Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the back story of the Iron Eagle movie R/C jets?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone know the back story of the Iron Eagle movie R/C jets?

Old 03-05-2021, 11:48 AM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone know the back story of the Iron Eagle movie R/C jets?

The movie is an all time favorite of mine, so much so I have a restored XR350R at my hangar, which some data says is the bike from the movie (5 years deep into trying to authenticate it). Around the time of the movie's appearance on HBO I recall seeing a "making of" special that showed the ducted fan models being flown out in the desert. After much searching I have not even found that bit of video. Anyone have an idea on what became of the models used in the film or if they were based on kits at the time? The Byron Originals F-16 is the only candidate I can think of. There may have been an article in Model Airplane News or at least some pics unless I am not remembering that correctly, searching has found nothing.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:47 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Larry Wolfe / Jet Hangar Hobbies made the jets used in the movie. they were specifically made / blown up in the movie. F16 was small, think he used his Mirage / Kfir kit . I built one w Scale 36 " wing in 1985

Byron Expo 86
The following users liked this post:
jescardin (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 04:17 PM
GSR4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is correct. Larry Wolfe of Jet Hangar Hobbies made all the models for the movie. They were small DF airframes. Larry was doing quite a bit of movie/scale prototype work during that period. BTW its his birthday this month. Scott
subarubrat (03-10-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 04:40 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

think he did F4 for IE 2. used to be in contact w Larry in the 70's to 90's. had my JHH (Avonds) twin DF in his booth at Toledo 97 or 8

. Still flying, never an engine out. 70 plus flights
The following 2 users liked this post by egldriver:
jescardin (03-07-2021), subarubrat (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:18 PM
subarubrat

I sent them an email, the site looks a bit dated but hopefully they are still making kits. I will buy one just to trick it out "movie accurate" and display it.

That era was amazing and the planes in Iron Eagle were the absolute peak of the hobby. Unless your a career RC enthusiast that can spot the black windows or control horn there is little to no telling the models from the full scale planes and it absolutely holds up today. I was a teenager at the time and I was fortunate enough to have been allowed and supported to fly control line and RC starting about 1980. I built great kits like the Alpha 15, Sig Super Sport, Sig Cub, Cox Cessna, Cox PT19 but the big stuff like the Byron Originals Quadra powered belt drive mustang, and the Jet Hangar A4, they were something that you saw in Model Airplane news but were far beyond the reach of us kids. I guess that is one of the perks of adulthood, hitting ebay and buying all the stuff you missed out on.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:38 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Larry's jets were very true to scale. As with all kits of that era they required a lot of work to build and were small but looked great and flew well. I built several of his kits throughout the years.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:28 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The only kit I know for sure he isn't making right now is the A-7 Corsair, as the molds were either damaged or stolen during the whole ARF production period.

His website is www.jethangar.com

Old 03-18-2021, 01:32 PM
subarubrat

Unfortunately it seems the site is a zombie, the last update was about 5 years ago and there was no response to an email. I am sure one will pop up on ebay one day.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:11 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

they point to this site... https://thercgeek.com/... maybe you can get a response there...
p-40lover (03-21-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patf
they point to this site... https://thercgeek.com/... maybe you can get a response there...
The link to The RC Geek is a link to Larry's son Chris Wolf's website. Chris can contact his dad Larry. I believe they are still making the kits.
Ed