Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti Twin Engine Telemetry Question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti Twin Engine Telemetry Question

Old 10-01-2021, 02:55 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Jeti Twin Engine Telemetry Question

I'm setting up my latest model which is a twin (2x Merlin 100) and trying a different radio configuration than last time.

Previously I used a CB400 and connected 2 Xicoy ECU Telemetry adaptors to 2 of the sensor inputs on the CB400. I could then receive ECU telemetry from both ECU/ motors. Radio is a DS-24.

This time, rather than use a CB400, I am using a CB210, in the configuration shown below with a REX7 and a R3/RSW in dual path. I plan to add a R3/700 backup Rx at a later time, hence the single Rx input to the Cortex Pro gyro.

The problem I'm having is that I can only receive one set of ECU data. Only one set of senors show up, even after multiple sensor refreshes and leaving it switched on for 20 minutes or more. If only 1 TM Adaptor is connected to the Expander at a time, then that is the data I can see, proving that each is working, but when the second one is connected, it is not detected.

I have tried a 2-channel and a 4-channel expander with the same result. Also, connecting the expander directly to the CB210 (rather than the REX 7) makes no difference.

Can anyone suggest a way to get both sets of ECU data?

Thanks

Paul
Old 10-01-2021, 03:04 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

The problem I've had with my one twin set up is that there maybe too much telemetry going to the radio and it overwhelms how much telemetry can get to the radio.

This problem caused only 1 engine's telemetry to make it through to be visible on my radio.

The biggest offender of hogging the telemetry bus was the MGps from Jeti. I was told that it sent a bunch of stuff which was over prioritized over telemetry. When I unplugged it, I was able to see the other engine. But then, Iost GPS data. I decided I wanted engine > gps telemetry.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:05 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I've got another twin incoming, so I may be up to this problem again and see if I can find a solution.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:21 PM
JSF-TC

Rav,

That was my initial thought also, so I disconnected the GPS, leaving only the CB210 and the 2 ECU sensors. I have a total of 16 sensors being detected between the CB210 and one ECU.

I think the limit is 40 sensors, so that should not be the issue.

I still don't know why it worked with the CB400, but not with the CB210. The ECU adaptors were of an earlier version on my previous model also, not the new X version.

I'm guessing that somewhere the 2 ECU adaptors cannot be distinguished, based on some unique ID.

Paul
Old 10-01-2021, 10:12 PM
LA jetguy

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Paul… the problem is that both of the telemetry sensors have the same ID…. The sensors need to have a unique ID for each to report independently..

David
Old 10-02-2021, 05:12 AM
JSF-TC

David,

Thank you, and yes, using a LUA script I confirmed that both adaptors are reporting the same Sensor ID (-23534).

I will contact Gaspar to see what can be done to get them reprogrammed to separate, unique Sensor ID's.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 10-02-2021, 07:29 AM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by JSF-TC View Post
David,

Thank you, and yes, using a LUA script I confirmed that both adaptors are reporting the same Sensor ID (-23534).

I will contact Gaspar to see what can be done to get them reprogrammed to separate, unique Sensor ID's.

Thanks again,

Paul
Great 👍
Old 10-04-2021, 11:05 AM
LA jetguy

Paul... contact me at 310-877-5522... I can help you with the telemetry issue
Old 10-04-2021, 01:23 PM
FenderBean

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Paul did Gaspar ever respond? He posted today about their site and email being down. he posted an alternative email on the xicoyturbine FB page
Old 10-11-2021, 06:17 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill View Post
The problem I've had with my one twin set up is that there maybe too much telemetry going to the radio and it overwhelms how much telemetry can get to the radio.

This problem caused only 1 engine's telemetry to make it through to be visible on my radio.

The biggest offender of hogging the telemetry bus was the MGps from Jeti. I was told that it sent a bunch of stuff which was over prioritized over telemetry. When I unplugged it, I was able to see the other engine. But then, Iost GPS data. I decided I wanted engine > gps telemetry.
that is one of the reasons we slowed the data down on the CTU no need to refresh it every 10th of a second.
thats why the CTU works flawless with multi engines and other telemetric.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:52 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Off topic but twin turbine and Jeti related…

how Do you guys start your turbines? Ibhave mine setted with a Y that way I can trim up botj of them at the same time, but sometimes if one of them fail to start I have to shut down tje otjer one, wait for itl to cool down and then try again…
is there a better way ?
Old 10-11-2021, 12:02 PM
JSF-TC

Skymaster.

I have my Jeti (DS-24) set up with a 3-position switch top left front (SA I think), in addition to a normal (locking) kill switch.

With the switch in the center, both engines are commanded together, but with the switch not in the center, one engine is held at idle.

You have to assign separate functions to throttle and Engine-L and Engine-R plus a number of mixes to get it to work as intended, but I can start and run each engine independently or together. The only thing I cant do is kill just one engine from the Tx while the other remains running. You can practice single engine ops as once running, moving the switch off-center forces one engine to idle.

However, if starting separately, it is easy to forget to move the switch to the center to have both engines respond, and I've tried to take off on only one engine. I have set an alarm if the rpm differs by a certain amount with a throttle shaker and voice alert to catch such an issue.

Paul
Old 10-11-2021, 09:50 PM
LA jetguy

Harry did a nice video for twin setup…. Check here.