Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airworld still in business?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airworld still in business?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 10:48 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Airworld still in business?

I've sent a few emails to Han's at Airworld and not even a reply, hasn't even looked at a video I send him, called the main number and no answer.

Anyone knows what's going on with them? Bought a Gripen from Hans and after closer inspection and disassembly to find out why the gear won't lock and a lot of "play" by the looks of it he sold me broken hydraulic gear. Can't do anything with it until it's replaced. If anyone knows him directly I'd appreciate the help. I spent a lot of money with Airworld and I feel like they have left me high and dry.

Last edited by F900; 02-06-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:52 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Yes, they are still there. I has an answer from him Friday after a period of silence…
Old 02-07-2022, 02:05 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should always catch someone at the office number. I recently picked up my F104 and I also ordered some small parts last week.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:23 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F900
I've sent a few emails to Han's at Airworld and not even a reply, hasn't even looked at a video I send him, called the main number and no answer.

Anyone knows what's going on with them? Bought a Gripen from Hans and after closer inspection and disassembly to find out why the gear won't lock and a lot of "play" by the looks of it he sold me broken hydraulic gear. Can't do anything with it until it's replaced. If anyone knows him directly I'd appreciate the help. I spent a lot of money with Airworld and I feel like they have left me high and dry.
The gear for the Gripen is hydraulic and is held in position by hydraulic lock not any mechanical lock. Personally, I am not a big fan and had a friend redesign and manufacture new parts for the gear to make it lock by adding a new drag link with integral air cylinder and locking mechanism.

If you have any further questions about it, PM me.

Yes, Airworld is still in business. I had an email exchange with them a couple of weeks ago.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 02-07-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:34 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Keeping gear in position with a hydraulic lock was the big problem with the FC. Mig 29, now solved on mine.

With the help of a hydraulic engineer I solved that problem by using Festo pilot valves and Festo high pressure tubing.

One valve per leg. The operation is simple. The pilot pressure, simply a tap from the up line, opens the valve to allow retraction but will not allow flow in that direction caused by the leg trying to collapse on the ground when pilot pressure is removed and pressure is fed to the down sides of the cylinder.

Simple, relatively inexpensive, no servos needed, and totally reliable.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 02-08-2022 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:04 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Keeping gear in position with a hydraulic lock was the big problem with the FC. Mig 29, now solved on mine.

With the help of a hydraulic engineer I solved that problem by using Festo pilot valves and Festo high pressure tubing.

One valve per leg. The operation is simple. The pilot pressure, simply a tap from the up line, opens the valve to allow retraction but will not allow flow in that direction caused by the leg trying to collapse on the ground when pilot pressure is removed and pressure is fed to the down sides of the cylinder.

Simple, relatively inexpensive, no servos needed, and totally reliable.
David,

What you suggested sounds like a simple and inexpensive way of solving problems such as gear collapse and may be sufficient for the MiG-29 (and I briefly considered it on my Gripen) but on the Gripen there is another issue…

The main gear hydraulic cylinders are extended when the gear is extended. When landing, especially with the nose raised, unless the plane is landed extremely smoothly/gently, contact with the ground pushes the gear to to retract, which it won’t because of the trapped fluid. However, the extended cylinder rod will buckle/bend and the cylinder will need to be replaced (at a cost of ~$200 each). I replaced 3-4 cylinders after the first dozen flights until the landing gear was redesigned with a proper mechanical locking drag strut (like those commonly seen on F16 models.

Jim
Old 02-08-2022, 07:02 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Then I’m sorry, Jim, that I cannot help you with !
Old 03-01-2022, 12:15 PM
Turtlejets

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F900

Definitely still in business. I recently ordered a new F9F Panther nose cone from them after an unscrupulous chap didn't provide me it when I swapped my Jet Legend F15 for the F9F kit. I wish I checked, but people pretend to be nice/trustworthy! Anyway, I was quoted a 4 week lead time and paid up there and then. At 5 weeks I called and was able to get through on the phone and spoke with Hans. They do answer, but unfortunately i'm not sure on average speed for spare parts. I hope that I get mine soon as I should really like it for the new season. Next task will be UK customs I'm sure...