Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel line deterioration!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel line deterioration!

Old 07-19-2022, 08:48 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replacing fuel lines 3x times in 12 years is a bit much and if you find it necessary because of deterioration, I would suggest you look source better quality lines. Regular replacement is definitely not a must anywhere near this rate. I have birds that have over a decade on the same lines and besides some mild discoloration there are no issues. A properly installed fuel system will last a looooong time. Regular inspection is good proactive on all components an systems though ...

Based on your other pics i would focus on the following 1st , and use these points as a good principal for any fuel system installation.
- use safety wire and not zip ties around fuel lines over barbed fittings
- never ever use Tygon ( real or imitation ) on Festo fittings
- technically Festo press fit fittings should be used on the the pressure side of the fuel system. where possible, use barbed fittings on the suction side
- drill and screw in fittings into nylon tanks can and eventually will leak.
- use nylon ( festo grade ) tubing where possible over Tygon, and if used, source only real tygon.
- Also in some kevlar/composite tanks, avoid using metal tube extensions that might run through internal baffles. Thesa have been known to "saw" through after many years of use. Interestingly, BVM in the past had found this as an issue that presented itself also because of movement caused by thousands of miles of transporting planes

Old 07-20-2022, 12:33 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Wojtik, if you knew anything about turbines replacing fuel lines should be done every 2-3 years no matter what fuel lines you use. Prevention is always better than the cure, LOL.
I know how to look after my models, I'm not here asking for help or advice on the subject if you read my posts, I use what I find most practical and avail when in need.

BTW, despite the nasty discoloratoion and thorough inspection, the mentioned lines are still pretty flexible so there's no sigh of brittleness or urgent need to replace. All good, Happy and Safe flying.

All good and flexible after close inspection, good for few more month of flying before next upgrade. Even the header got bit of kero tan, LOL.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:12 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Frost View Post
Wojtik, if you knew anything about turbines .....
Thank you for letting me learn from you 🙏
Old 07-20-2022, 02:43 PM
Boomerang1

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wojtek View Post
Thank you for letting me learn from you 🙏
Excellent self control, well done!