Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat smoke pump user manual

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat smoke pump user manual

Old 07-24-2021, 04:35 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default JetCat smoke pump user manual

Have an older JetCat smoke pump that has not been used for awhile. Got the model out today after some rebuild stuff including changing out the JetCat Turbine for a KingTech G2 with the newer ECU.

We can plug the thing into it's own power supply and hooked into the throttle setting port on the pump and it turns on, but cannot get it to run in the model hooked up to the ECU.

Anybody got any ideas or a user manual would be great, have not been able to find one of those that was in English rather than German and my German isn't good enough for a technical support manual.... lol

Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2021, 08:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 330 Likes on 254 Posts

JetCat bus pump won’t work from a KT ECU

There must be some software that will translate the German PDF…
Old 07-24-2021, 12:52 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
JetCat bus pump won’t work from a KT ECU

There must be some software that will translate the German PDF…
Are you saying that the JetCat pump will not work with the KingTech ECU? What about a PB pump?

I've looked for a way to translate the manual, a number of options exist for plain text but a .pdf which is what the manual is done with, is another story.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 330 Likes on 254 Posts

If you are activating the pump from the ECU-no it will only work with JetCat. Using a radio channel to activate and control flow you can use JetCat or PB pumps with any turbine, because it’s not controlled by the ECU.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:21 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
If you are activating the pump from the ECU-no it will only work with JetCat. Using a radio channel to activate and control flow you can use JetCat or PB pumps with any turbine, because its not controlled by the ECU.
Thanks Dave, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:25 PM
Zeeb

Double post......
Old 07-25-2021, 12:59 PM
Zeeb

Well it didn't work. The ECU and the smoke pump share a common battery. When you first try getting it to run, you feel kind of a "click" if you will and nothing happens. We can put the pump on it's own battery with the servo lead plugged into the middle connector on the pump and it runs.. However, the ECU quits when the pump is unplugged. We started the engine and made the switch to the power supply flipped the switch and got tons of smoke. It shut down okay with the throttle trim but the next thing we notice is that there no "cooling" showing on the GSU and the starter motor is not cycling for cooling. No temp readouts or anything from the ECU.

We tried to start the engine that way and the ECU was having none of it. Disconnected the separate battery, hooked it back up the the shared battery and the ECU came back to life.

At this point, I'm totally confused. There are only two wires for power going into the pump, no other connection from the ECU to the pump, so how does the ECU figure out that the pump is disconnected and it quits working?

Any ideas would be most appreciated or any of you other members who might have an idea.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:34 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming I got the right part of the right manual, here's a translation. Looks like the pump has to have the Rx mode activated.

In Rx mode, the pump is controlled via a free receiver channel. A switch /
Slide or rotary potentiometer on the transmitter side can be used for the pump control. If e.g.
If a 3-position switch is used, two different delivery rates can be set and
then select
Position 1 = off, position 2 = small delivery rate, position 3 = large delivery rate.
When using a slide or rotary potentiometer, the
Delivery rate possible.
ATTENTION: In this mode it is possible to start the pump even when the engine is at a standstill!

Activate Rx mode:
- Free receiver output with the control input (middle connector) on the pump with the
Connect the enclosed cable (plug / plug) (the brown cable must match the green
Show the connection socket of the power supply)
- Connect the power supply (e.g. 7.2V battery) to the pump.
- Press and hold the "+" button on the pump.
- Now switch on the receiver (keep the "+" button pressed) beep.
- Now release the button.
- Set the switch / slide or rotary potentiometer on the transmitter to 'minimum' (= pump OFF).
- Briefly press one of the two buttons beep the "OFF" position is saved.
- Now set the switch / slide or rotary potentiometer on the transmitter to 'maximum'.
- Briefly press one of the two buttons beep maximum position is saved.
- This activates the Rx mode and the transmitter positions for "Pump Off" and "Pump."
at maximum power ”.
- Set the switch / slide or rotary potentiometer on the transmitter to 'minimum' again
Adjust delivery rate / pump output:
After successful activation, the delivery rate / pump rate can now be adjusted:
- Switch on the receiver, do not press any button !!!.
- Set the switch / slide or rotary potentiometer on the transmitter side to the minimum position at which the
Pump is just starting.
- When the pump is running, press both buttons on the pump simultaneously and briefly.
- The delivery rate / pump output can now be increased with the "+" key
- The delivery rate / pump output can now be reduced with the "-" key
- Set the switch / slide or rotary potentiometer on the transmitter side to the maximum position at which the
Pump should run at full power.
- The delivery rate / pump output can be increased with the "+" key
- The delivery rate / pump output can be reduced with the "-" key
Old 07-26-2021, 04:36 AM
Zeeb

Thank you for the translation! We'll give it a try, see if we can figure it all out.