Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion

Old 11-13-2020, 10:07 AM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion

This conversion is in collaboration with my friend Keith (Yellowbird911) and is still a work in progress at this date. As of now the jets have not been flown. We hope to test fly this week. This turbine conversion is not new but the fuel system is unique. Keith designed and 3D printed the functional external centerline fuel tank which made this one of the easiest conversions I have done. Here are the finished photos.

Finished jet

Turbine mounted between EDF tunnels

Functional 3D printed semi scale center line fuel tank with FOD shield for turbine.

NOTE: Keith can not print and sell the tanks due to free design software use restrictions, but he has posted the 3D CAD files in Thingiverse. You can download and print as many as you like for free.
The Thingiverse link is:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4651488

Front of tank

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-13-2020 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jescardin (11-14-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Viper1GJ

And it starts with a box. Keith and I saw the FW Mig 29 EDF fly at the SC Tiger Meet in October and immediately thought it would be a perfect turbine conversion. Keith has done 6 and I have done 4 using the K-45G3 and so far this is the easiest one to do. It requires very little foam cutting.

Touch up paint from Home Depot paint samples.

Paint match for AB nozzle shrouds

Touch up paint for AB nozzles that I had in the shop.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Viper1GJ

Mounting turbine

Based on Keith's recommendations and experience from his F-14 conversion I put in some down thrust to compensate for the under slung turbine mount. The amount was 2 degrees based on highly complex TLAR (that looks about right) calculations. The EDF thrust line is the edge of the EDF hatch. I made a card board template to transfer the 2 degree down to the foam.

Stop right here and don't do this!
Next I made a wood template to use as a hot wire cutting guide. I forgot to add the space above it needed for the turbine mounts. As a result my slot was 1/2" too low. If you use this method be sure not to follow my photos as you will have to shim the turbine up about 1/2" to clear he bottom of the fuse.

Hot wire cutter

Slide wire back through the foam. Depth of cut is controlled by the pliers next to the wood.

Slot cut

ARRRGH! My slot was cut too low as I forgot to compensate for the radius of the turbine mount.

Now the fix. Trace turbine wings on foam.

Mark foam to be removed

Plywood rails in foam

Hot wire cutter to remove foam

Foam removed

2 1/4" ply shims placed on top of turbine rails. YOU can avoid this fix if you just cut the slots where they need to be in the first place!

Ok here

Parts ready to glue in

E6000 used to glue in wood. Keith did a glue test with BSI Foam Safe, E6000, and Six10 epoxy. By far the E6000 was best because it bonded to the foam much better.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Viper1GJ

Install pitot tube

I will be using a Digitech CTU with an airspeed sensor. Foam had to be removed from the radom to install the pitot tube.

Careful at the nose since removing too much foam will cut through the surface. Just enough clearance for the air tubes to the module is all that is needed.

Done

Doesn't look bad.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:00 AM
Viper1GJ

Replacing stock stab servos

There have been some issues with the Mig 29s crashing due to loss of pitch control. The events are well covered in other threads and I won't repeat here. Keith and I decided to replace the stock micro servos with hi torque mini servos and change the stock linkage to 4-40 rods.

I also replace the stock servo extensions with Powerbox Maxi wire

Existing servo hole cut to larger size

Edges cleaned up

New servo installed

4-40 threaded rod used

Pushrod squared to servo arm not the fuse side

Carbon sleeve over threaded rod and inner hole used in servo arm.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:12 AM
Viper1GJ

The has been much discussion about the stab mounts twisting on the stock fuse so Keith and I modified the stab mounts as follows.

6mm aluminum rod cut to 190mm

Rod had to be sanded some to fit inside the stab bearings

6mm drill bit used to drill through foam in nozzle

Areas around holes scuffed inside nozzle

Dry fit of plywood hard points inside nozzle

Hard points glued in with E6000

This mod stopped the twisting on the stab bearing in the fuse. Very stiff now.

Mods painted to match nozzle color inside and out.
spitty (09-29-2021)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:01 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What a great step by step amigo. I have an X45 that I intend to use on my conversion. Any chance I can chat with ya about getting a centerline tank? Thank you buck
Old 11-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ View Post
The has been much discussion about the stab mounts twisting on the stock fuse so Keith and I modified the stab mounts as follows.

Thats a great idea to reinforce the stabs!
Tone
spitty (09-29-2021)
Old 11-13-2020, 03:36 PM
yellowbird911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thingiverse is taking forever to process the files I uploaded for the tank. Here is the link to my files on Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...PeQoCYHNVN7Eu7
Old 11-13-2020, 04:18 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ View Post

Thats a great idea to reinforce the stabs!
Tone
Old 11-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Viper1GJ

Turbine mounting and aluminum tape

Turbine mounting holes drilled

Turbine screwed on with 3/4" screws to get through all the shims into the mounting rails.

HVAC tape applied to areas around turbine hot section

Gunmetal and grey paint applied to HVAC tape to blend in to the fuse colors later.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:46 PM
Viper1GJ

The Tank

What makes this foamy conversion so easy and different is the functional centerline fuel tank. There was not much room for fuel near the CG on the inside of the fuse. Keith had 3D printed external tanks for his F-14 conversion and suggested an operational centerline tank. I found a few photos of the Mig 29 with centerline tanks and Keith went to work making CAD magic.

Good view a scale tank

Rear view

I read that the black hole in the rear of the tank was an APU exhaust port that went through the tank. Could not confirm but it makes sense.

This stuff is way above my paygrade.

Screen shots of CAD magic

And from this you can print real stuff. Who would have ever thunk it?
Old 11-13-2020, 07:18 PM
Viper1GJ

The 3D printed semi scale external fuel tank is the heart of this turbine conversion and is what made it so easy since there was very little foam carving needed to fit in the fuel near the CG. This was my first time to do an external tank so I basically followed Keith's lead and advice.

The tank comes out of the printer in 5 pieces. Front, rear, 2 baffles, and a fuel tube holder (not shown here). The tank is printed out of clear PETG filament which Keith says is fuel proof. It is later sealed with a coat of epoxy resin inside and out.

The rear section has a flat front face that forms the rear wall of the tank when the rear section is joined to the front section. The rear section is hollow and is the FOD shield for the turbine. Only the front section holds fuel. We estimate it holds 40oz of fuel. With the 14oz header tank inside the fuse the total fuel capacity is about 54oz plus air trap fuel.

The rear section plugs into the front section with about a 3mm overlap and forms the back of the tank

The two baffles are indexed on small tabs inside the front section

This shows baffles tacked in position with CA

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-14-2020 at 04:49 PM.
spitty (09-29-2021)
Old 11-13-2020, 07:23 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Man, how are some people born with all the talent and the rest of us are just trying to keep up!!

Outstanding! Just Outstanding!!!

Old 11-13-2020, 07:26 PM
Viper1GJ

Hey Rav,
Keith my buddy has the talent, I just beat on it with a hammer till it looks ok.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:31 PM
ravill

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

There is no clunk in the design? Air is trapped in the header tank instead?
Old 11-14-2020, 04:56 AM
Bob_B

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Gary I noticed in the videos the stabs bow during flight when the flaps are lowered in particular. I would be inclined to glass the stabs as a final step. Looking forward to your flight videos.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:03 AM
Viper1GJ

Rav, yes the theory is the air is caught in the header tank in the fuse. Ill post some photos to show the total system.

Bob, I had thought of that or maybe a strip of carbon tow on top and bottom for same purpose. Still working on it but the stabs are where most of the flex is now after the stab pivot rod mod. Thanks.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-14-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Viper1GJ

Installing header tank

Dubro 14 oz tank in rear battery compartment fits perfectly.

I removed the factory wood parts and cut out the foam to make a flat floor for the header tank

Foam removed

Header tank floor. NOTE: I did not yet have the centerline tank when I cut this piece. If you do this floor make it the full length of the compartment since the front lug of the center line tank will be mounted to this wood piece. I had to extend mine later.

Area for foam removal for tank hold down strap. Make the wood extend all the way to the front of the compartment for later centerline tank mounting.

Foam removal

Thin Velcro strap in

Tank in

Winged felt clunk part number from DDM Racing Davesmotorsports.com if you want to use one

WInged felt clunk

Tank build. I forgot I only needed two brass tubes and later removed the third tube.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-14-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:01 PM
Viper1GJ

Turbine mount touch up paint

Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal matches the dark silver in front of the AB nozzles for the turbine mounts

Old 11-14-2020, 12:29 PM
Viper1GJ

Mounting front half of centerline tank

Tank parts

1/4" plywood used for main tank mount into foam. Plywood needs to extend inside the EDF ducts for later reinforcement

Plywood mount and tank in the NACA cheater holes. Tank lugs are against the aft edge of the NACA hole

Foam removed down to bottom of fuse on each side

Lines for foam removal for plywood mount

1/4" foam removed making the plywood flush with the fuse bottom

Dry fit plywood in slot

Holes drilled to fit tank mounting lugs and 6-32 blind nuts installed, CA glued, and taped over to prevent glue from fouling the threads. E6000 will be used to glue in tank mounts later

6-32 bolt with rubber sealing washer to hold against plastic mounting lug

From inside the duct. The plywood extending inside the duct is for reinforcement against the foam since this is the main part holding on the tank under G loads

Rear tank part dry fit to ensure everything is correct.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-14-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:39 PM
Viper1GJ

Front tank lug mount

Tap front lug hole for 6-32 bolt

1/4" ply front mount bolted to tank lug

Plywood outline traced on foam fuse bottom

Area of foam removal

Remove foam from under header tank floor. This is where I learned I should have made the tank floor cover the entire front compartment.

Ply wood tank mount rounded to fit foam shape behind nose gear doors. I did not work too hard here since it on the bottom and out of site

Header tank floor extended, drilled, and counter sunk for a 6-32 flat head bolt

Header tank fits over bolt

Front and rear tank mounts glued in with E6000, weighted, and let dry overnight

Internal plywood braces cut from 1/8" plywood

Brackets installed on inside of each duct. Epoxy is used on the wood to wood contact areas and E6000 is used on the wood to foam contact areas. This to help spread the load over the foam holding the tank on the jet during G loads

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-14-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Viper1GJ

Rear tank mounts and turbine air inlet holes

Rear tank section is taped in place on front tank section and then the FOD cover lines are traced on the foam

FOD cover lines traced on foam

Turbine air inlet cut lines marked just below the FOD cover lines

Turbine air inlet holes cut by removing foam from the EDF hatches

Turbine inlet holes

FOD shield mounting tab location marked on foam just below the FOD cover line. Slot cut with hot wire as before for 1/8" ply mounting tabs

Mounting tabs installed and drilled

View from the rear

Rear section of tank FOD cover secured with servo screws. Now the front section of the tank and the rear section of the tank can be glued together and held in alignment with the front mounting bolts and rear screws while epoxy is curing....but not yet!

Old 11-14-2020, 01:42 PM
Viper1GJ

Sealing, installing fuel tubes, joining, and painting the tank

The inside and outside is sealed with a coat of epoxy. We used West Systems 106 with 206 hardener. I mixed 60 grams and it did the whole job. First prepare a place where the epoxy can drain out when pored in the front tank. Next prepare a hanger system that will allow parts to drain and cure with out touching. I used a coat hanger wire on the front part and the mounting holes in the FOD shield on the rear part. Keith used a screw in the front lug. Pour enough epoxy in the front section and roll it around to coat all the inside surfaces. The epoxy will secure the baffles to the sides. Allow the epoxy to drain out and then brush a coat on the outside of all surfaces on both front and rear sections. NOTE: This step must be done before the fuel tubes are installed.

After the epoxy is cured the hardened drips are ground off the front and rear sections for a good joint

Rear section cleaned up.

Next the 5/32" brass pickup tube hole is drilled aiming at the center of the rear baffle.

The drill passes through the front baffle and the tube is pushed in through the center of the rear baffle

The brass pickup tube is bent to fit prior to tack gluing in with CA. The fuel tube holder is shown here.

Fuel pick up tube is tacked in with CA at the front hole and is NOT glued to the holder. Only the holder is glued to the bottom of the tank. This allows the tube to expand and contract and flex inside the tank and not stress the glue joints.

Vent tube drilled and installed on left side here. After tacking in with CA and getting proper alignment the tubes and tubing holder are glued in with SIX10 epoxy. The tube holder is also epoxied to the bottom of the tank. NOTE: the tube is not glued into the holder, only the holder glued to the tank bottom so that the tube can flex in the holder. On my jet I chose to put the pickup on the right and vent on the left.

Next a piece of plastic is laid across the fuse bottom where he tank joint is. Then SIX10 epoxy is applied to the front and rear sections and they are pressed together. Squeeze out is cleaned off and then I taped the tank parts together. Then the tank is transferred to the fuse mounts and screwed down. This photo shows the tape removed and the tank is screwed to the mounts and ready to cure.

It is critical not to get epoxy in the fuel pick up tube. I had it about 1/2" ahead of the joint line.

Tank removed when epoxy cured. An under water leak check should be done and any pin holes fixed. I had no leaks. I rough sanded the tank with 220 wet sandpaper.

I brushed on a thick coat of 2K auto primer and let it cure

Next was a wet sanding with 220 paper. I kept telling my self " its on the bottom out of sight" so I didn't go overboard with finishing

Next I brushed on 2 coats of KlassKote satin white epoxy paint and let it cure overnight

I free handed the grey and black paint on the rear section

Good enough, Its on the bottom!

All done it was 14.1 oz and came out much better than I expected. I was happy with the results.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-14-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Viper1GJ

Making fiberglass NACA hole FOD covers

2 layers of 3 oz cloth placed into two cut off 1 gal zip lock freezer bags like envelopes

Epoxy resin poured in on glass cloth and excess resin squeegeed out

Freezer bags taped on engine necelles to cure

Cured parts cut to size and corner holes drilled over NACA holes. The center line tank holds the lower part of the covers in place.

Plywood squares imbedded in foam to hold screws

Covers painted and trimmed to clear tank mounting lugs

Covers installed with small screws

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.