Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox CORE - likes and wishes - constructively please.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox CORE - likes and wishes - constructively please.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:40 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up Powerbox CORE - likes and wishes - constructively please.

Hi all,

It seem to me that a lot is getting lost 'in translation' on other forums and that is leading to misunderstanding and personal attacks and reactions. So I would like to appeal to everyone to please contribute here in a constructive fashion. It is my aim to discuss all the things we like and all the things we wish we had on the CORE. Please try to stay positive and not to express yourself too wildly. This is not a setup thread as elsewhere that is already available. Please try to avoid direct comparisons with other systems too.

What do I really like about my CORE:

1. The way it feels in my hands. It is so well balanced and using a neckstrap just gives me the perfect hold position whilst flying.
2. The versatility in programming. There is not much more I can think of that I still need it to do for me. Having said that, if there was/is I will make it a wish. If you know how any mixer or setup works, then you can program it.
3. I love the way the function menu work and all the flexibility it offers.
4. The various servo menu options are fantastic.
5. Being able to setup an individual shortcut user screen is great.
6. Being able to have different screens for different functions of flight situations are very nice. For example; a turbine start-up screen with all the turbine monitoring during start-up and shut down, a screen to monitor all the information coming from any power management system on board, a screen to monitor Gyro functionality, a screen to monitor all the transmitter aspects - including battery voltages, transmission and reception quality etc. Pretty much anything that a telemetry sensor can supply. Then finally I love creating a 'flying' screen which I default to during flying on which I incorporate only the priority information I need during flying. Things like; flight time, voltages, fuel remaining and transmission/reception quality warnings.
7. All the various timer and speech options are very nice to have.
8. Most of all I enjoy having enough channels and very importantly that I can adjust ALL my servos from the CORE and I don't have to dive into my model to make any adjustments.
9. Let me also say, having enough controls available on the CORE itself is fantastic, especially when like me, you don't use flight modes and would like to control everything individually.
10. Being able to update the CORE via WiFi is so cool. Then updating the receivers from the CORE is awesome. (Of course the PB Terminal and other options are also available)

When I think of more that I like, I will add it to my list.

What are my wishes:

1. I wish I could put the photo of my current model on the screen as one of the widgets.
2. I wish I could get taller legs under the CORE when it is placed on the ground during starting. The two loops are just too short and I wish they were twice as tall. This is quite a problem when flying and operating from grass venues.
3. Another wish I have it that the upright transmitter case opened from halfway up, rather than just the top part. This will help to keep it upright and make it less prone to falling over.
4. I also wish there was a helicopter option on the initial model screen. Yes I know it is possible to program heli's on the CORE, but having a specific shortcut giving guidance to the modeller will be fantastic. Perhaps a 'model choice' option where one could choose the type of model you wish to program could be offered. In other words: Glider or Plane or Helicopter or multi rotor etc. Then once you made that selection the CORE can get specific in suggesting the next move.

Thanks for adding your likes and wishes. I am sure the powers-that-be will accept this in good faith.

JanR
The following 2 users liked this post by Springbok Flyer:
blackcat (12-10-2021), dutch_tw (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 08:14 AM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish the sequencer could use a 3 position switch that I use to toggle between different flight modes.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:38 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I wish I could afford one lol
The following 2 users liked this post by LGM Graphix:
BarracudaHockey (12-12-2021), Smokeyr67 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
I wish I could afford one lol
LOL..... IT IS a really great radio.....
Old 12-13-2021, 05:45 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 223 Likes on 181 Posts

Love mine and can't wait to see the Atom

My only wish right now is a widget to put the model jpeg on the main screen, though if given a choice I'd prefer they fix any issues or add functionality before they tinker with that.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:48 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

I wish there were non-alcantera models (perhaps there are and I missed it?) because as nice as it feels, I can’t imagine how filthy with fuel residue, sweat etc it must become in short order. I’m only a window shopper at this point and no one at my field has one so perhaps I’m out in left field here….
The following users liked this post:
Smokeyr67 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:54 AM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
LOL..... IT IS a really great radio.....
I have no doubt, it's the only option I'm considering. I am still flying my 12X's. It's just a huge investment when considering the transmitter and all the receivers I'd need. It's tough for me to justify it when the truth is I'm not interested in 90% of what the radio can do. I want the radio link and reliability. I don't care at all about telemetry or talking radios, I don't even use flight modes in my JR stuff. Basic mixes, reversing, that kind of stuff. I've been flying 40 years and have never felt the need (nor had the smarts to figure out) the other stuff.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:57 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by highhorse View Post
I wish there were non-alcantera models (perhaps there are and I missed it?) because as nice as it feels, I can’t imagine how filthy with fuel residue, sweat etc it must become in short order. I’m only a window shopper at this point and no one at my field has one so perhaps I’m out in left field here….
You brought that up on Flying Giants i believe.

I live in (mostly hot, humid, sweaty) Florida, I fly 3 to 5 times a week and have one of the first Core radios in the US and mine look and feel as good as the day I got the radio. AND they are removable to clean if needed.

It's a non-issue
Old 12-13-2021, 11:12 AM
Bob_B

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I have no doubt, it's the only option I'm considering. I am still flying my 12X's. It's just a huge investment when considering the transmitter and all the receivers I'd need. It's tough for me to justify it when the truth is I'm not interested in 90% of what the radio can do. I want the radio link and reliability. I don't care at all about telemetry or talking radios, I don't even use flight modes in my JR stuff. Basic mixes, reversing, that kind of stuff. I've been flying 40 years and have never felt the need (nor had the smarts to figure out) the other stuff.

I'm guessing you have a JR/Spektrum system so no matter what new radio you go with you'll have to buy new Rx's? When ever I hear that argument I tell people to convert one model then learn the system and then convert the other models. I'm sur you have thought of that yourself.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:14 AM
BarracudaHockey

That and there's the cost of the used equipment to consider when you sell it to recoup some of your change over cost.

I've had excellent luck selling stuff but I put a bunch of power safe and 9 channel spektrum stuff out there when availability was/is low and return on used Spektrum gear high
Old 12-13-2021, 03:53 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
I'm guessing you have a JR/Spektrum system so no matter what new radio you go with you'll have to buy new Rx's? When ever I hear that argument I tell people to convert one model then learn the system and then convert the other models. I'm sur you have thought of that yourself.
Correct. And yes I realize that no matter what system I go to I will be facing that situation. I had high hopes for some of the new spektrum transmitters when they were coming out but heard too many things that I didn't like and I hate the plastic cheap feel of the spektrum stuff.

I wish the core had simple receivers too, that I could just easily buy a 12 channel receiver. I don't understand the multiple receiver thing that they use (maybe it's different now or I just don't understand it) but I like the simplicity of buying a 12 channel receiver and just plugging my servos in. I don't have anything all that big where I've felt the need for power boxes and other stuff. While I don't necessarily mean to sound like I'm avoiding new tech, I've been flying turbine jets for 22 years with no issues, and I admit I struggle with change and learning new technology.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:29 PM
BarracudaHockey

The dual receiver stuff is pretty easy actually.

You bring up the telemetry menu and tell receiver number 2 that it starts at channel 10.

I'd love a 12 channel simple receiver as well but I did dual in one of my small turbine jets
Old 12-13-2021, 06:12 PM
Bob_B

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

There is only one radio brand with 4-18 channel rxs that I know of. The 11-18 have an external power connection too.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:17 PM
Springbok Flyer

Cool Let's just qualify this wish......

I wish the core had simple receivers too, that I could just easily buy a 12 channel receiver. I don't understand the multiple receiver thing that they use (maybe it's different now or I just don't understand it) but I like the simplicity of buying a 12 channel receiver and just plugging my servos in.
It is my wish too and I agree also with Andy regarding the way to couple two receivers to achieve the 12 to 20 channel receiver option. BUT I also realise that when you do that coupling, the power connection has to be added to both the receivers and each of those receivers can only provide it's own level of redundancy. In other words, the one is not a backup to the other - they only deal with the channels they serve, with their individual capability.

JanR
Old 12-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Smokeyr67

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not related to the Core, but to PB itself. I’d like to see them update all their systems to accept a 3s or even 4s LiFe input, and output 8.4 volts.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:29 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

What I did was to start buying new rx's and such after I made the decision that I needed/wanted a new radio with more channels. So I kept one 12X and sold one, always looking for a radio that felt as good in my hands as the 12X and that I could reach the switches with my short fingers and not drag on one of the sticks. I've been through a number of different radios now and while the Spektrum DX-20 came close, but it had a death sentence on it almost before it even hit the street.

Until I grabbed a CORE tx, I never found what I was looking for. It's almost exactly the same size as the 12X and almost the same weight which I really like and I can reach all the switches

All my GS gassers and one Turbine still fly on the 12X. There are still a few models on Futaba, the foam stuff will probably stay on Spektrum for awhile but all the Turbine stuff and Pattern stuff have been converted to CORE. THAT was expensive......

Last edited by Zeeb; 12-14-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:12 AM
David Gladwin

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
The dual receiver stuff is pretty easy

I'd love a 12 channel simple receiver as well but I did dual in one of my small turbine jets
Works very well. I currently have two largish jets flying with dual receivers without a. PowerBox, my Rotkoski Sabre as shown, and PST Reaction, both with multiple sensors, works perfectly. Primary controls on 9 ch, secondary, speed brakes wheel brakes etc on 7 ch rx.

My guess is that eventually PB. will have a totally integrated unit like the superb Weatronic Gizmo with receivers, ( as I use on two AW Hawks, a SG Hawk and FC Mig 29, using JR Txs ) regulators, gyros and GPS all in one box, making installation dead easy and with 26 servo outputs.

Still cant work out why you guys didn’t grab the Wea system, light years ahead of anything else when released and now the basis of the Core system. So easy to convert a JR or Futaba into an awesomely capable radio.That said, can’t understand why some dont use one of the most powerful features of the Core ( and 12x) FLIGHT MODES !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 12-15-2021 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:07 PM
frankie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello David,

A little off-topic, but can you elaborate on the specs and performance of the Rotkoski Sabre? From recollection, and I may be wrong, but it was loosely based on the BVM sabre of the time just bigger. What's the AUW, and more importantly, how does it fly?

As far as Weatronic gear is concerned, mine is still working faultlessly and I really hold it in high regard.

Best Regards, Frank
Old 12-15-2021, 09:55 PM
Springbok Flyer

Default Please stay with the topic.

Originally Posted by frankie View Post
Hello David,

A little off-topic, but can you elaborate on the specs and performance of the Rotkoski Sabre? From recollection, and I may be wrong, but it was loosely based on the BVM sabre of the time just bigger. What's the AUW, and more importantly, how does it fly?

As far as Weatronic gear is concerned, mine is still working faultlessly and I really hold it in high regard.

Best Regards, Frank
Please can we stay with the topic and also not compare other systems to the PB CORE. This is unfortunately how threads always end up in controversy.

Thank you,

JanR
Old 12-16-2021, 01:23 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer View Post
Please can we stay with the topic and also not compare other systems to the PB CORE. This is unfortunately how threads always end up in controversy.

Thank you,

JanR
Springbok, You miss the points, not comparison of other systems, just Core heritage and solution to suggested shortcoming !

The Core radio IS a development of the Weatronic system, they bought the company after the death the principal. Anyone who has used Wea and now Core can clearly see the heritage , and the Core is all the better for that. My long experience with Wea has shown it be an extremely fine radio and certain aspects of the Core are even better, enhancements. To call the Core a lemon is utterly crass, ( Halcyon) only the very best equipment gets into my models, I have very high regard for Jeti, but Core is my choice. Rather like some airlines choose different engines for the same airframe, they have a choice of excellence. Or different airframes for the same engine !

So, some of you guys want a 12 ch receiver, it may come in time, its not a priority , In the meantime I have shown that even quite large jets can be flown perfectly well on the current 9 ch plus an add-on , in my case a 7.

This Sabre has a 9 plus 7 with four JR 8931s plus 3 JR 8411s, and several other smaller servos, a PB new style sensor, plus two Jeti 2300 Lions.It all works perfectly and now with the P 2 servo bridge I can measure individual servo currents and back calculate torque. Even Wea could not do that, it measures only TOTAL currents, valuable but not as specific as I would like to evaluate servo performance.

So some of you guys want a micro receiver, you have one !

The Wea Micro weighs 5 grammes the Core 5 weighs just 7 but is full range, Is 2 gm THAT important. What are they flying, butterflies ?

All that said, there are one or two aspects of Wea I still prefer and vice versa, but I am still discovering the Core, its a very complex but highly capable system, capable of yet more enhancement. Otherwise why would I be using it, for a whole flying career I got to use state of the art avionics, from WW2 Gee and NBS upto FMCs on the 767/757, reasonable experience. Core IS state of the art for model avionics.

….and Frankie, glad to hear of your Weatronic success but not surprised, we both know how good and capable it is.

The Rotkoski Sabre is small BVM plus 25 % which makes it a great size, so much easier than my small BVM, ( very crowded with PST 600) who missed a trick not offering it as a kit when they were offered it. It is very scale in outline except gear door shapes not quite right and the intake is sized for fan power. Otherwise looks very scale and the wing is the 6-3 slatless version. I redesigned intake ducting to accept a BVM duct and BVM made me a new tailpipe which they said was the wrong diameter for its length, but, in fact, works perfectly, egts normal. Cant remember the weight, will check, but not heavy.
Mine is powered perfectly with a JetsMunt Merlin 100 and flies beautifully with I gyro sat on rudder and aileron. Was going to install my Xicoy 120 but a flying friend says it looks just right as is, so the Merlin stays.

Very few kits were produced, I know the late John Franklin got two but they seem to have disappeared, shame as they were beautifully done by Hernay Serrano of New York. ( Mine came from JFK on Concorde so its already flown at Mach 2! )

Give my best regards to the Aust jet fliers, I have some wonderful memories of flying at Sale, Wang and Temora.

David.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 12-16-2021 at 01:54 AM.
blackcat (12-17-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 01:54 AM
Springbok Flyer

Please!

Please can we stay with the LIKES and WISHES of and for the PB CORE only.

JanR
Old 12-16-2021, 01:58 AM
David Gladwin

I LIKE it because it IS state of the art, capable of yet more, !

Sorry you cannot see that the points I raised, eg Weatronics heritage, receiver useage, servo current measurements, etc.,ARE LIKES !

…….and NO, its not ALWAYS pilot error !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 12-16-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:45 PM
flyalan
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I am quite impressed with the Core. I bought mine used a few weeks ago.
I like the feel of the radio. I have owned about every brand out there and as far as high end radios go it is the most comfortable to me.
The touch screen was a draw and. so far, I have not been dissatisfied. The screen clarity is amazing.
I really like the voice synthesizer. I hate having to generate and copy over wav files.
The Wifi updates were another selling point. The one I acquired had not been updated to include Wifi. It was an easy update and works flawlessly.
The menu structure makes sense. I have set up one jet so far using a Powerbox Mercury SRS.
I have no dislikes or wishes yet. I did do have an issue with the throttle trimmer not working in one direction and the radio is on the way to Adam for repair.

Cheers
Alan
Springbok Flyer (12-16-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 04:33 AM
Jannica

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My wish is that Powerbox would engage a certain gentleman who is currently doing fantastic video tutorials for another brand of radio gear. If he could be persuaded to do a series of tutorials for the CORE system I think that the Atom would get a flying start!

Jannica
Sweden
Springbok Flyer (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 04:38 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by Jannica View Post
My wish is that Powerbox would engage a certain gentleman who is currently doing fantastic video tutorials for another brand of radio gear. If he could be persuaded to do a series of tutorials for the CORE system I think that the Atom would get a flying start!

Jannica
Sweden
I agree, but Harry , a flying friend, is very committed to Jeti for whom he is doing an excellent job., I think converting him would be VERY difficult !

I still think the Atom will be very succesful.
Jannica (12-17-2021)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.