Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Damping grease for oleos

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Damping grease for oleos

Old 10-19-2021, 11:01 AM
dave.windymiller

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damping grease for oleos

I had to strip down some oleos for repairs which meant cleaning up the grease that was used around the oleo leg and spring. Without the grease, which was a translucent reddish colour and very sticky, the damping effect has gone.

Can anyone recommend a suitable grease please? I tried motorcycle chain lube which is also sticky but it doesn't perform as well as it used to.

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-19-2021, 12:13 PM
Len Todd

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a very good question! When I did the spring changes on my L-39, I was told to use the green marine grease. I used that, but I too noticed that there was little dampening, when compared to what the OEMs use, especially on the rebound!

Lets see what other folks are using.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:57 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not used specifically on model airplane Oleo struts, but Dow Corning DC-4 compound gets used a LOT on full scale landing gear assemblies for the O-rings and such. I've also used it a lot on screw on oil filters of full scale piston aircraft. Not sure exactly where you buy it as I'm still using stuff left over from 12yrs ago when I quit working on full scale A/C.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:20 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

RC car shock oil works well
Old 10-19-2021, 05:31 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I was recommended to try Nyogel 767A as a dampening grease on my gear.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubricant-Grease-Nyogel-50g-Tube/dp/B00W6KWK1 https://www.amazon.com/Lubricant-Grease-Nyogel-50g-Tube/dp/B00W6KWK1

I have a tube, but not tried it yet, so no personal advice.

Paul

Old 10-19-2021, 06:03 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

dow corning DC-111 is another to try
Old 10-19-2021, 07:22 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

The purpose, features and uses of red rubber grease.

Click image for larger version

Name:	red-rubber-grease-spoonful.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	2270990

Why do we need Red Rubber Grease?

Rubber without lubrication dries out, hardens, crackles and breaks. If affected by gasoline or if lubricated with petroleum-based grease, it swells, loses its shape and does not do the work as intended. When in contact with moving parts, it wears out from friction (an o-ring against a brake caliper or cylinder piston, a dust boot against a clutch plunger) and also may rupture. And, finally, during assembly, it is hard to push a piece of dry rubber into a casing and even more so to slide one rubber part onto another.

To help in all of the above situations red grease was designed, Castrol RRG being one of the best known brands. Being a vegetable oil based lubricant this grease does not harm rubber and can be used for its protection, lubrication and preservation. It can also be a great help during assembly of units containing parts made of natural or synthetic rubber and even plastic (installing bushings, for example).

Because of a unique combination of two of its qualities: natural rubber compatibility and brake fluid compatibility the main use of Red Rubber Grease is in hydraulic brake/clutch applications.

What is the main purpose of RRG?

Preserving natural rubber parts, lubricating rubber to rubber or rubber to metal contacts, helping in assembly of units containing rubber parts.

Red rubber grease uses.

Because of the qualities mentioned above Red Rubber Grease it is ideal for use in hydraulic systems, namely, hydraulic brakes and clutches or shock absorbers, pneumatic systems containing rubber parts (o-ring, seals). For this reason a sachet of the red grease comes as a standard part of quality brake/clutch and motorcycle fork oil seal and dust seal repair kits.

In contrast to regular automotive lubricants that are petroleum-based, red rubber grease is vegetable oil based (red dye is added for identification purposes) - this is the reason why it's "rubber friendly". Being that, RRG can be used where ever natural rubber is used in the car (see some applications mentioned on this site.)

Here is a comprehensive list of RRG properties:

• Fully compatible with natural and synthetic rubbers
  • Compatible with brake fluids and some hydraulic oils.
  • Rust inhibitor (protects from oxidation and rust).
  • RRG is water resistant.
  • Hight temperarure. The grease can be used in applications with temperatures up to 210-230F. It will not melt and will not contaminate brake pads.
  • Petrol resistant. Although it will get contaminated in contact with gasoline, but still it will protect rubber parts from it.
  • High chemical and structural(mechanical) stability.
  • High resistance against water washing (will stay on after a rain, or car wash).
  • Has high wear protecting quality.
In other words, RRG can be used for lubrication where there is rubber and there is no gasoline: o-rings, non-petroleum oil and dust seals, dust boots, bushings.

Read the technical specs and MSDS of Castrol red rubber grease and also of RRG from such manufacturers as Millers Oils and Fuchs on our Tech info page.

Learn how to use rubber grease when rebulding brake calipers.

Learn how to use rubber grease when rebulding clutch master cylinder.
[email protected]
Old 10-20-2021, 05:07 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
RC car shock oil works well
We are talking about a grease not oil.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:20 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

BVM sells red and clear for $5 each, I just ordered both.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:33 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by camss69 View Post
BVM sells red and clear for $5 each, I just ordered both.
Not so sure these two product are what we are looking for. It was Rob (BVM) who told me to use the green marine grease!

But, maybe time will tell, ... if you get the stuff you ordered and let us know.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:58 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd View Post
Not so sure these two product are what we are looking for. It was Rob (BVM) who told me to use the green marine grease!

But, maybe time will tell, ... if you get the stuff you ordered and let us know.
I have it, itís what they use in the PNP jets, I just donít have anything to try it on.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:26 AM
stealdesk
My Feedback: (4)

I was asking this question a few weeks ago and was told to use Traxxas diff oil 100k to 500k depending how much rebound you want.

Traxxas diff oil Traxxas diff oil
The following users liked this post:
Bob_B (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by camss69 View Post
I have it, itís what they use in the PNP jets, I just donít have anything to try it on.
I ordered some BVM grease.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:28 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

That shock absorber oil is to refresh the O rings in the retracts and any O ring that you may be using in your airplane, like in the air retract valve, I use #25

Last edited by CARS II; 10-21-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:10 PM
dave.windymiller

I tried the red rubber grease as it was something i could buy cheaply (Castrol red rubber).

No Good, not sticky enough. The original grease if rubbed between 2 fingers would form thin strands as you separate your fingers like contact adhesive does. The red rubber grease i bought didnt.