Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mirce Models F-104 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mirce Models F-104 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 04:28 AM
johannmicallef

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mirce Models F-104 Build

Hi everyone. I will be doing a build thread for the new project that I will be starting soon together with my father. It's a Mirce Models F-104 1/4 scale. I know that there is another build thread but I didn't want to hijack that thread. I will be trying to go scale as much as possible with this build, also as integrating some modifications I have seen on other threads or that we will come along with.

Until now we have only received the 3D printed wing tip tanks as the kit is being held by customs. I am currently building a Carf Tucano so this build will commence after the Tucano, hence, there will be a slow start to the build.

Planning to put a Kingtech 260 and using the attached JASDF special scheme.

Any heads up would be appriciated.

The following 5 users liked this post by johannmicallef:
drfred58809 (01-20-2022), grbaker (01-20-2022), Martinik1 (01-07-2022), SAP_2000 (01-21-2022), u2fast (01-07-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 08:59 AM
xradarusa
My Feedback: (8)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the kit arrive yet?? I would sure like to build one also.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:10 PM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, my Sabre kit took 3 + weeks to arrive; although that was over the Holidays.
Jim
Old 01-21-2022, 03:37 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this build!
Gary
Old 01-24-2022, 02:20 AM
johannmicallef

The kit was cleared but customs last week. I did open the brown box to check that nothing is damaged and yes, all looks good.

I am currently building a CARF Tucano so as soon as I am done with that one, I will start the F-104. Hopefully within a months’ time. I started searching for balsa sheet's, at the moment it's a nightmare to find balsa sheets at all here in Europe, let alone at good price.

Here's a list of some of modifications I am planning to implement of this kit;
  • Install navigation/formation/landing lights - 14 in total on the F-104J
  • Fix intake shape, they need to be round, not with a flat side (easy fix)
  • Fix Aft. upper fuselage, just between the spine and the vertical stabilizer (the kit has the spine going straight into the vertical stab while the real F-104 did not)
  • Add leading egde slats and make the leading-edge sharper
  • Add a parachute hatch and the parachute itself
  • Fix nose cone shape, make it more conical like the real F-104
  • Try and add air brakes. This depends on the formers position and the way the aft part of the fuselage is split as from my calculation; the air cylinder would be in the middle of the two sections
  • Modify the vertical stab to have the elevator servos hidden inside.

While some of the above are an easy fix, other's will be a headache, but I'd like to make the F-104J as close as possible to a scale replica. Will be interesting.

The following users liked this post:
Martinik1 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:02 AM
Martinik1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Johann, try thomabalsa. com , I am ordering light balsa from them, good prices and great quality!

Old 02-23-2022, 12:42 PM
xradarusa

Just ordered my F-104 kit and I can't wait to get started on it. When my kit arrives it will be best day ever. As of right now, I plan on covering it and trying to keep it as light as possible. With that in mind does anyone know if it is sheeted in 3/32 inch balsa sheet or 1/8 inch balsa sheet. Just trying to source sheeting as I notice it has gone up in price quite a bit. And many thanks to Martin at Mirce Models for all of his help as it is much appreciated.
Alex
The following users liked this post:
Viper1GJ (02-23-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:51 AM
johannmicallef

Originally Posted by xradarusa
Just ordered my F-104 kit and I can't wait to get started on it. When my kit arrives it will be best day ever. As of right now, I plan on covering it and trying to keep it as light as possible. With that in mind does anyone know if it is sheeted in 3/32 inch balsa sheet or 1/8 inch balsa sheet. Just trying to source sheeting as I notice it has gone up in price quite a bit. And many thanks to Martin at Mirce Models for all of his help as it is much appreciated.
Alex
Hi Alex, the kif is designed for 1/8 inch (3mm) balsa sheet. I have managed to source my sheeting from Italy and it has arrived this week. Building will start soon as I almost finished my current build.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:11 PM
xradarusa

Just applied my first coat of filler on the rear fuselage section. Will fit up servos once my servo plates arrive. Cut the sheeting flush with the rear former as I plan on adding some thin aluminum back there in case of a hot start.

Hope johannmicallef does not mind me posting in his forum every once in awhile as I fully understand that he is going for competition scale. Even though I have built many airplanes am still perfectly happy with stand way off scale. Plan on building this giant F-104 to fly by keeping it as light as possible. Than again my plans often change...........

Alex

Last edited by xradarusa; 04-13-2022 at 01:13 PM. Reason: misspelling
The following 2 users liked this post by xradarusa:
BadBill (04-14-2022), jcterrettaz (04-13-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 03:00 AM
johannmicallef

Time to give an update on the build of the F-104. After a couple of busy months, two weeks ago we managed to start the build. Until now, the kit goes together very nicely. I found a few missing components from the kit which Mirce has already shipped out the replacment, excellent service from his side.

As you can see, everything in packed in packs and marked for their according location.

Started from the nose cone.

Started sheeting the fwd section with 3mm balsa

Nose section ready

Before we started sheeting the nose cone, we added a few pieces of balsa to make the nose cone more cone shaped as the kit had the top part flat which is not scale.

The following 3 users liked this post by johannmicallef:
BadBill (08-04-2022), bandit_av (08-04-2022), grbaker (08-04-2022)