Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy 120/90

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy 120/90

Old 02-15-2021, 10:44 AM
  #1  
David Gladwin
Thread Starter
 
David Gladwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CookhamBerkshire, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 3,826
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Xicoy 120/90

Anyone using these. engines yet, impressions ?
I have a 45, hugely impressive engine.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:36 PM
  #2  
LA jetguy
 
LA jetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 807
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

I have an X120 in my joker and I love it... made the joker alive. I have over 30 flights (8 today). It an awesome turbine. Just got another one delivered today (for bandit MKII) and another coming for classic rebel. Just ordered an X90 for my Wizard S.

if you liked the X45 you will like it’s bigger brother..

David
The following users liked this post:
Tom ling (12-13-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 02:02 AM
  #3  
David Gladwin
Thread Starter
 
David Gladwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CookhamBerkshire, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 3,826
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Thank you for that.

Sonia has now confirmed my order for a120, a mate for my 45 now going into an early BVM F 16.

You must have a test engine as Sonia says mine wont be available til the 120 is in test stage, April.
I’ll wait !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 02-16-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:02 PM
  #4  
c/f
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: evansville, IN
Posts: 866
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Well I it wasnt till I seen the specs of the xicoy 120 to get me to move into the 21st century from my trusty ole AMT usa turbines (9) in total, 20 years later no service most of them years and bullet proof easily starting these days with lipo leaf blowers if I dont keep up with scuba tank air, spool downs still tracked in seconds no deceernable decay in time. But holy cow moving up to kero start of 28lb thrust in a 90 sized case, ridiculus, mine has been bought and paid for since Thanksgiving 2020. no delievery date yet. Mine will go into a BVM Bobcat XL that currently runs a Mercury in hopes to be able to grass field takoff with 2.5" wheels. Then I can only imagine the verticals and balls out speed. I use the Graupner MZ32 and its my understanding that I will be able to moniter engine starting on Graupner screens along with any voice telemetry items I chose to configure for?? part of the fun.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:03 AM
  #5  
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)
 
Bob_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bluegrass State of Mind
Posts: 4,645
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

C/F bring it to Rosewood. I want to see your X120 in operation. I love my X45s! Maybe I need to put an X120 in my Joker.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:01 AM
  #6  
FenderBean
 
FenderBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 7,065
Likes: 0
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c/f View Post
Well I it wasnt till I seen the specs of the xicoy 120 to get me to move into the 21st century from my trusty ole AMT usa turbines (9) in total, 20 years later no service most of them years and bullet proof easily starting these days with lipo leaf blowers if I dont keep up with scuba tank air, spool downs still tracked in seconds no deceernable decay in time. But holy cow moving up to kero start of 28lb thrust in a 90 sized case, ridiculus, mine has been bought and paid for since Thanksgiving 2020. no delievery date yet. Mine will go into a BVM Bobcat XL that currently runs a Mercury in hopes to be able to grass field takoff with 2.5" wheels. Then I can only imagine the verticals and balls out speed. I use the Graupner MZ32 and its my understanding that I will be able to moniter engine starting on Graupner screens along with any voice telemetry items I chose to configure for?? part of the fun.
If you got it from me not to worry, the 90s/120s will start to ship soon!
The following users liked this post:
Sparhawk (02-20-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:25 AM
  #7  
LA jetguy
 
LA jetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 807
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

They are amazing turbines... I'm putting my second X120 in a Rebel Classic... hopefully will be ready for Florida Jets.

David
Old 02-17-2021, 11:53 AM
  #8  
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: northridge, CA
Posts: 611
Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

I think I'll put a X90 in a Rebel Hot
Old 02-17-2021, 11:59 AM
  #9  
LA jetguy
 
LA jetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 807
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jvaliensi View Post
I think I'll put a X90 in a Rebel Hot
Would be excellent .. I will have my X90 very soon so you can see it for size... Almost a M70 size.

Place your order with Keith and go on the list... List is growing in Europe... season is starting
Old 02-17-2021, 12:05 PM
  #10  
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: northridge, CA
Posts: 611
Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

I am on the list, I think I'm no. 10 on the list.

Go Gaspar, GO!
The following users liked this post:
LA jetguy (02-17-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 12:39 AM
  #11  
David Gladwin
Thread Starter
 
David Gladwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CookhamBerkshire, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 3,826
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Well, I at last got to fly my Xicoy 120 yesterday, 5 flights in my long suffering PST Reaction test/evaluation model, same engine as in the RCJI review.

Testing the Reaction with GPS and ASI with Core telemetry when powered by. 29 pound thrust PST 1300 max level speed average was 169 mph.

Yesterday with the Xicoy 120 max speed was 188 , so allowing for the 15 mph tailwind, max TAS speed was 173, slightly up on the PST but with less thrust, by about two pounds, and in a higher temp. than when the Reaction was flown with the 1300 and from an engine which weighs just a little more than half that of the 1300, itself a superb but dated engine.

Xicoy and Gaspar have another winner here !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 06-12-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:54 AM
  #12  
Rudeboy
 
Rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kortessem, BELGIUM
Posts: 3,603
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jvaliensi View Post
I think I'll put a X90 in a Rebel Hot
That was exactly my first thought when I got my Rebel Hot.
Airframe is just over 5 kg dry with a K70g2...performance on the X90 will be awesome! 😬

Last edited by Rudeboy; 06-12-2021 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:41 PM
  #13  
hotspot 01
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

We had the 120 flying over the last couple of days in a skymaster viper suburb performance.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:30 AM
  #14  
David Gladwin
Thread Starter
 
David Gladwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CookhamBerkshire, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 3,826
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

New Xicoy 180 is in final test phase !
Old 12-11-2021, 03:09 AM
  #15  
LA jetguy
 
LA jetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 807
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by David Gladwin View Post
New Xicoy 180 is in final test phase !
Yes will be getting mine soon.. 😁
Old 07-26-2022, 06:15 AM
  #16  
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)
 
Canadian Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Posts: 705
Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts
Default

Old 07-26-2022, 07:51 AM
  #17  
rchotdogpilot
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Strongsville, OH
Posts: 195
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Just recently found out about a happy coincidence regarding the 180. The 180 and 120 can be swapped out without changing the pump and ECU. The "Install Kit" is the same for both. Same pump and ECU. So, unbolt the 120, unplug the connector and fuel line and drop in the 180 and done (with the exception of balance, 3S battery and possibly throttle teach). I plan on making a mounting system to swap between the 2 in my Pilot 2M Viper. 😈
Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 AM
  #18  
Danneman
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Falkoping, SWEDEN
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rchotdogpilot View Post
Just recently found out about a happy coincidence regarding the 180. The 180 and 120 can be swapped out without changing the pump and ECU. The "Install Kit" is the same for both. Same pump and ECU. So, unbolt the 120, unplug the connector and fuel line and drop in the 180 and done (with the exception of balance, 3S battery and possibly throttle teach). I plan on making a mounting system to swap between the 2 in my Pilot 2M Viper. 😈
Just to clarify, it's not a Ecu. It's a hub, the Ecu is under the front cover of the turbine.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:57 AM
  #19  
rchotdogpilot
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Strongsville, OH
Posts: 195
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Yes, I know. Hence the reason I can make the switch. I was just trying to "dumb it down" for others. But thank you for clarifying for others.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:53 PM
  #20  
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: northridge, CA
Posts: 611
Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

It appears Xicoy is releasing a few new models. X60 and X225 appear to be brand new, and the X90 is derated to X85.
I check the spec's between an X90 and X85, dimensional and weight wise the models appear identical. However, the max RPM is reduced by 2k and the idle is up 3k.
I do wonder why? Was 90N too much for the turbine and folks were having early failures? Or was the X90 never truly capable of 90N and Gaspar is just keeping it real?
Should I set my max RMP down 2,000 to be safe?

Home
Old 08-28-2022, 01:01 PM
  #21  
FenderBean
 
FenderBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 7,065
Likes: 0
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jvaliensi View Post
It appears Xicoy is releasing a few new models. X60 and X225 appear to be brand new, and the X90 is derated to X85.
I check the spec's between an X90 and X85, dimensional and weight wise the models appear identical. However, the max RPM is reduced by 2k and the idle is up 3k.
I do wonder why? Was 90N too much for the turbine and folks were having early failures? Or was the X90 never truly capable of 90N and Gaspar is just keeping it real?
Should I set my max RMP down 2,000 to be safe?

Home
The reduction has nothing to do with performance and will not change anything with current 90 owners. Its to help manufacture them faster.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:11 PM
  #22  
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)
 
Bob_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bluegrass State of Mind
Posts: 4,645
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

My X90 has been flawless!
Old 08-28-2022, 03:02 PM
  #23  
FenderBean
 
FenderBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 7,065
Likes: 0
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
My X90 has been flawless!
There is nothing wrong with the current 90s, cheers!
Old 08-28-2022, 05:48 PM
  #24  
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: northridge, CA
Posts: 611
Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
There is nothing wrong with the current 90s, cheers!
Except they are now extinct!
Old 08-28-2022, 05:55 PM
  #25  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,525
Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
The reduction has nothing to do with performance and will not change anything with current 90 owners. Its to help manufacture them faster.
How so?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.