Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

repainting jet for better eye coordination/tracking

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

repainting jet for better eye coordination/tracking

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 04:45 PM
Knight4444

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repainting jet for better eye coordination/tracking

as title says, having a blast now that I've adopted jets into the arsenal. Issue I've had specifically with my eflite 80mm f16 is keeping orientation since top of airframe and bottom are so similar in that flat gray color. Open to other semi 'scale' looking paint jobs that might help me keep the top of the jet from the bottom. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:16 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Google Singapore Air Force Black Knights F-16

Red/white scheme may help.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:39 PM
dr.tom

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You must fly it really close to see the colours, some video would be great.

Maybe better to focus on where the model is going, where is the nose, tail, stick input,
and you will be able to fly it without focusing on some white stripe on belly, which you see in one turn but not another...and if you see it in another that means model is flipped?
and in high speed passes the moment I see colours its too late anyway I figure that would stress me out too much.

That is an EDF jet right?

Here's mine 1.8m jet in a vertical dive, I personally have no time to think how it is turned around judging by some colour stripes, it is turned as I pushed the sticks before that

Last edited by dr.tom; 05-06-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:16 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight4444
as title says, having a blast now that I've adopted jets into the arsenal. Issue I've had specifically with my eflite 80mm f16 is keeping orientation since top of airframe and bottom are so similar in that flat gray color. Open to other semi 'scale' looking paint jobs that might help me keep the top of the jet from the bottom. Thanks again.
The more colour contrast between the top and the bottom of the frame is the best solution for better orientation. I personally hate the "grey blob" monotony looking models no matter how scale it is.
It may look great as a static sitting duck for judges but still a grey blob in the sky especially on doomy and gloomy grey days.
Colour is my life, I always paint the belly in a simple light colours and use any scheme that pops in my head on the day on the top of the frame for a contrast, so even on the grey days I can easily see the difference.
I love using gold or silver leaf gild on some models, it really glows on sunny days.

Sliver gild on the top and basic off white on the belly for a contrast.

Gold leaf glow on the top and cream bottom.

Gold or Copper gild for a contrast alternative.

To make it stand out on sunny days.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:10 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

There’s a reason so many jets are offered trimmed in hi-vis orange “Navy” schemes. They just pop.
The following users liked this post:
Boomerang1 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 05:22 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.tom
You must fly it really close to see the colours, some video would be great.

Maybe better to focus on where the model is going, where is the nose, tail, stick input,
and you will be able to fly it without focusing on some white stripe on belly, which you see in one turn but not another...and if you see it in another that means model is flipped?
and in high speed passes the moment I see colours its too late anyway I figure that would stress me out too much.

That is an EDF jet right?
Uhhhh…I (and I am certain others) would fully yet respectfully disagree that one need ‘fly close to see colors’. That’s precisely why some colors/schemes are often preferred while others avoided- not only in RC, but in full scale as well.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:36 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I would not underestimate the value of positioning lights. I have several greyish military jets and on cloudy days they then bit more difficult to see. Have a good light set that is visible during the day is a huge plus and will not destroy the scale looks or paint.
Tone
Old 05-06-2022, 09:57 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

USAF Thunderbirds. That black bird on the bottom stands out.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:43 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default F-16 Colors

If you can't see this one yer blinder than a bat! You can do the stripes with strips of trim monokote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	122d_Fighter_WIng_General_Dynamics_F-16C_Block_25D_Fighting_Falcon_84-1264.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	2271769  
Old 05-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I just remember where I left it.....
Old 05-06-2022, 11:07 PM
Joseph Frost

These two really stands out even on grey day while moving like a missiles. The smaller, the faster they look.

Great colour scheme for visibility, with cream belly for a contrast.

Touch of gold for Euro, with off white belly.

This used to be a fully dark grey blob, now it really stands out even on grey day.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:28 AM
dr.tom

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by highhorse
Uhhhh…I (and I am certain others) would fully yet respectfully disagree that one need ‘fly close to see colors’.
did you see attached photo, taken from my flight 2 days ago, not some hear-say? it looks pretty much black, and you have time to look for details, in flight going 42 MPH WOT there is simply no time to analize colours for me,
just controll she sticks and fly the plane around

Old 05-07-2022, 01:12 AM
Joseph Frost

Cameras will never replace the eye sight vision. They always show a grey blob against the bright sky in some aspects of flight.

Mirage silueta.

Stands out in the sunlight.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:37 AM
Knight4444

Awesome ideas and replies guys. I think I'm gonna add invasion stripes to the airframe. Idk now If I just do it on the bottom or the top. I'm thinking not both though that would look most scale, but I'm over that. Time to see the sucker lol. Your guys thoughts
Old 05-08-2022, 11:38 AM
Knight4444

Awesome ideas and replies guys. I think I'm gonna add invasion stripes to the airframe. Idk now If I just do it on the bottom or the top. I'm thinking not both though that would look most scale, but I'm over that. Time to see the sucker lol. Your guys thoughts