Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF-Models new Tank Fittings

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF-Models new Tank Fittings

Old 12-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 434 Likes on 331 Posts
Default CARF-Models new Tank Fittings

CARF are slowly moving away from the original Dubro bung based fuel tank stopper. In thousands of flights these have never let me down, but they did require assembling carefully and some people didnít like them.
The new system is two part, feed and overflow both with a quick connect outlet for 6mm hard Poly tube. Inside the feed is a barb fitting to accept Tygon (or your choice of something else)

The hole accepts most popular pick ups.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Rudeboy

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is one of the reasons I went with the CMJets tank.

It comes with high flow barbed fittings and a really heavy brass clunk.

The push in fittings are ok, but then again, people report vacuum leaks sometimes.
I haven't had a leaking push in fitting ever..perhaps installation has something to do with that.
But properly wired barbed fittings are bullet proof.

Sometimes old school is best, sometimes it isn't, take your pick I guess.
The following users liked this post:
Springbok Flyer (12-02-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:17 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 434 Likes on 331 Posts

There are pro points every way. If these needed barb fittings on the outside too (feed because overflow is not an issue either way) they would have designed it so. Yes, people need to understand the importance of a square cut tube, I’ve seen side cutters used to create a nice angled cut and the guy moan the Festo leaked!
i don’t think I have ever seen a CM tank in a CARF model here in the U.K.-but guys realise the smooth outer finish is way less important than the smooth inside surfaces CARF mould. The clunk running over the rough cloth must wear debris over time…
Old 12-02-2021, 08:15 AM
Len Todd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The glue holding in the baffle in my Ultra Flash's OEM tank failed and a piece of it plugged the clunk. That made for a really harry surprise for a relatively new, at the time, jet pilot! Fortunately, the UF saved itself and came out of the spiral, flew straight at me about 15' above the ground to live another day. I hit the gear and flaps and landed it. I had a "Free Jet' after that experience. Took a while to find the culprit though.

But, ... that was only the second of 15 times I had serious issues with that plane. I also had 14 snaps from which I recovered from before the elevator hinge failed on its second stab. (On the first failed stab, I caught the failed hinge on the ground.) This year, I lost the plane due to a failed elevator hinge. But, ... the UF sure gave me a lot of "emergency recovery experience!" It was a fun plane to fly, even with the extra thrills and chills! However, it did not even last for 19hrs on the turbine, even though I had replaced the stab for the same issue once before.

We'll, maybe see how the new tanks holdup. I recently ordered a Rebel Classic. Hope it comes with the new tank arrangement.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:14 AM
Skunkwrks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
i donít think I have ever seen a CM tank in a CARF model here in the U.K.-but guys realise the smooth outer finish is way less important than the smooth inside surfaces CARF mould. The clunk running over the rough cloth must wear debris over timeÖ
Good to see Carf has changed the better plug fitting. Buddy of mine recently got a custom tank made by CMjet and when he looked inside was surprised at the amount of joining material was sitting on the inside seam and not smooth out. This could easily be loosened with the pickup end moving side to side, so he wasn't impressed by Carlo quality for the price.
The inside should be as smooth as the outside to help with the smooth transfer of fuel.
Going to check mine with I get in two weeks.

Old 12-02-2021, 01:47 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the push on style because it is easy to take the fuel system apart.
I think Carlos can do better and it is helpful to let him know. He seems eager to be the best. I have three of his tanks and have not had any issues.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:09 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm guessing that Carlos uses the plug for the outside of the tank explaining why it's so smooth exterior .
If you laid up the fiberglass over the plug then the inside surface would be smoother than the other way.

My friend has three, no four decades of working with fibreglass moulds and plugs in this hobby so he has a good eye for quality.