Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What paint?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 09:07 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Also know and remember, if you messed up, you learned. Simply sand it off, and do it again. Eventually, you’ll become happy with your job.
The following users liked this post:
Auburn02 (08-18-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 10:15 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

Hullo,
I want to paint my little Wizard. It came from factory as white gel coat.
1. Do I need to prime it? White is the perfect color for the paint color I plan to spray 1st.
2. What grit sandpaper should I use before painting? 800grit?

Thank you,
Old 08-23-2022, 12:26 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Decide what paint system you want to use first. The sanding thing is not that big of a deal, I would stop at 400-600 grit on the base primer but I am sure there are others that might go higher. I would however make sure the primer coat is even.

Depending on what color you are using as a base coat, it might be lighter to paint the whole plane white first, or use a white primer (if it is the right looking "white", there are actually a ton of colors that most people would call white).

If the first/base color coat is red or yellow or something similar, it is better to apply over white, but in any case the plane must be overall the same tone. You cant have a blotchy undercoat as those colors cover so poorly. It will take a vast amount of red or yellow to cover a blotchy undercoat.

EDIT: I forgot you gel coat question. I had an arf recently and I carved about 2 pounds of gel coat off of it (horrible). I then primered in white. I would say if you can get the gel coat even and flattened to 400-600 I would paint right over the gel coat. Cant be blotchy though!

Last edited by mr_matt; 08-23-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:01 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

The gel coat and glass work is really nice. I currently have vinyl graphics covering it and it looks like white paint.
I'm going to block it out with 400, 600 & 800g and see how it looks.

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Decide what paint system you want to use first. The sanding thing is not that big of a deal, I would stop at 400-600 grit on the base primer but I am sure there are others that might go higher. I would however make sure the primer coat is even.

Depending on what color you are using as a base coat, it might be lighter to paint the whole plane white first, or use a white primer (if it is the right looking "white", there are actually a ton of colors that most people would call white).

If the first/base color coat is red or yellow or something similar, it is better to apply over white, but in any case the plane must be overall the same tone. You cant have a blotchy undercoat as those colors cover so poorly. It will take a vast amount of red or yellow to cover a blotchy undercoat.

EDIT: I forgot you gel coat question. I had an arf recently and I carved about 2 pounds of gel coat off of it (horrible). I then primered in white. I would say if you can get the gel coat even and flattened to 400-600 I would paint right over the gel coat. Cant be blotchy though!
Old 08-25-2022, 04:18 PM
Basspilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Auburn02
Shockingly few threads in this forum with the word paint in the title, so I’m guessing not many do their own painting. But for those of you who do still paint your own composite jets (or other planes), what is your paint of choice these days? PPG or some other automotive two part paint, Klass Kote, Warbird Colors, rattle cans, latex from Home Depot?
If your painting a scale jet Tamiya Acrylic is hard to beat. I also use Tailor Made paints which are Acrylic and Fuel Proof without clear. I always Use a Two part automotive clear over both brands. Prep is the most important part. Shopline brand primer is nice, easy to spray and dries fast. If you need examples I can send you some.

Cheers
Seth