Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aerojet sparrow g2

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aerojet sparrow g2

Old 07-29-2021, 01:36 PM
N4S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aerojet sparrow g2

My Rebel 2m build is not making good progress, I've been spending most of my free time flying or repairing my foam jets.

I've been looking at AEROJET SPARROW G2 PNP. I searched the forum and couldn't find any info on it, does anyone have any experience with this jet? Any feedback/input would be appreciated!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:20 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by N4S View Post
My Rebel 2m build is not making good progress, I've been spending most of my free time flying or repairing my foam jets.

I've been looking at AEROJET SPARROW G2 PNP. I searched the forum and couldn't find any info on it, does anyone have any experience with this jet? Any feedback/input would be appreciated!
the couple I have seen are pretty good. Never flown one myself though
Old 07-30-2021, 03:12 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by N4S View Post

I flew the G1 version that Barry Hou Designed. It flew great but did not fly good on knife edge. It can be done but because of the wing sweep and tail it has allot of roll coupling on knife edge.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:44 AM
N4S

Thanks for your replies! I ordered it in Yamaha scheme.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:07 PM
N4S

So I got the Sparrow a while back and thought I share my experience since there aren’t much info on this jet. Also, I finally did get my Rebel ready, so I will make references to Rebel since in terms of size they are close. Rebel’s Wing span 78” & length 87”, Sparrow’s wing span 76.8” length 82.7”. One is PNP and the other is ARF. I maybe comparing apples to oranges but again due to lack of feedback on Sparrow, I thought it may help those who are looking at buying one.

I got the Yamaha scheme which is very pretty and easy to see in terms of orientation. The paint is very nice!

Assembly was not too bad with the exception of the flaps. The installed servos were making a loud buzzing noise and got hot after a minute of powering the jet in the up position. I spent few days trying to figure out how to fix them. In the left wing, the servo was misaligned, I ended up drilling 2 new holes to line it up. In the right wing, I put a shim in one side. Even with the adjustment, they are still loud but don’t get as hot. You can hear the loud buzz in all 3 positions. All other servos have a slight buzzing similar to some of the HSD jets.

The flex plates used in Sparrow’s main landing gears seemed like a good idea at first, however, on maiden, after applying brake, the jet did a 360 and broke the left main flex plate. Several flights later, I run off the paved runway into the grass, and one of the flex plates broke again. I have gone off the runway into grass with Rebel and no damage to the gear or mount.

I am not crazy about the included electronics and ended up replacing the break module.

I use K-142 in both jets and there is a considerable difference in top speed and verticals, Rebel is much faster. Sparrow is heavier at about 31 LB compared to Rebel at 22 LB even though Rebel is a bigger jet by few inches. Having said that, Sparrow flies well and lands easy.

In fairness to Sparrow, it is less expensive than Rebel and build time is faster, however, if I were to go back, I probably wouldn’t buy it.

As a side not, I used ACCUTORQ 300SG servos in Rebel and I really like them, very quiet, strong and smooth.

Last edited by N4S; 11-09-2021 at 09:02 AM.