Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Advise on 1st turbine jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Advise on 1st turbine jet

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 09:02 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

It's funny how time changes things.
I started flying ducted fans back in the 90's. When turbines first came on the scene jets like the F15 and F16 were considered ideal first jets. Now the idea of a first jet is a telemaster with a turbine. OK not really but what I mean is jets like reaction 54's, boomerangs, shokjets etc are fine and they teach the operation of a turbine great but imo they don't prepare you for any type of heavy metal jet.
To each their own for sure, but in my opinion, a lightly built F16 makes a great first jet, thats why the Tamjets/cermark F16 was so popular. It was light and flew super easy. There were a ton of 1/8 scale F16s on the market years ago and now there are a ton kf bigger ones. They fly super easy and fly like an actual jet.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:13 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thoemse
Then it is just like aerofly. While flying it is allright. Just nopower and flaps down it goes into easy mode.

I got the F-16 here now btw. Fly it or use it's turbine on a trainerfirst is the question now hehe.
I'm not saying it can't be done.
A turbine is just different, certainly while landing.
The flying itself is mostly the same, just more power compared to an edf, so you do most of your flying between 1/4 and 2/3 throttle input.

I've seen a guy freak out and freeze...he didn't have the presence of mind to just reduce throttle when his plane just kept picking up speed.

If you are an experienced flyer, able to adapt to something different quickly, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 AM
Thoemse

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudeboy
I'm not saying it can't be done.
A turbine is just different, certainly while landing.
The flying itself is mostly the same, just more power compared to an edf, so you do most of your flying between 1/4 and 2/3 throttle input.

I've seen a guy freak out and freeze...he didn't have the presence of mind to just reduce throttle when his plane just kept picking up speed.

If you are an experienced flyer, able to adapt to something different quickly, it shouldn't be a problem.
Definatly experienced, just not turbine jets. I certainly do not freeze. Only thing I am really concerned about is greasing it in on our runnway on first flight. The seller told me the jetsmunt vt80 is very quick responding too and has not much turbine lag. That should be helpful.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Rudeboy

Originally Posted by Thoemse
Definatly experienced, just not turbine jets. I certainly do not freeze. Only thing I am really concerned about is greasing it in on our runnway on first flight. The seller told me the jetsmunt vt80 is very quick responding too and has not much turbine lag. That should be helpful.
I have a VT80BL too...runs great!
Start it up, when it's at idle, blip the throttle and watch the screen : look at how long it takes to go back down from let's say 60.000 rpm to a 42.000 rpm idle.

First landings: fly a circuit like a full size plane. A nice big downwind-base-final landing approach.
Use the downwind leg to find the throttle setting where your plane comfortably goes along with the flaps and gear down. Don't play with the throttle, if it starts to sink, just add one or two clicks of throttle and leave it alone.
On the base leg, reduce throttle a click or two and start trading altitude for speed.
When turning in for final, and you feel the plane is getting too slow or you have to start feeding it elevator, just open the throttle and do a go around. Don't try to get it Onto the runway by playing with the throttle.

When you have nailed your approach, you basically just have to chop the throttle to idle at the beginning of the runway and flare the plane on the runway. It almost has to land itself basically.

Don't fly high approaches...that's just about it
The following users liked this post:
Thoemse (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 11:21 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The biggest mistake made with jets on landing that I see, whether turbine, EDF or glow ducted fan is keeping the same mentality as with a prop plane where if you need to pull up and go around you just hit power and go. When you have propwash over the tail the control surface is effective almost immediately. With jets all you have is airspeed. If you are getting to where you have to pull up or even simply add power because you're going too slow, you have to let the airspeed build up before you deflect control surfaces or a stall is imminent. Prop driven aircraft are so overpowered these days that you can almost always save a model just by hitting the power and pulling up. With jets if you hit power and up elevator at the same time all that happens is you raise the nose into a stall and when the thrust comes along it drives you into the ground faster.
it's not difficult to fly a jet, just different. If you think of it like a prop driven model you'll break it. You just need to think of it as the jet model it is.
Viper1GJ (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 11:29 AM
Rudeboy

Indeed, absolutely correct.

You have to be ahead of the plane.
The decision to do a go around has to be made before you even reach the threshold of the runway.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:43 AM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lgm your assessment is right on. I still see experienced pilots doing the errors mentioned. Been flying jets since the 80's. Started turbines w carf Euro in 2005. Good first turbine. listen to all the advice , watch your prospective helpers closely. Have fun too
Old 01-28-2022, 12:00 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

It's all about trim. Get your test pilot to set it up with flight modes. Cruise - clean jet. T/O- takeoff flaps and about 1/2 throttle. Landing- gear and full flaps and about 1/2 throttle. All modes should be trimmed to hands off, level flight.
If you find yourself at idle ask yourself why? The only time you should be in idle is when you flair for landing.
Viper1GJ (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 05:54 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo
It's all about trim. Get your test pilot to set it up with flight modes. Cruise - clean jet. T/O- takeoff flaps and about 1/2 throttle. Landing- gear and full flaps and about 1/2 throttle. All modes should be trimmed to hands off, level flight.
If you find yourself at idle ask yourself why? The only time you should be in idle is when you flair for landing.
All of mine are trimmed with a slight nose down when the stick is released. It has made everything I do 100% better, especially landing.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:51 PM
Thoemse

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
All of mine are trimmed with a slight nose down when the stick is released. It has made everything I do 100% better, especially landing.
I do that on my EDF jets too but only for landing. Nothing is worse than having to push the nose down for landing. Never ends well.