Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

US Customs and Duty Fees

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

US Customs and Duty Fees

Old 06-02-2021, 02:08 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US Customs and Duty Fees

Hi All,

My new Skymaster Xtreme F4e ordered from Pacific RC Jets is nearly here. It has been a long wait. Anyway, received a bill from DHL last night for duty fees. I am curious if this is occurring with other folks as well? I live in California and this is the first time I have had to pay duty on a jet aircraft. Wondering if this is the new norm.

Looking forward to receiving my new jet,

Cheers!

Jeff
Old 06-02-2021, 02:19 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I had to pay duty fee on my Wizard from Belgium. It wasn't much.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:30 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Duty on anything you import would apply. In addition, some of previous administration tariffs are still in effect. I am sure customs would provide an itemized invoice. In some cases if product is shipped to the port through A/F and not door to door and courier services, you might get away with paying the duty if the agent is in good mood.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:43 PM
FenderBean

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Anything over 2500 is stopped and taxed now on import.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:30 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 80 Likes on 78 Posts

What tariff is charged in % ?
Old 06-02-2021, 06:58 PM
gbarnes

I received a Skymaster Viper a couple of weeks ago and was charged an additional $70 by DHL. Not sure if they called it duty fees or not. First time I have been charged additional fees by the carrier.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:36 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
Anything over 2500 is stopped and taxed now on import.
That would make sense. My aircraft shows $2695 on the forms.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:16 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Must be something new. I have NEVER had to pay duty on a model airplane.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:21 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo View Post
Must be something new. I have NEVER had to pay duty on a model airplane.
I'll second that....just absorbent shipping fees
Old 06-03-2021, 11:55 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by F16Jeff View Post
That would make sense. My aircraft shows $2695 on the forms.
Summer of 2019 is when this started, it was something Trump signed in, just sucks it hurts small business because its one more thing I have to pay on every shipment. You are paying two fees, the tax and the broker fee and it depends on the over all value of the shipment.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:53 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

You guys are getting taken at customs or with DHL. I can't find anything that poses tariff's on RC Jets, turbines, RC aircraft or anything related to our hobby.

You can search below or look under "view" that shows the % of each product that has a tariff on it coming from China.

https://hts.usitc.gov/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OUwi2D0chym_ZG
Old 06-03-2021, 03:18 PM
powerjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are lucky, getting a jet into Canada will always cost us brokerage and taxes, toy or not, used or not.
13% of the value plus brokerage
A 1500 usd jet cost us 380.- cad extra to get over the border.

Last edited by powerjets; 06-03-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:37 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It's been awhile since I had a model sent in from Germany, but at that time, model airplanes and their equipment were exempt from any import duties into the USA.

The freight companies are the WORST at assessing fees which are not due. FedEx and UPS are especially "criminally" responsible for outlandish import/export fees which are usually company fees, not Government imposed import fees/duties.

I'd do some serious investigation. While I guess it's possible Trump imposed something, I just find it hard to believe that would happen to "toys" coming into the USA.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:46 PM
FenderBean

its taxed based on value, it doesnt matter what they classify the shipment as. I classify mine under the "toy" as well and its automatically held buy customs when the shipment is $2500 or more, not the the actual shipping agency. They just bring in the broker to get the paper work done and tag their fee on, doesnt matter which carrier you use the tax is coming from the customs part.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:32 PM
powerjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
It's been awhile since I had a model sent in from Germany, but at that time, model airplanes and their equipment were exempt from any import duties into the USA.

The freight companies are the WORST at assessing fees which are not due. FedEx and UPS are especially "criminally" responsible for outlandish import/export fees which are usually company fees, not Government imposed import fees/duties.

I'd do some serious investigation. While I guess it's possible Trump imposed something, I just find it hard to believe that would happen to "toys" coming into the USA.
the 13% is government imposed taxes for canadians, that's the lions share, not the fedex or ups part.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:48 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by powerjets View Post
the 13% is government imposed taxes for canadians, that's the lions share, not the fedex or ups part.
I wasn't talking about Canada, you guys have the WORST Customs crowd of any country I've ever dealt with. I used to sell some things off eBay and it got to the point that I just refused to try sending things to Canada anymore.

What I was talking about is stuff coming into the USA. Keith will have had more recent experience than me so his assessment is more likely accurate than mine.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:00 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I wasn't talking about Canada, you guys have the WORST Customs crowd of any country I've ever dealt with. I used to sell some things off eBay and it got to the point that I just refused to try sending things to Canada anymore.

What I was talking about is stuff coming into the USA. Keith will have had more recent experience than me so his assessment is more likely accurate than mine.
Its like I mentioned when importing, but yes when I ship motors to Canada they get taxed by their government not the shipping agency. They really get hit hard worse than me, when I first started this wasnt an issue but like I said in the summer of 2019 Trumps import tax started, but due to the tax it now also requires a broker to be involved and their fee is normally more than the tax.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:12 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A few months back I got a TV pipe and some Electron Retracts from Germany, and I got hit with tax and it was $1,800 total on the shipment. It cost me an extra $66.00
Old 06-04-2021, 11:46 AM
fmrsdtr

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

We're charged duty fees every other week with shipments from Spain for Electron. DHL is not allowed to leave it if those fees aren't paid.