Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Upgrading servo connectors?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Upgrading servo connectors?

Old 03-17-2021, 03:14 PM
luge_racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrading servo connectors?

While I was out flying my T-one, before the second flight I did my normal ground check and noticed one of my elevators wasn't working (glad it didn't fail on the first flight) . After a little investigating it seemed like maybe the connector wasn't fully seated so I secured it with a connector lock. I did another preflight and everything seemed okay; but after taxiing out I did another quick check and the elevator had stopped working again.

I brought her in and did a more thorough check and it appears the connector itself is no longer reliable.

So I'm looking at upgrading connectors on both elevator servos, and maybe the rudder; but I'm wondering what, if any, upgraded connectors people are using in their jets to replace the stock servo connectors. I thought about Deans Micro-Plugs, but figure there might be something better. FWIW: I prefer to solder over crimp.

TIA
Old 03-17-2021, 03:42 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I suppose you could solder the one4one that Powerbox sells? Have you seen that one? Here is one side on my Mephisto I am building

Old 03-17-2021, 04:40 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Those little yellow connectors are Amass MR30 (available almost everywhere, ebay, amazon, etc) and perfect for removable horiz and vert stabs.
If you don't want to solder yourself then you could buy pre-wired versions from Powerbox as mentioned above. Digitech also sells them in pre-made leads.
https://powerbox-americas.com/collec...remium-one4one

https://www.digitech-aerosports.nl/p...-servo-lead-jr

Old 03-17-2021, 07:00 PM
luge_racer

Those little yellow connectors look great and they are a good price on Amazon. Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:49 AM
Gorm73

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please make sure you get the original that only connects "one way" and not the copy that can be reversed.
(I would have added pictures but it seems that I am not allowed)
The following users liked this post:
luge_racer (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 07:50 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2c: For servo leads, I will take crimping over soldering any day. reason is that when you solder, the end of the solder creates a stress point, where cables can break to fatigue. Crimping is way more flexible and durable. It is tedious, but the result is a much more durable joint (again, just my pov)
Old 03-18-2021, 08:13 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD View Post
My 2c: For servo leads, I will take crimping over soldering any day. reason is that when you solder, the end of the solder creates a stress point, where cables can break to fatigue. Crimping is way more flexible and durable. It is tedious, but the result is a much more durable joint (again, just my pov)
While I completely agree with you as a general statement, in the case of these connectors, if you use heat shrink and install the provided covers then any such issues should be able to be completely mitigated unless you apply way too much heat during soldering and wick solder up the leads to an excessive amount. Of course if there was a crimped alternative then I'd probably select those instead but there really isn't a reason that using these connectors should be any sort of problem.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:31 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

In full scale aviation they only use crimping, never solder! For exactly the reason JackD stated!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:42 PM
Basspilot

Do yourself a favor and get a good crimper some powerbox servo leads and never look back. I wire everyone of my jets servos and lighting systems with Powerbox Maxi wire and connectors.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:17 PM
olnico

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you guys like to crimp your connectors, it might be worth having a look at our Ultimate Servo Connectors, that come in 3, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 and 20 pin plugs.
These are gold plated, certified for 5000 cycles of connection/ disconnection. Sustains 15A continuous @ 8V and 20A burst.

Best of all, the price-for-pin ratio is very good.

https://www.ultimate-jets.net/produc...ervo-connector

Old 03-20-2021, 03:19 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 143 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico View Post
If you guys like to crimp your connectors, it might be worth having a look at our Ultimate Servo Connectors, that come in 3, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 and 20 pin plugs.
These are gold plated, certified for 5000 cycles of connection/ disconnection. Sustains 15A continuous @ 8V and 20A burst.

Best of all, the price-for-pin ratio is very good.

https://www.ultimate-jets.net/produc...ervo-connector

You can also get these connector from Digi-Key.....
Old 03-21-2021, 06:32 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
In full scale aviation they only use crimping, never solder! For exactly the reason JackD stated!

while I prefer to crimp all my connectors in my Rc planes full scale Bob has soldered stuff all over the place. Engine connectors light wiring behind the instrument panel all over. But most of it is crimped connectors.

for RC simply get power box stuff and be done.