Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Rebel MAX - Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Rebel MAX - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 05:06 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
I guess you don't have a garage ? will get messy and smell with the Jet fuel.
Yes sir, of course I do but the garage is actually split in half. The front half is my half and contains my band saw, scroll saw, sander, drill press, etc. and my motorcycles. The back half is the wife's as she does CrossFit. Due to COVID, we built her a home gym and THAT, my friend, is why I get to buy $12,000 Rebel Max's.

Last edited by smcharg; 02-01-2022 at 06:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Canadian Man (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:52 AM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by smcharg
That is the large stand from Pacific R/C Jets. I actually need to buy a second one for when I take apart this jet for the aft section of the fuse. Here's the link: https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...19083570774112

The small stand easily fits 2.2m jets. The large one holds bigger.
That foam block looked like a yoga block, looks like it straddles the rear part of the fuse fairly close.

The front block placed near the gear door might be loose from side to side and remember they should go under a bulkhead to prevent fiberglass damage.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:14 AM
smcharg

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
That foam block looked like a yoga block, looks like it straddles the rear part of the fuse fairly close.

The front block placed near the gear door might be loose from side to side and remember they should go under a bulkhead to prevent fiberglass damage.
The blocks slide on the tubes. You can position them however you need to.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:49 PM
Skunkwrks

I noticed in your photo that it's at rear seam where the fuse joins and the front block is only inches ahead of the wing.

It appears the length is three feet with at least a foot lost into the foam base.

a guy could buy longer dowels to increase the length of the foam cradles!

Old 02-02-2022, 06:31 AM
smcharg

I think we're overthinking this a bit. The tubes are 4 feet long and the foam pads are about 6" in width. For the Max (and as you can tell from the Xicoy meter), there is very little weight in the front of the airplane, especially with the wings removed. Also, the picture may be a little deceiving as I'm sure I pulled the plane forward once I got it on its gear. The majority of the weight is centered on the rear seam which is where the turbine is mounted. When the Max is in the cradle, the front pad almost reaches the nose gear bulkhead. Agreed, not quite but since there's almost no weight there, everything is okie dokie.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:41 AM
smcharg

The Max is completed. This jet was a pleasure to build and, thanks to some suggestions here, was very easy to complete. It took me a while but that was only due to my available time and not the complexity of the build.

I finished the battery tray this weekend which, aside from some final checks of avionics and a run-up of the turbine, was the last thing on the list. Next weekend, I'll run the turbine for the first time and, hopefully, install the gear jacks into my new trailer. I'll post those pictures once i get it mounted and I'll throw up the turbine run on my YouTube channel. Assuming weather is good, I'll get to maiden her the following weekend.

Since I needed all my weight as far forward as I could get it, I decided to build a little shelf in the nose cone out of that 1/8" ply/faux carbon plate that I had laying around (same stuff I used to mount the rear fuse AMP connector). I cut it to the angle of the nose cone, used a scroll saw to cut some slits for the velcro strap, glued it in with Hysol (top and bottom). Then, I added industrial strength velcro to the bottom of the shelf as well as in-between batteries and strapped it all in. While there's quite a bit of room in the nose cone, it's not the most convenient to get batteries in and out. The nice thing about this setup is that I can just take off the whole nose cone and charge up the batteries without having to remove each pack.

Next post will be all the pictures I promised of the wiring and layout. Thanks again for all the help from everyone. I hope that this thread will help someone if they get a chance to build this monster. I'm very excited to get out and finally fly this.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:54 AM
smcharg

Wiring pictures and miscellaneous

AMP Connector from Aero Panda

AMP Connector for wing. One for each wing. 10-Pin connectors so 3 pins for aileron servo, 3 pins for flap servo, 2 pins for +/- retracts, and 2 pins for +/- brakes

AMP connector on wing half internal

I had an old motherboard test stand that I didn't need anymore. I cut pieces of the legs off and glued them in with 30 minute epoxy and then went back and just put a dab of Hysol on them. There's about 1/8" tolerance between the blocks and the tank to make it a little easier to slide in and out.

Final part of the journey for the fuel prior to entering the turbine.

Digitech MagLock Fuel Vent (6mm)

Canadian Man (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 06:03 AM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awsome indtall Scott. Hope to see it at the F3S NATS this year

Glen
Old 02-07-2022, 06:17 AM
smcharg

Thanks Glen. We have it on our calendar but we'll see if work allows it. Miss ya man. I hope you and the wife are doing well.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:18 AM
Canadian Man

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Well done Scott! Looks great!
smcharg (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 09:48 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks great! Thanks for all the pics.

Are you concerned about all that weight in the nose? The nose isn't really supported much is it? I don't know because mine is built but won't be here for a while...
Old 02-07-2022, 09:59 AM
smcharg

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Looks great! Thanks for all the pics.

Are you concerned about all that weight in the nose? The nose isn't really supported much is it? I don't know because mine is built but won't be here for a while...
I've seen several other Max's do the same thing. The nose is actually pretty structurally sound IMHO. With 2 dowels in the sides and 2 4mm (if memory serves) bolts into T-Nuts (one top, one bottom) and fairly thick fiberglass in this area and at the flange, I think this will be good. Since I have a 235 and you're going with a 300, if you CG without fuel in the main tank for worst case, you're going to have to add a good amount of weight already but especially if you don't use the area of the nose.

I'm not sure where Jack put his batteries either. I guess I should have asked him but, all in all, with the platform hysol'd in and the structure, I'm positive it's a great location.
AEROSHELDON (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:31 AM
AEROSHELDON

Thanks Scott!

AFAIK Jack went right behind the cone with trays.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:15 AM
Skunkwrks

Great work Scott, nicely done.
smcharg (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 01:35 PM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Thanks Scott!

AFAIK Jack went right behind the cone with trays.
I have batteries in the nose cone also

smcharg (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 02:48 PM
AEROSHELDON

Originally Posted by Reever45
I have batteries in the nose cone also
You guys truly are "Rebels"
Old 02-11-2022, 02:59 PM
vespino67

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Rebel

it's done!!!
AEROSHELDON (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Skunkwrks

Nice and clean do you have a dry weight as is?
Old 02-14-2022, 05:11 AM
smcharg

Very nice! @Vespino67, please tell me a little about your "fill system". Since the Digitech comes with a 4mm fill line, did you just use a 4mm manual valve and if so, please tell me what you used to build the "stopper" on the end. It almost looks like you maybe used a small socket head bolt and then, did you take a piece of 4mm fuel line and stick over it to push into the festo fitting?
Old 02-14-2022, 05:17 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Very nice! @Vespino67, please tell me a little about your "fill system". Since the Digitech comes with a 4mm fill line, did you just use a 4mm manual valve and if so, please tell me what you used to build the "stopper" on the end. It almost looks like you maybe used a small socket head bolt and then, did you take a piece of 4mm fuel line and stick over it to push into the festo fitting?
These are just a Festo plug commercial available….. 🤷🏻‍♂️

i have a bunch on hand so when I build stuff…I can plug them so no dust or whatnot get into thing’s
Old 02-14-2022, 05:20 AM
smcharg

Originally Posted by Dansy
These are just a Festo plug commercial available….. 🤷🏻‍♂️

i have a bunch on hand so when I build stuff…I can plug them so no dust or whatnot get into thing’s
Dansy

I guess I've missed them in my searches. Can you provide a link to them please?
Old 02-14-2022, 05:21 AM
Dansy

Dansy

I guess I've missed them in my searches. Can you provide a link to them please?
Available in different sizes….

https://aeropanda.com/collections/fe...ng-plug-qsc-4h
smcharg (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 08:00 AM
smcharg

Here are the pictures of the jet fuse mounted in my trailer. I used Gear Jacks from Random Heli. They certainly aren't cheap but are well-worth the cost considering they are securing a 13K jet in a trailer than can get bounced down the road!

Also, I ran the turbine for the first time yesterday. WOW! I did take a video but it's poor quality so I have decided if it makes sense to post it to YouTube yet. If I do, I'll add it here as well.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:07 AM
Dansy

Here are the pictures of the jet fuse mounted in my trailer. I used Gear Jacks from Random Heli. They certainly aren't cheap but are well-worth the cost considering they are securing a 13K jet in a trailer than can get bounced down the road!

Also, I ran the turbine for the first time yesterday. WOW! I did take a video but it's poor quality so I have decided if it makes sense to post it to YouTube yet. If I do, I'll add it here as well.

Used to secure my jet in that manner….but I did damage a couple on one long trip to Indiana (there was lots of road work)…….so I now used 3” foam….6’ or longer, no more damage..they do look really nice.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:40 AM
AEROSHELDON

Mine has been built!!! No clue when it ships or when I get it. I did the foam thing as well Dansy with good results. I have no trailer now so I am using fuse bags and foam in my SUV and still working well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.