Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reactivating a turbine jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reactivating a turbine jet

Old 01-30-2022, 11:52 PM
Thoemse

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reactivating a turbine jet

Hello everyone.

I've been wanting to fly a turbine since I picked up my turbine heli. The sound and smell is intoxicating.
Eventhough I am able to fly pretty much anything remote control from EDF jet to 3D flyer to heli I was looking for a turbine trainer.

I ended up with a 1/8 scale F16 instead wich has supposedly very good flying characteristics and does not stall in a bad manner but it ain't a trainer.
It was a too good opportunity to pass up though.

The jet did however stand on the shelf for 4 years by now. Before that it made exactly 20 flights, the turbine has more flights on it and stands at 14 hours of unproblematic use.
It's a jetsmunt VT80 brushless.

I am currently considering if I should just fill it up and look if it starts up ok or if I should exchange the whole tubing for new one. The tubing is 4mm clear throughout and seems in good order. The jet is dry right now.

Do you guys renew the tubing every couple of years? Anything else I should look out for when trying to start up a turbine that hasn't been run for a while?
Old 01-31-2022, 03:59 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Thoemse View Post
Hello everyone.

I've been wanting to fly a turbine since I picked up my turbine heli. The sound and smell is intoxicating.
Eventhough I am able to fly pretty much anything remote control from EDF jet to 3D flyer to heli I was looking for a turbine trainer.

I ended up with a 1/8 scale F16 instead wich has supposedly very good flying characteristics and does not stall in a bad manner but it ain't a trainer.
It was a too good opportunity to pass up though.

The jet did however stand on the shelf for 4 years by now. Before that it made exactly 20 flights, the turbine has more flights on it and stands at 14 hours of unproblematic use.
It's a jetsmunt VT80 brushless.

I am currently considering if I should just fill it up and look if it starts up ok or if I should exchange the whole tubing for new one. The tubing is 4mm clear throughout and seems in good order. The jet is dry right now.

Do you guys renew the tubing every couple of years? Anything else I should look out for when trying to start up a turbine that hasn't been run for a while?
‘I would take the fuel tank apart for sure, just to make sure there’s no algae in it……do the same for the UAT and filter….and last I would re-prime the system in container…..throw that away…
The following users liked this post:
Thoemse (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:11 AM
Thoemse

Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
‘I would take the fuel tank apart for sure, just to make sure there’s no algae in it……do the same for the UAT and filter….and last I would re-prime the system in container…..throw that away…
Fuel tank is clear and clean. UAT I'll need to check. There's no drop of kerosene in it - that probably helped keeping it clean.
I'll re-prime it as you said for sure to get any residue out of the system - in case there is any.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:15 AM
Len Todd

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I would replace the clunk line in the fuel tank. Also, when starting I would check for air leaks around any fittings. Don't forget to have the fire extinguisher handy when starting it for the first time.
Thoemse (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 10:54 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If there is any yellow Tygon type tubing you will absolutely need to change that out.
Thoemse (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 11:11 AM
Thoemse

Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
If there is any yellow Tygon type tubing you will absolutely need to change that out.
No tygon no.
Just tested the behotec retracts. Absolutely pressure stable and works great. So far so good.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:01 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

i'd start with all new batteries as well as the fuel system advice above...
Thoemse (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 01:40 PM
Thoemse

Originally Posted by patf View Post
i'd start with all new batteries as well as the fuel system advice above...
It didn't come with batteries. I am adding 2x 2200mah LiFe redundant for the electronics and a new 2S lipo for the turbine. Also running dual recievers for good measure.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:20 AM
David Gladwin

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve Collins;12713765]If there is any yellow Tygon type tubing you will absolutely need to change that out.[/QUOTE

Why ?

Since Christmas I have been checking over several of my jets, all with at least some Tygon.

My two Bobcats are almost 20 years old, still with same Tygon and Festo filters and BVM UAT. 800 flights.
My two Airworld Hawks are 14 years old, original Tygon, and Festo filter all still good.
My FC Mig 29 was first flown about 18 years ago, original Tygon still there. Its now good to go.
PST Reaction and Revision 15 years old, still with same Tygon.
Yes, the Tygon discolours and stiffens slighly, but does not seem to deteriorate as much as some guys think and say.
A 4 year lay up is not that bad, check the fuel system for integrity ( blow into it and check airtightness) fuel it and run it, JetsMunt, like Xicoy, are brilliant engines. Usual precautions !
The following 3 users liked this post by David Gladwin:
LN-JET (02-02-2022), RCISFUN (02-07-2022), Thoemse (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 05:18 AM
Marcinek

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

How often do you change your tygon tubbing on fuel tanks
Old 02-02-2022, 05:55 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcinek View Post
How often do you change your tygon tubbing on fuel tanks
‘I don’t, I switch all my tanks to Viton, now if you don’t fly Diesel…the tygon might last a little longer….but I could see a different in flexibility after one year…
The following 2 users liked this post by Dansy:
Marcinek (02-02-2022), Viper1GJ (02-02-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:46 AM
Marcinek

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you, I didnt hear of viton earlier.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:10 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is also a good idea to give the turbine a spin with your finger to be sure that the bearings are free.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:18 AM
Thoemse

Originally Posted by flyinfool1 View Post
It is also a good idea to give the turbine a spin with your finger to be sure that the bearings are free.
I gave it a spin with the starter motor allready. Too late for that. It doeshowever spin free.
Tx is programmed. I'll try to fire it up soon.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:15 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

The pump may be gummed up, and may not turn at low voltage to get the start sequence going. The prime function in the ECU may be insufficient to run the motor if it is stuck.

Suggest connecting the pump to a 0-5V voltage source and circulating fuel through it before connecting it to the engine, to make sure that the pump is running free.

That only works for an old-style brushed pump though. Newer brushless pumps as used on your JM VT80 would need to use a brushless speed controller.

Paul

Paul
Thoemse (02-07-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 01:37 AM
Thoemse

I made a first testrun yesterday. The turbine is starting up without issues. This is a big win because the whole package is allready worth what I paid for now.
The hopper tank is not sealed properly anymore though and loosing kerosene. The O-ring probably went bad in the 4 years it was shelved. No way I wanna fly it like this.

I decided to rip out tank + hopper completely and replace it with a bladder tank. No mess and no more thinking about air bubbles in the system.

Last edited by Thoemse; 02-14-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Dansy (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 04:49 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 495 Likes on 371 Posts

Listen the the bearings over the next 10 runs…the possible corrosion in the tracks is the danger, it wears the balls…they reduce in diameter and then the shaft will float with all the associated issues.

if it starts to sound ‘like sand is in the bearings’ stop running it and have them replaced.

Never replaced a section of Tygon on any of my jets, some going back over 12 years. Yellow tube called Tygon is not always Tygon!
Old 02-14-2022, 05:53 AM
Thoemse

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
Listen the the bearings over the next 10 runs…the possible corrosion in the tracks is the danger, it wears the balls…they reduce in diameter and then the shaft will float with all the associated issues.

if it starts to sound ‘like sand is in the bearings’ stop running it and have them replaced.

Never replaced a section of Tygon on any of my jets, some going back over 12 years. Yellow tube called Tygon is not always Tygon!
I'll listen closely thank you. I had a good look at the tubing. There is no tygon - just the clear "hard" stuff. It's still good. The problem is the UAT. It is leaking and making a mess out of my plane.
I could of course try to reseal it but since the seller allready said he'd get rid of it and use a better UAT I decided to go for the bladder solution. That allows me to get rid of the complicated tubing for pretty much the same price of a decent UAT.