Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best jet simulator to buy.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best jet simulator to buy.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:36 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Best jet simulator to buy.

Hi everyone,

During the past year and having to stay at home during our COVID-19 lockdowns and various other restrictions, I have started thinking that I should buy a new RC simulator. I have one, but it is ancient and I just think it will be nice to have a modern one to spend time on. I have seen that one can now buy a simulator and use your own transmitter. I have a Futaba and recently also bought a PowerBox CORE transmitter - so if I can use these it will be great.

I fly jets, prop planes and helicopters - so please suggest what you believe will suit me best.

JanR
Old 03-05-2021, 04:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

RF 9.5
Use the interlink, don't put all that sim time on your new Core IMO
Old 03-05-2021, 05:01 AM
Len Todd

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Realflight and get the interlink version. Fly the L-39 on the Santa Clara Co. Field.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:17 AM
FenderBean

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

You have to tweak the settings with anyone you get they all tend to fly much different than the real thing.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:29 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
You have to tweak the settings with anyone you get they all tend to fly much different than the real thing.
That is what was worrying me - not much point in a simulator if they don't feel real.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
RF 9.5
Use the interlink, don't put all that sim time on your new Core IMO
Thanks for the advice regarding the CORE - never realised that.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:32 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by Len Todd View Post
Realflight and get the interlink version. Fly the L-39 on the Santa Clara Co. Field.
What is special about that specific combination of jet and venue?
Old 03-05-2021, 01:37 PM
Springbok Flyer

Does the Real Flight 9.5 simulator with the Interlink Controller work on all transmitters or only on Spectrum? Will it link to a Windows computer/Laptop and/or to a Smart TV?
Old 03-05-2021, 02:22 PM
jcterrettaz

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Aeroffy 7 pro with Icarus Converter
work perfect with Apple I Mac and super graphic and lots of nice jets ..feel almost real
The following users liked this post:
Canadian Man (03-07-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 11:27 PM
Springbok Flyer

Thanks for all the comments. I have had a look on YouTube at the various RF9.5 videos and it appears that virtually all the aircraft on RF are small electric models. So are there not any RC simulators that have larger nitro, gas or kero powered models?

JanR
Old 03-06-2021, 01:22 AM
Halcyon66

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

https://rcflightsim.com/

Use the scale function

Regards,
Old 03-06-2021, 05:23 AM
Len Todd

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are several giant models on Realflight. The interlink is a controller that precludes the need for using your real RC transmitter. You do not want to put the simulator wear on your field transmitter. The interlink looks, operates and feels like a real RC Transmitter. The Realflight L-39 looks and flies just like my BVM L-39. The Realflight F-86 also flies fairly similar to an F-86 (i.e. the swept wing actually affects the lower speed flying responses on Realflight, etc.) I learned how to successfully and consistently land my Ultra Flash using the sim. Realflight's Santa Clara Co. field is so realistic it looks very similar to my field. You can also add in wind speed and direction to create cross winds to practice realistic landings. The only tweaking I did to the Realflight L-39 was to map the flap and gear switches on the interlink to the same switches that I use on the DX and IX transmitters. That was easy. There is a graphical user interface to do that. I also added a bit more flap, which is very easy to do. If you want to customize the plane's design, there is a graphical user interface that makes it really easy. Over the years I have had several simulators, Realflight is the most realistic one out there for fixed wing and heli aircraft. I also fly the Realflight multi-rotors on the FPV fields to sharpen up my reaction times. We also use Realflight with our school program. The kids use it during the winter. In the spring, we take the kids out to the field. With their realflight experience we have them flying models in minutes and have them soloing in an hour or so. So, ... If you want a simulator for learning to fly a plane or heli, Realflight is the only one I would recommend, period!

Another thought. If you really want to learn Turbine jets, it is wise to first get some real EDF time. Also, there are many EDFs on Realflight to chose from. They also act fairly realistic on the Realflight sim. EDFs are also a lot cheaper to purchase repair and replace. Jets are different than piston powered planes. Jets have to be moving forward at an above-stall speed to have any control. I started out on electric prop planes and lost several. Used Realflight to figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I moved on to giant piston powered planes and still lost a couple, Then I moved to EDFs and still repaired several. Every plane and type of plane lands differently. Then I moved into turbine jets and have still lost one of those. A $5K crash is a lot harder to take. So my advice is to start cheap and work your way up. Turbine jets are different. Given the speed, costs and risks involved, one needs a lot of stick time before you tackle large jets, not to mention the turbine waiver. I have seen a lot of so called jet guys show up at our events and watch them crash, risk their fellow pilots and even crash very near a crowd of spectators. Start small and cheap and I don't mean start with a small turbine jet. They are in some ways actually harder to fly and land because of the increased wing loading.

If you really want to get into turbine jets. I recommend getting with with a couple Jet Guys and be their spotter for a season. There is a lot to learn before you even start building, let alone flying a turbine jet. Lastly, ... Some folks are just not cut out for turbine jets. It is better to figure that out before you make a $5K+ investment and hurt someone with it. Realflight will help you a bit. But that is only one tiny leap of the many toward being a successful turbine jet pilot.

Good luck with you new adventure.

Last edited by Len Todd; 03-06-2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Springbok Flyer

Len,

Thank you for your insights, I totally agree with you as I am a well experienced model pilot. I went solo in 1979, been flying heli's since 1983 and flew my first turbine jet in 1995.

My interest, as perhaps I was not clear enough at the start, is to have a realistic simulator experience which I can have at home during these COVID times. Purely to fly and enjoy and to keep up some stick time and exercise the ageing fingers.

Regards,

JanR
Old 03-06-2021, 05:35 PM
jackdiazccs

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Jan,
I haven't found any realistic simulator for jets.
For imac or 3D, the RF9 with the YAK 54 scaled to 150% is fun.
For helis, the ACCURC is the best I have tried.

Receive a big hug.

Jack
Old 03-06-2021, 10:31 PM
Springbok Flyer

Thanks Jack, must admit, I'm not very keen to play arcade games and when I look at some of the YouTube videos of some simulators they really don't do it for me. Anyway I am going to continue my search and maybe I'll comec across the right one.

JanR
Old 03-07-2021, 03:45 AM
erbroens

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer View Post
That is what was worrying me - not much point in a simulator if they don't feel real.
No simulator in the world feels like flying a turbine rc model, period. However they are a great tool for having a litttle distraction in this difficult times.

My favorite still is the phoenix rc simulator.. and most of the time I fly the F3A models for some reason, even having available jets in this simulator and in the real flight simulator too.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:19 PM
Springbok Flyer

Cool

Originally Posted by erbroens View Post
My favorite still is the phoenix rc simulator..
The ancient simulator I have is a Phoenix and I remember it being quite good when I was using it back-in-the-day. I have however realised that it is no longer sold and has been incorporated into the RealFlight simulator.

JanR