (easy button) for splicing off the wiring harness to go direct to Rx with ailerons and flaps? My eyes are so shot, I can't read anything on that box without a magnifying glass. Kids keep losing my magnifying glass....
Old 02-11-2022, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

How many guys have had failures with the blue box? Also, is there a diagram somewhere (easy button) for splicing off the wiring harness to go direct to Rx with ailerons and flaps? My eyes are so shot, I can't read anything on that box without a magnifying glass. Kids keep losing my magnifying glass....
Shawn,
How I did it is in post #28. But you'll still need the magnifying glass! My 4 yr old grandson always has mine!
Gary
Old 05-04-2022, 02:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Gary,
Been a while since I've touched bases, how is your model holding up with the micro turbine? My MiG.29 is still sprawled on a workbench the victim of 'lack of time'. Anyway, did you fit yours with brakes? Someone told me yesterday that to fly a turbine they have to have brakes - or is that just to obtain the waiver? Perplexed why this would be the case as the 'turbine' I am most interested in at the moment is a turboprop for a DHC-2 Beaver and while fitting it with brakes is easy enough, adjusting them to just barely work would help keep it from nosing over on application. Anyway, not especially keen on fitting such a thing with brakes since I suppose the proper way to rig them is to actuate on down elevator and I taxi taildraggers with up elevator and going to down would exacerbate the issue of nosing over (and in these sizes, props are pricey).
--

Last edited by jbeech; 05-04-2022 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by jbeech
Hi Gary,
Been a while since I've touched bases, how is your model holding up with the micro turbine? My MiG.29 is still sprawled on a workbench the victim of 'lack of time'. Anyway, did you fit yours with brakes? Someone told me yesterday that to fly a turbine they have to have brakes - or is that just to obtain the waiver? Perplexed why this would be the case as the 'turbine' I am most interested in at the moment is a turboprop for a DHC-2 Beaver and while fitting it with brakes is easy enough, adjusting them to just barely work would help keep it from nosing over on application. Anyway, not especially keen on fitting such a thing with brakes since I suppose the proper way to rig them is to actuate on down elevator and I taxi taildraggers with up elevator and going to down would exacerbate the issue of nosing over (and in these sizes, props are pricey).
--
Hi John,

Good to hear from you. Yes my Mig-29 is still flying well with the X-45. Here it is taking off last weekend. I have brakes and struts from Castle RC fitted. I activate my brakes with the right slider on my Jeti DS-24. Down elevator was popular many years ago when channels were not so many. Many still use it now. Lots of different ways to do it, so what ever is comfortable for you will work.

Yes brakes are required for jets and turbo props by AMA. The rules are here:
510-A.pdf

Good luck with your project.
Gary
Old 05-04-2022, 06:46 AM

Oh no, it's not a project yet - neither one. The MiG.29 is going to be EDF unless 'something' changes. However, with regard to a turbine, the Spaniard (Xcoy guy) said it would be June before he could ship (based on our conversation, you and me, I decided to go with him instead of the Kingtech unit). So presuming he does indeed ship, but only then, does it becomes a project. Until then it's pure blue sky! As for the baby MiG.29, that's laying out because I've been swamped with work.

FWIW, the large Beaver is on the shelf along with other prospective projects (as are a set of their floats, Hangar 9). This, in hopes this all works out and in due course an engine appears on my doorstep. I already have the prop on hand (ordered that after conversation with the fellow in Spain). The prop is by Christian Ramoser in Germany. For the unaware, Christian markets via ramoser Technik + Design a series of multi-blade props with adjustable pitch. They are ground adjustable using an Allen driver - all the blades at once. Anyway, I have a 3-blade F-size hub plus several blade sets ranging from 19.8" through 22.6" diameter with which to play.

What's appealing to me is the sound and smell of the turboprop with the relatively slow speed of the giant scale tail dragger, which I can thus flying closer to me (and at a reduced airspeed compared to a 'jet' model). Strikes me as fun. We'll see.

Last edited by jbeech; 05-04-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:48 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by jbeech
Hi Gary,
--
As Gary mentioned, and probably when you talked to Craig, brakes are required to fly under the AMA turbine program, and by that I mean insurance, not just your waiver, but at all times.

Down elevator, with a jet like that with huge surfaces is asking for issues, it takes the weight off the mains just when you want weight on the mains to stop, most of us use a slider.

If you need help with your waiver c'mon up for a day, we have plenty of experienced jet pilots in Jax including several CD's and one that helped write the current rules.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:52 AM

Good grief, Andy, that's an extremely generous offer. Thank you!

Which club? And i you don't mind (so we don't birdwalk this MiG.29 any discussion further), kindly reach out to me directly via email, please: [email protected]

This, because I'd very much like to come visit first and get the lay of the land, meet and greet, you know the drill. Anyway, many thanks.

Last edited by jbeech; 05-04-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:56 AM

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

www.jaxrc.com
I'll send you an email
Old 05-04-2022, 07:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

AMA Turbine Waiver Changes
Old 04-02-2023, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
#2 build in progress

Tank and turbine mounted

Tank decorated.
Where did you get the file to print the tank? I couldn't find it on Thingiverse?
Old 04-02-2023, 03:31 PM

Its still on Thingiverse. The link is in Post #1 of this thread. Post photos of your project.
Gary

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4651488
Old 04-02-2023, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Its still on Thingiverse. The link is in Post #1 of this thread. Post photos of your project.
Gary

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4651488
Thank you.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:59 PM

Default Thrust vectoring

Has anybody done a single-engine turbine conversion with thrust vectoring?
Old 04-03-2023, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by jet-lover
Has anybody done a single-engine turbine conversion with thrust vectoring?
I have not seen or heard of one. If you make one post pics.
If you print the tank, be sure to follow the steps in Post #24 and seal the inside and outside with epoxy laminating resin of some kind.
Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 04-03-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:07 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts

It looks like a pair of X45s would fit in. Their thrust could be set for 20N or so. Would there be space for a liter or more of fuel?
Wouldn't that be cool?
Old 04-04-2023, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
It looks like a pair of X45s would fit in. Their thrust could be set for 20N or so. Would there be space for a liter or more of fuel?
Wouldn't that be cool?
That would be a ripper for sure. But the down side is weight and fuel flow with two turbines.

My jet in this thread is 13.5 lbs at take off with 1.5 L of fuel using the external tank and 14oz header tank. I normally fly 8 min and land with a full header tank and I flew 10 min a couple of times just to do it and the header tank still had plenty of reserve fuel. If two turbines are using the fuel it is about .75 L or 25 oz for each turbines. Landing with reserve would give 22-23 oz per turbine. Now your getting down to flight times of an EDF which is one of the big reasons I like the turbine conversions with more flight time. Also the take off weight would be about 14.5 lbs which is increasing wing loading and higher landing speeds. It's all a trade off. Depends on what you like and want to do. For sure it would not slow down going straight up which is fun in itself!

Gary

Old 06-18-2024, 04:38 AM