Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetcat P160 hot starting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetcat P160 hot starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 05:17 PM
TCHIEF
My Feedback: (15)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jetcat P160 hot starting

Hello. I’ve got a temperamental Jetcat p160 it hot starts every time and cannot figure out what is causing it. Pulled motor apart to look for clogged injectors valves are not leaking changed parameters factory reset
After the initial start up it seems to idle fine and turns up wot I posted a video on Facebook Jetcat owners Rc u isn’t letting me post a video here
Old 10-03-2022, 07:10 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Is that a P-160RXI? Anyway, ... the main fuel valve may not be fully closing during previous shutdown. Are you closing the manual fuel shut off during refueling? Pre-RXIs sometimes occasionally had issues with the external main fuel valves too.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:18 PM
TCHIEF

No this is still on its first tank Probably 6starts no refueling I’ve tested the solenoids for leaks and none have been found
I believe it’s an se Ecu version 6.1
Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

If it’s an old SE with everything turned off connect an air pump to the valves and check they hold over 100psi. You can hear the solenoid click, but it does not mean the valve is operating inside.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave Wilshere:
patf (10-12-2022), Springbok Flyer (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:57 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
If it’s an old SE with everything turned off connect an air pump to the valves and check they hold over 100psi. You can hear the solenoid click, but it does not mean the valve is operating inside.
I have learned something today - thank you Dave.

JanR
Old 10-04-2022, 05:39 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe something here can help your problem

P-120sx excessive flame during start

Old 10-11-2022, 01:22 PM
TCHIEF

Default P160 finally figured it out

Update. Thanks for all the help. Turns out after trying different parameters it still wouldn’t cooperate if I got the flames down then it wouldn’t ramp up. Turns out it doesn’t like diesel I put some fresh jet a in it and after it started diluting in the header tank it started running right Now it’s starting with no flames there’s a video of a guy testing the difference between jet a and diesel His first run was jet a no flames a few flashes like mine is doing now but with diesel a lot more flames
Old 10-11-2022, 01:44 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

That's weird but glad you got it sorted
Old 10-11-2022, 03:02 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TCHIEF
Update. Thanks for all the help. Turns out after trying different parameters it still wouldn’t cooperate if I got the flames down then it wouldn’t ramp up. Turns out it doesn’t like diesel I put some fresh jet a in it and after it started diluting in the header tank it started running right Now it’s starting with no flames there’s a video of a guy testing the difference between jet a and diesel His first run was jet a no flames a few flashes like mine is doing now but with diesel a lot more flames
I think you'll find that Kerosene works on a JetCat even better than Jet-A and it does not stink anywhere nearly as bad as the Jet-A. For a long time JetCat said no to Diesel. After several years of getting heat from the retail consumers, they said "Okay" to Diesel. That only lasted for several years and then they went back to saying no diesel.

I gave several models to a friend as I need to get rid of them and he's a big Diesel guy. One had a JetCat P130RXi and it ran fine on Kerosene here at 2500' ASL but at his field elevation of 4500' ASL, it would start but not ramp up. Had the same issues with a JetCat P180RX; ran fine here at 2500' ASL on Kerosene but would not even start at 4500' ASL on Diesel. While he still needs to adjust the ramp curves, both engines started spooled up and ran well on Kerosene.

YMMV.....
Old 10-12-2022, 03:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Jet Cat reccomends Kero as the #1 choice, and Jet-A as the alternative.

They apparently do not recommend diesel. I just found this out yesterday.

I run kero, it probably should have occurred to me to give you some and try it the other day at the field.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:52 AM
TCHIEF

That would be great information to put in the manual Mine is an earlier version so it doesn’t say anything about diesel