Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy 120/90

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy 120/90

Old 08-28-2022, 06:11 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

In Denver Colorado the high mile city, we wished these turbines worked at the higher altitudes, from what I have personally seen and heard the experience here in Colorado has been the following, X45 flame outs, X85 hot start (partial user error), X120 issues starting and turbine shutting down on take off.

Now before you start jumping on the bandwagon, micro turbines operate very different at higher alts, now factor in the summer and when density alt can reach close to 10,000ft. Our experience here in Colorado has been not great with them, anyone who's owned one have sold them. Personally I had high hopes and my plan was to buy the x90 and x180, I was sold on the sensor that auto calibrates temps and atmospheric pressures, less to mess with.

Competition is always great and Xicoy do sell quality products. I'm interested to hear why were not having the same success as others?, IMO I think a lot has to do with the diameter of the compressor area and how much air flow is going through, bigger the diameter less issues for us it would seem. There are other known manufacture's that have the same issues, one particularly the smaller versions won't work, while the midsize and larger turbines operate very well.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:14 PM
Danneman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi View Post
It appears Xicoy is releasing a few new models. X60 and X225 appear to be brand new, and the X90 is derated to X85.
I check the spec's between an X90 and X85, dimensional and weight wise the models appear identical. However, the max RPM is reduced by 2k and the idle is up 3k.
I do wonder why? Was 90N too much for the turbine and folks were having early failures? Or was the X90 never truly capable of 90N and Gaspar is just keeping it real?
Should I set my max RMP down 2,000 to be safe?

Home
I wonder where you got the info of idle is up 3k?
My X90 have always had 48k as idle and in the X85 info it says idle 48k...
Old 08-29-2022, 04:26 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Xicoy took down the X90 data, But I found it at FB-RC's site. I cannot say if it is correct, I just copied it.

Originally Posted by Danneman View Post
I wonder where you got the info of idle is up 3k?
My X90 have always had 48k as idle and in the X85 info it says idle 48k...
Old 08-29-2022, 07:12 AM
FenderBean

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Except they are now extinct!
When you buy the 85 you are getting the same motor as before just setup different.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:15 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by highhorse View Post
How so?
This was the information sent to us by Gaspar. He has details if you want more in depth information but that was main issue given and it will speed up production and lead times to something more reasonable.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:52 AM
highhorse

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

OK guys, let’s fill this information gap with information straight from Gaspar. I will cut/paste his exact email to me below, but what it boils down to is this:

1) Some 90’s were not making specced thrust during pre-ship testing, and those slowed down the manufacturing process while they were culled and rebuilt to ensure full performance prior to delivery.

2) The 85’s are PHYSICALLY the EXACT SAME ENGINE, but the advertised specs are slightly de-rated to a more conservative figure so as to allow shipping of all rather than most of the engines. The more conservative specs mean that all 85’s will meet advertised performance and some will exceed those numbers, without slowing production and delivery to re-work the few engines that weren’t performing.

3) The 90’s currently on order and awaiting delivery will indeed be 90’s, and not 85’s. After the backlog clears, 90’s will be discontinued and 85’s will take their place.

Gaspar replied to my query on this topic within hours and was very forthcoming. This has only strengthened my my trust in the brand, and made me wish that all manufacturers within our hobby were so responsive.

Here is his reply to me in full…….

Hello Don,

No, if you ordered X90s, you will get them.

The reason of the change is that during production, some of the engines don't arrive to the minimum power required, this cause that some nicely running engines being rejected on test, dissembled, tweaked and tested again. We see that this process often mean more than one rebuild until the engine is compliant, wasting the time necessary to build 3 engines. So, from now, the engines that are a bit short of power will be sold as X85, so that the production of new engines would continue at normal speed without need to repeat work already done. Once the orders of X90 fulfilled, then we will discontinue it. This mean that some X85 will have more than 85N, but for mass production is the optimum situation, not having to reject engines and keeping the production flowing without interruptions.

Hope is clear ,

Gaspar

Last edited by highhorse; 08-29-2022 at 08:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by highhorse:
grbaker (08-29-2022), rchotdogpilot (08-29-2022), sakumar (12-05-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 09:03 AM
rchotdogpilot
My Feedback: (27)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes perfect sense. Love my 120 and 180. Can't wait for the 225!
The following 2 users liked this post by rchotdogpilot:
Bob_B (08-29-2022), LA jetguy (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 10:29 AM
David Gladwin

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

How refreshing to see a manufacturer being totally honest and clearly living in the real world !
His statements make eminent sense and serves to reinforce my trust in this brand, which I am confident will be, is, the Porsche/ BMW of model turbines !
To add to my 45 and two 120s I have a 90 and 180 on order, the 90/85 will be reviewed in RCJI as soon as Gaspar can deliver and installed for flight evaluation in my Paritech DG 300 glider and a BVM BobCat XL.

The 180 will be installed on my BVM F4 replacing the AMT Pegasus. Much less weight, more thrust and lower burn!
What could be better ?
Old 08-29-2022, 11:00 AM
highhorse

the Porsche/ BMW of model turbines !
While not wanting to hijack this thread into an automotive discussion, Since I own one of his turbines already with two more on order, can’t help saying that I for one am NOT hoping that Gaspar’s goal is to create an over-priced, unreliable, and ridiculously expensive to maintain product :-)
Old 08-29-2022, 01:25 PM
FenderBean

Talking

While not wanting to hijack this thread into an automotive discussion, Since I own one of his turbines already with two more on order, can’t help saying that I for one am NOT hoping that Gaspar’s goal is to create an over-priced, unreliable, and ridiculously expensive to maintain product :-)
If this was his plan or what I observed from working with him for a few years now I would never continue to sell his product.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:33 PM
pcskyhi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Xicoy and diesel fuel

Can someone answer the question regarding the use of diesel fuel in Xicoy turbines. When I purchased my X45 it was advertised to run on kerosene, Jet A, and diesel. I recently looked and now it is only advertised for kerosene. I had some issues initially with mine and I sent it in and everything was straightened out. I run diesel on all my turbines and that is not going to change. Diesel is easily accessible for me to purchase. I also noticed even on the bigger turbines it now says, "can run diesel but not suggested". I was considering a bigger Xicoy turbine for another project but the statement they are saying about diesel makes me feel uncomfortable, like I need to start looking elsewhere for turbines that run fine on diesel. So, when and why did diesel become a no-go for Xicoy turbines? I specifically purchased my X45 because it was the only 45 that claimed it could run on diesel and now the script has been flipped.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:03 PM
highhorse

Well as with another recently posted question you can get a lot of guessed-at answers here, or you can do what i did - go to the main Xicoy site and contact Gaspar for the straight scoop.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:04 AM
FenderBean

Well as with another recently posted question you can get a lot of guessed-at answers here, or you can do what i did - go to the main Xicoy site and contact Gaspar for the straight scoop.
Well I did respond to the question on why the lower thrust.

Last edited by FenderBean; 08-30-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:31 AM
jvaliensi

Originally Posted by pcskyhi View Post
Can someone answer the question regarding the use of diesel fuel in Xicoy turbines. When I purchased my X45 it was advertised to run on kerosene, Jet A, and diesel. I recently looked and now it is only advertised for kerosene. I had some issues initially with mine and I sent it in and everything was straightened out. I run diesel on all my turbines and that is not going to change. Diesel is easily accessible for me to purchase. I also noticed even on the bigger turbines it now says, "can run diesel but not suggested". I was considering a bigger Xicoy turbine for another project but the statement they are saying about diesel makes me feel uncomfortable, like I need to start looking elsewhere for turbines that run fine on diesel. So, when and why did diesel become a no-go for Xicoy turbines? I specifically purchased my X45 because it was the only 45 that claimed it could run on diesel and now the script has been flipped.
I've seen a couple x45 failures due to carbon buildup on the turbine wheel. I think the little engine is sensitive to excessive oil in the fuel. I use kerosene w/ 4% oil. If I was using diesel, I'd try 3% oil.
Kerosene is harder to get compared to diesel, with current pricing kerosene may be cheaper! A x45 uses a 1/2 liter per flight, so a five gallon can goes for some time.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:51 AM
highhorse

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
Well I did respond to the question on why the lower thrust.
Mmmm…sorta. Lack of detail. When I asked for more info you were in fact the very one who sent me to Gaspar.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:58 AM
rchotdogpilot
My Feedback: (27)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

highhorse I'm guessing there may be some misunderstanding. Fenderbean is a US service and distributor of Xicoy Turbines. So I'm guessing his information would have been from Gaspar directly early on. He isn't the type to intentionally deceive, or give you the run around. He's a hobbyist like us 1st and foremost. .
Old 08-30-2022, 11:07 AM
highhorse

Originally Posted by rchotdogpilot View Post
highhorse I'm guessing there may be some misunderstanding. Fenderbean is a US service and distributor of Xicoy Turbines. So I'm guessing his information would have been from Gaspar directly early on. He isn't the type to intentionally deceive, or give you the run around. He's a hobbyist like us 1st and foremost. .
Confusion, yes. I am well aware of the distributorship as I bought my 120 from Keith and have two 90’s on order. No one has remotely implied that he’s less than 100% honest, let alone myself. When I asked for more info/clarification he sent me to Gaspar to fill in the blanks. I did so and subsequently passed along that info here. The additional info therein undoubtedly assisted both Keith and Gaspar as well as all current or potential customers of this excellent brand. There’s nothing nefarious to be read into those events. My apologies if anything above caused anyone to infer otherwise.

Last edited by highhorse; 08-30-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:29 PM
pcskyhi

I've seen a couple x45 failures due to carbon buildup on the turbine wheel. I think the little engine is sensitive to excessive oil in the fuel. I use kerosene w/ 4% oil. If I was using diesel, I'd try 3% oil.
Kerosene is harder to get compared to diesel, with current pricing kerosene may be cheaper! A x45 uses a 1/2 liter per flight, so a five gallon can goes for some time.
what about the bigger turbines, no longer recommends diesel on those either? I currently run 4% oil, the Power Model Jet Oil. I think I will be leaving the Xicoy brand as far as turbines go and just enjoy their electronics. If the turbines don’t like diesel I can’t see myself using them. I had really looked forward to purchasing another turbine from them. Oh well.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:56 PM
jvaliensi

from my manual:Fuel

The engine can be run using Kerosene or Diesel fuel. Kerosene is the recommended fuel if available; it produces the best user experience, as the engine starts and accelerates faster, without smoke, flames or

[img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/064924f5-b7dd-4050-871d-76eaa8ca8c1f[/img] [img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/b5d9db65-62b4-4d40-a260-40de1ef6a253[/img] [img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/96c25334-ad78-452a-a0d0-c5f3e8de31c4[/img]Copyright © 2020 by Xicoy Electrònica S.L. All rights reserved Page 9

User Manual X45 Version 1.2/2020

unpleasant smell. Diesel fuel is acceptable, the engine will not be damaged by using it, but user experience will be worse. Power is the same using both fuels.

Recommended Kerosene fuel is the odourless refined Kerosene (some countries call it ”Paraffin”) used in home stoves, there are different commercial brands like “keroclair”, “Ptx200”, “Petroleum”.as it is very clean and burn without smell. JetA1 will work the same but should be carefully filtered before use, but its odour can be offensive during model storage.

Oil

A 4% of oil should be mixed with the fuel. The recommended mix is a 3% of ISO32 type of oil, commercial brands like Mobil DTE lite, Shell Tellus 32, Igol 32, Cepsa Turbine 32, etc) plus 1% of 100% synthetic 2 stroke oil. Plenty of commercial brands available locally, just check in the bottle that the oil is JASO FC or JASO FD compliant. Commercial turbine oils like Kingtech oil, Jetcat oil, Jackadofsky oil, Fuchs, Deluxe... can be used.

It is allowed to use a 5% of oil contents for compatibility with other engine brands, this will cause a higher fuel consumption and increased possibility of internal carbon building. Full size turbine oils can be used, but are not recommended because these oils are not intended to be burned, irritant and contains neurotoxic chemicals such as tricresyl phosphate that in long term could impact negatively on the health of operators and other persons breathing the exhaust fumes. Aeroshell 500 should not be used at all due at high residues left on bearings

Do not use 2 stroke oil alone (4%). This will gum the bearings causing difficult or impossible startup when engine be cold.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:00 PM
pcskyhi

from my manual:Fuel

The engine can be run using Kerosene or Diesel fuel. Kerosene is the recommended fuel if available; it produces the best user experience, as the engine starts and accelerates faster, without smoke, flames or

[img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/064924f5-b7dd-4050-871d-76eaa8ca8c1f[/img] [img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/b5d9db65-62b4-4d40-a260-40de1ef6a253[/img] [img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/96c25334-ad78-452a-a0d0-c5f3e8de31c4[/img]Copyright © 2020 by Xicoy Electrònica S.L. All rights reserved Page 9

User Manual X45 Version 1.2/2020

unpleasant smell. Diesel fuel is acceptable, the engine will not be damaged by using it, but user experience will be worse. Power is the same using both fuels.

Recommended Kerosene fuel is the odourless refined Kerosene (some countries call it ”Paraffin”) used in home stoves, there are different commercial brands like “keroclair”, “Ptx200”, “Petroleum”.as it is very clean and burn without smell. JetA1 will work the same but should be carefully filtered before use, but its odour can be offensive during model storage.

Oil

A 4% of oil should be mixed with the fuel. The recommended mix is a 3% of ISO32 type of oil, commercial brands like Mobil DTE lite, Shell Tellus 32, Igol 32, Cepsa Turbine 32, etc) plus 1% of 100% synthetic 2 stroke oil. Plenty of commercial brands available locally, just check in the bottle that the oil is JASO FC or JASO FD compliant. Commercial turbine oils like Kingtech oil, Jetcat oil, Jackadofsky oil, Fuchs, Deluxe... can be used.

It is allowed to use a 5% of oil contents for compatibility with other engine brands, this will cause a higher fuel consumption and increased possibility of internal carbon building. Full size turbine oils can be used, but are not recommended because these oils are not intended to be burned, irritant and contains neurotoxic chemicals such as tricresyl phosphate that in long term could impact negatively on the health of operators and other persons breathing the exhaust fumes. Aeroshell 500 should not be used at all due at high residues left on bearings

Do not use 2 stroke oil alone (4%). This will gum the bearings causing difficult or impossible startup when engine be cold.
that is all old information. When you go to the Xicoy turbines website, diesel is no longer mentioned in the description under recommended fuel for the X45 (X45). Kerosene is the only fuel mentioned for the X45
Old 08-30-2022, 04:14 PM
pcskyhi

On bigger turbines you get: this “Kerosene + 4% oil. Diesel allowed but not recommended”. For me, when I hear not recommended, I don’t do it. Obviously through time and development of their turbines Xicoy realizes their turbines don’t do well on diesel. All my other turbines are doing well on diesel so regrettably I won’t be using Xicoy turbines even though I feel they probably make some of the most advanced turbines for our hobby. If kerosene was as available as diesel in my region I would probably switch fuel types.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:28 PM
jvaliensi

Originally Posted by pcskyhi View Post
that is all old information. When you go to the Xicoy turbines website, diesel is no longer mentioned in the description under recommended fuel for the X45 (X45). Kerosene is the only fuel mentioned for the X45
Yup, that is from the 1st manual I got, you can tell by the date that I left on.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:44 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

The following users liked this post:
pcskyhi (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 08:55 PM
pcskyhi

Removed. Double post

Last edited by pcskyhi; 08-30-2022 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:03 PM
pcskyhi

The chart leaves off the “not recommended” part off which is currently on their website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.