Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I'm very disappointed with ROBART / DV8R brakes

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I'm very disappointed with ROBART / DV8R brakes

Old 03-01-2021, 10:03 AM
  #1  
medjets
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando-FL
Posts: 122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm very disappointed with ROBART / DV8R brakes

Hi guys,

I'm living a dilemma with Robart.
Here's a summary to understand the whole story.
Firstly, a few years ago when PCM Models was on the market, we bought a DV8R kit without L/G and stored it for a future project. When in September 2017 we sent an email to Robart, requesting a quote for the electric landing gear system and brakes to start assembling the kit, and we received a quote from a person from Robart. In November 2017 we finally placed the order and made the payment and delivery of the order would be for 6-8 weeks. After 8 weeks, we sent many emails to Robart requesting the status of the order when at the end of April 2018 it was ready to be sent. We received the box, opened it for a quick check and storing it, because due to so much delay, we chose to continue another project that was in progress.
At the end of last year we finished building the DV8R and last week when I was installing the landing gear, I noticed that something was not right with the brake system. The brake disc was correct but the wheel that was placed on the order by Robart itself was not the one prepared for brake. I went to check the order and Robart really made a mistake in the wheel model that doesn't fit the brake disc. It is a wheel for use without a brake.
Note that the order contains wheel # 138F0 (no brake), but he should have inserted wheel # 138F0B (brake ready).

Result ... I showed all this to Robart VP-Sales and he said it's out of warranty and I will have to buy another wheel. How? I'm not complaining about a problem or manufacturing defect, but it is evident that he sent me the wrong wheel. I would only like to replace the wheel. I'm very sad with Robart, because I trusted to buy a specific landing gear for the DV8R of the best brand I knew for an above average price and to be treated as if I wanted to take some advantage.
I tried to make them see the error but no longer responds to emails. That's how a consumer is treated.
I leave here my story with Robart.









Old 03-01-2021, 01:09 PM
  #2  
ravill
My Feedback: (11)
 
ravill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Granite Bay, Ca
Posts: 5,671
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

That sounds like you got a bad deal.

Can you make your other wheel work? It looks like you could drill some holes that line up with the hub?

I am unfamiliar with robart brakes so I’m unsure if that is even a viable solution.

I would just buy a new brake package from dreamworks.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:55 PM
  #3  
medjets
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando-FL
Posts: 122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ravill View Post
That sounds like you got a bad deal.

Can you make your other wheel work? It looks like you could drill some holes that line up with the hub?

I am unfamiliar with robart brakes so Iím unsure if that is even a viable solution.

I would just buy a new brake package from dreamworks.

Good luck!

Yes! Bad deal!

I tried to let the screw head out and maybe put a spacer to tighten it, but the wheel hub is tapered inwards so the screw head doesnít reach the brake disc holes. The correct wheel hub is deep and flat. I have attached a photo for you to see. Maybe I will have to ask a friend to make the hubs at his machine shop, as I refuse to buy 1 screw at this company.

Thanks for help!


Old 03-01-2021, 04:20 PM
  #4  
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)
 
Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona / Colorado
Posts: 4,929
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I have used the Robart 5.5" and 6" many times they are very durable and the brake system works great. Robart messed up and sent you the non brake hubs. I know you are mad at them but $50ea and you can buy new brake hubs and you would have a nice set of wheels and brakes.
The following users liked this post:
Auburn02 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:19 AM
  #5  
Boomerang1
 
Boomerang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,909
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I have used the Robart 5.5" and 6" many times they are very durable and the brake system works great. Robart messed up and sent you the non brake hubs. I know you are mad at them but $50ea and you can buy new brake hubs and you would have a nice set of wheels and brakes.
Why should Fabio pay a penny? Robart stuffed up, Robart should make things right again, so what if it's a sale from a couple of years ago.

Whatever happened to 'good will' towards customers.

Step up Mike Vassar, start acting like the VP of marketing instead of the scrooge. You think your reputation and that of your company is worth more than a pair of lousy wheels?

AND apologise for your company's mistake when you send Fabio his correct wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boomerang1:
medjets (03-02-2021), mgp1970 (04-10-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 03:02 AM
  #6  
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)
 
Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona / Colorado
Posts: 4,929
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
Why should Fabio pay a penny? Robart stuffed up, Robart should make things right again, so what if it's a sale from a couple of years ago.

Whatever happened to 'good will' towards customers.

Step up Mike Vassar, start acting like the VP of marketing instead of the scrooge. You think your reputation and that of your company is worth more than a pair of lousy wheels?

AND apologise for your company's mistake when you send Fabio his correct wheels.
I forgot to mention there is a 25% coupon in play so $75 for the pair of hubs.
The following users liked this post:
Auburn02 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 03:05 PM
  #7  
medjets
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando-FL
Posts: 122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
Why should Fabio pay a penny? Robart stuffed up, Robart should make things right again, so what if it's a sale from a couple of years ago.

Whatever happened to 'good will' towards customers.

Step up Mike Vassar, start acting like the VP of marketing instead of the scrooge. You think your reputation and that of your company is worth more than a pair of lousy wheels?

AND apologise for your company's mistake when you send Fabio his correct wheels.

This is the attitude of the person who is at the forefront of Robart's business. Deplorable that he likes answers that go in favor of his mistake.
I asked him to send only the correct hubs to Orlando and he didn't even respond. Maybe he feels good about this situation.
I do not accept a discount to buy new wheels to fix Robart's fault.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:01 AM
  #8  
medjets
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando-FL
Posts: 122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Well, as Robart's irresponsible VP Sales did not assume the error, I had to pay someone to make the wheel hubs, so that I could finish assembling my DV8R to make the first flight. Here are some pictures of the work done today.

Mike, I will never forget that attitude of yours. I hope that one day you will be out of this business.



Old 04-08-2021, 11:43 AM
  #9  
obiwan12
My Feedback: (9)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

medjets So you are upset with a family owned business that is filling an essential need to our hobby because you neglected to ensure the items you ordered would work as expected after 3 years? I agree with you that you should be upset that you received the wrong wheel hub for the brake. I also agree with Robart that it is beyond their responsibility to exchange the part for a correct wheel hub because you waited so long to notify them. I'm sure the issue would have been resolved appropriately if the incorrect part was discovered immediately upon your receipt of the part.

I have a few jet projects that are 5+ years in the making. Some companies for the parts I've secured no longer exist, some have ceased providing excellent customer service in English. If something were wrong with them, I would have to accept the fact that it was my personal responsibility for not ensuring they worked as intended when I originally received them. If everyone demanded free replacement or exchange parts after x number of years from the original purchase, how would we expect these businesses to remain in business?

Regardless, you now have an exquisitely machined new wheel hub. That is currently more skill, technique and patience to mill/fabricate metal than I have time for. We are fortunate there are still skilled individuals like you have found to help us realize our projects to completion. I look forward to seeing your flight review of the DV8R.

All the best.
CAVU
The following 2 users liked this post by obiwan12:
Auburn02 (04-10-2021), medjets (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:37 PM
  #10  
ira d
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Maricopa County AZ
Posts: 3,214
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by obiwan12 View Post
medjets So you are upset with a family owned business that is filling an essential need to our hobby because you neglected to ensure the items you ordered would work as expected after 3 years? I agree with you that you should be upset that you received the wrong wheel hub for the brake. I also agree with Robart that it is beyond their responsibility to exchange the part for a correct wheel hub because you waited so long to notify them. I'm sure the issue would have been resolved appropriately if the incorrect part was discovered immediately upon your receipt of the part.

I have a few jet projects that are 5+ years in the making. Some companies for the parts I've secured no longer exist, some have ceased providing excellent customer service in English. If something were wrong with them, I would have to accept the fact that it was my personal responsibility for not ensuring they worked as intended when I originally received them. If everyone demanded free replacement or exchange parts after x number of years from the original purchase, how would we expect these businesses to remain in business?

Regardless, you now have an exquisitely machined new wheel hub. That is currently more skill, technique and patience to mill/fabricate metal than I have time for. We are fortunate there are still skilled individuals like you have found to help us realize our projects to completion. I look forward to seeing your flight review of the DV8R.

All the best.
CAVU
How much can it cost Robart to correct their mistake and send out the correct wheels? Seems to me the goodwill generated towards Robart would be worth way more than the cost of sending out a new set of
wheels and also the fact that the order is three years old should not even come into play in a case like this.
The following users liked this post:
medjets (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 04:34 PM
  #11  
medjets
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando-FL
Posts: 122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by obiwan12 View Post
medjets So you are upset with a family owned business that is filling an essential need to our hobby because you neglected to ensure the items you ordered would work as expected after 3 years? I agree with you that you should be upset that you received the wrong wheel hub for the brake. I also agree with Robart that it is beyond their responsibility to exchange the part for a correct wheel hub because you waited so long to notify them. I'm sure the issue would have been resolved appropriately if the incorrect part was discovered immediately upon your receipt of the part.

I have a few jet projects that are 5+ years in the making. Some companies for the parts I've secured no longer exist, some have ceased providing excellent customer service in English. If something were wrong with them, I would have to accept the fact that it was my personal responsibility for not ensuring they worked as intended when I originally received them. If everyone demanded free replacement or exchange parts after x number of years from the original purchase, how would we expect these businesses to remain in business?

Regardless, you now have an exquisitely machined new wheel hub. That is currently more skill, technique and patience to mill/fabricate metal than I have time for. We are fortunate there are still skilled individuals like you have found to help us realize our projects to completion. I look forward to seeing your flight review of the DV8R.

All the best.
CAVU

thank you for your words. I understand and respect your point of view. But I was disappointed with Robart since the order, as they were the suppliers of the landing gear for the DV8R and I would have no other to choose from. The landing gear kit was still on the Robart website, even though PCM stopped producing its models.
In the landing gear order, it took weeks to respond, as it took days to respond. But that's okay ... as you said, it's a family business. But I was given the 6-8 week deadline and it was only sent after 20 weeks with a lot of e-mails and apologies. I had already deactivated the plane. When the landing gear arrived, I simply threw it into the plane's box and went on with other projects. It is clear from the posted order that he made a mistake when placing a wheel hub not prepared for the brake. If I complained just now, it is because at least I expected him to ask me for the wrong cube back and send the correct one. He just gave me a ****. Since he didn't even bother to answer me like a man via e-mail, I decided to post the story to serve as a warning. Life goes on.
Thanks to the support of some people who understood my frustration.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:13 PM
  #12  
Boomerang1
 
Boomerang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,909
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by obiwan12 View Post
medjets So you are upset with a family owned business that is filling an essential need to our hobby
Even more disappointing that a family owned business, as opposed to some big corporation owned by shareholders with the executives out of touch
with the consumer, could not simply resolve the situation.

'Some companies for the parts I've secured no longer exist, some have ceased providing excellent customer service in English. If something were wrong with them, I would have to accept the fact that it was my personal responsibility for not ensuring they worked as intended when I originally received them.'

Bad example. Robart ARE still in business, still selling good product at reasonable prices. For how long, if this is an example of their attitude, is anyone's guess.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:18 PM
  #13  
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)
 
Zeeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St George, Utah UT
Posts: 5,355
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post

Bad example. Robart ARE still in business, still selling good product at reasonable prices. For how long, if this is an example of their attitude, is anyone's guess.
Just another example of why I no longer use Robart stuff for ANYTHING.

You got two options here; bend over for the Robart suggested solution and leave yourself open to further issues, I'll guarantee you'll have more issues.

OR, you could just call Electron USA and let Greg help you figure out the best solution for your particular model. I know it'll be more money than you'd like to spend, but IMHO, spending more money with Robart is a losing proposition
The following users liked this post:
medjets (04-09-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:56 PM
  #14  
mgp1970
 
mgp1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Mid North Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 26
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Ok, it has been a while since the OP ordered the gear.
HOWEVER I do not think that in this case he would not be justified for ROBART to do the right thing considering the FACT that he has all the documentation that SHOWS the wrong item was sent after he ordered something else. To me it just stinks of poor customer service. Not a good look for a so called excellent and widely used company with rc models. And I certainly like the ELECTRON gear which IMO is much better!
The following users liked this post:
medjets (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:17 AM
  #15  
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)
 
sysiek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago , IL
Posts: 2,145
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Robart just added some nails to their own coffin, I have similar problems with them ordered scale wheels with Cnc design and I received totally smooth ones? Lucky me I live close by so I got what I pay for after visiting the shop
The following users liked this post:
medjets (04-11-2021)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.