Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JP gear controller troubleshooting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JP gear controller troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 06:21 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI

I have a Pro-link Landing Gear Controller-Pro (LGC-13C) that is completely unlocked. It is fully functional and I am using on a T-3

Old 01-05-2022, 04:32 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The problem with the LGC12 & 13 is they do not have the gyro-controlled steering and braking. I tried both of them on the UltraFlash. When you have disk style electric brakes, one of the brakes frequently tends to lock up before the other. Even when you have anti-lock set up on the controller, planes frequently tend to veer or brake dance as you try to juggle the brake slider to get the plane to a stop, These bad tendencies are because the discs get magnetized unevenly resulting in both discs NOT engaging at the same time and/or evenly. When this causes a plane to dance around when you apply the brakes, I call this "brake dancing." You end up with a lot of extra wear and tear on the gear and airframe. Heavier planes (e.g. >40#s) typically don't dance. However, some still veer as the brakes are applied. Some planes end up veering into a landing light as the plane veers off the runway. I have seen a lot of braking issues at our jet rallies, everything from dancing, veering and even some pilots who will not use the brakes because of the brake's bad tendencies. I have even seen a couple larger planes veer into landing lights.

The LGC 15 uses its gyro, brakes and nose wheel to steer the plane straight while braking. Even if the style of electric brake does not use disks, this can be helpful! If the plane starts to veer, it uses the brakes to steer the plane on its original course. All the pilot has to do is line the plane up straight on the runway. Once the plane is on the ground, the brakes and nose wheel keep it going down the runway. If one side's brake grabs, the controller lets off on that brake's power and adds power to the opposing brake to keep the plane going straight. Once my planes are on the ground, I make any steering adjustments that I may need to line up in the runway and then I just push the brake slider up fully and let the controller steer and stop the plane. On my Ultraflash, this allowed my braking distance to be cut by two thirds w/o any brake dancing or flat spots in the tires. Of course, you also have to set the anti-lock feature and the power levels correctly to get this capability. But once you try a properly set up LGC15/GS200 and get it set up for your individual plane, you will never be happy with any other gear/brake controller, unless, ... you are too "thrifty" to put a in less than $200 controller to protect your >$5K investment.

Last edited by Len Todd; 01-05-2022 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:04 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Your thrifty point is valid. However, I recently installed an Assan AG 68 and it works perfectly at keeping the model straight during braking.
It controls the gear and turns off the steering servo when retracted. They claim it learns the amp out value.
Is it a GS200 or LGC 15 not hardly but it a valid option.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:52 AM
Len Todd

The Assan AG 68's description read is interesting. Does it also have an anti-lock feature?
Old 01-05-2022, 10:56 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by Len Todd
The Assan AG 68's description read is interesting. Does it also have an anti-lock feature?
All I can tell you is that I have made 5 flights and all landings with brakes have been perfectly straight. The model is an L39 which as you know has a narrow main gear track.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:13 AM
Len Todd

Working perfect is all that is necessary. My UF was light (24#s) and came in relatively fast. Without anti-lock brakes, the brakes would just lock up and the plane would start dancing around. PITA

C U at the Fall Classic. Last year, I had a last-minute conflict pop up.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Bob_B

Sounds good Len!
Old 12-02-2023, 03:56 AM
butta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have brand new JP LG retracts for my T ONE FORTUNE JET 2.2m. Just tried the sytem and found that one Back wheel port is not working, blue light is always on and no movement, other back wheel port is working when I hit open or close the stick. So any opinion? should I bought the new control unit by throwing this one to JP??
my unit is JP V-1B ER-150

???
Old 12-02-2023, 09:11 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I would just replace is with a Xicoy LG15. You will have brake differential with a gyro and the ability to control the max amps for each end point.
https://www.xicoy.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=414
Old 12-02-2023, 12:58 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by butta
Hi, I have brand new JP LG retracts for my T ONE FORTUNE JET 2.2m. Just tried the sytem and found that one Back wheel port is not working, blue light is always on and no movement, other back wheel port is working when I hit open or close the stick. So any opinion? should I bought the new control unit by throwing this one to JP??
my unit is JP V-1B ER-150

???
Are you sure it's the unit and not the gear? Try switching the left and right gear to check for a faulty gear instead of the control unit.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:47 PM
butta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes all 3 gear working , checked via the port which is not malfunctioning. Connect each by each they all working , in this case sure that controler is gone