Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Alm Meca Turbines

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Alm Meca Turbines

Old 12-02-2022, 12:48 PM
peter 098

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by highhorse
Educate yourself. Read the RCJI testing. Then re-read my post. You will see that I was neutral, perhaps even generous.

A tip in attempt to help you out: The “in development” stuff is no selling point, because what you have NOW is way behind the market. Even if the new ECU came out tomorrow, it’s still a first-effort, untested unit which will still be linked to a heavier engine than its competitors. Also, posting a pic lipos…is just…pointless, imo, as I doubt that anyone will care about the lipos.

You’d do well to stop this hard-sell nonsense until you get 1) the weight down, 2) the fuel flow down, 3) the thrust up, 4) the warranty fixed, 5) an ECU from this decade, and 6) some independent testing of the future engine that you hope to sell vs the units currently available.

We would all welcome a new manufacturer with competitive advantages to the marketplace, as that moves the hobby forward. Your current efforts however to gaslight an educated marketplace into accepting your as-yet under-developed engines as equals or even superior to competitors’ units are doing both you and ALM more harm than good.

Some free advice which I am 100% certain you’ll ignore: Stop, regroup, and come back when ALM has products with a true competitive advantage vs the gimmickry and obfuscation currently offered. Then take a much softer approach. Touting questionable “benefits” such as custom harnesses, colors, felt clunks, lipos etc comes across more as an inexperienced carnival barker than a serious and reliable Rep.

Look I’m done discussing with you, obviously like I said above your mind is set. Almost all the points you have made there is answer and I have posted answers to. The batteries I just posted to let people know they have their own brand products.

Not sure how I should educated myself? 1) I showed that you were incorrect on your weight and that this engine won’t weight 1.5pounds heavier than the x-180. 2). The fuel flow down? It’s already at a respectable rate so not sure what you mean on that one. 3)the thrust up? It makes the same power as all the other 180’s around. 4)How do you fix lifetime warranty? It’s already at lifetime, maybe two lifetimes would satisfy you? 5) Ecu is from this decade, obviously you have seen my latest post and I showed they came out with their own brand new ecu. 6)There is data out there I posted it.

At this point it shows you should educate yourself, like I stated you have your mind made up and you wouldn’t except this turbine ever. Please go buy yourself the X-180 and have fun, like I stated above I’m happy for you; enjoy it. But please stop making ignorant comments that just aren’t true. I’m kind of getting tired of it.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:38 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

If you’re done discussing this, then why are you discussing this? I suppose I need to once again correct your claims point by point:

1) Your claim that your 180 is “only” .7 lbs heavier is bad enough, even if it were true. However, your 180 as tested in RCJI (you know, RCJI, right? That’s the mag that ALM sent an engine to for review) is .9 lbs heavier. Nine tenths do a pound (!) more weight aft of the CG, should one install your turbine over the X-180, translates -as I shall explain once again- to even MORE compensation weight in the nose for most models, especially scale ones. As an experienced modeler yourself, you know this, right? In my upcoming Panther build your extra .9 lbs could easily wind up as an extra 1.5 lbs final dry weight.

2) The above dry numbers are even less palatable when one realizes that your unit burns 5% more fuel to make 5% less thrust. That’s not a massive difference but it is real measurable, verified, and sure isn’t a selling point for a newcomer to the market who’s hoping to gain market share from competitors.

3) NO your 180 does NOT make the same as “…all the others around”, and you can’t fool these readers into believing so just because you keep repeating it. Heck, it doesn’t even make the advertised 180N, and RANKS FIFTH among the eight 180’s tested (RCJI)

4) The flaw in your “lifetime warranty” has been discussed ad nauseam above. Don’t pretend now that you haven’t seen and even acknowledged that.

5) Your Xicoy ECU is an old one. NO, you did NOT state that a new ECU is available, nor does a photo of a naked circuit board qualify as the current and available unit. Quoting from your own post where you used FUTURE tense: “…this ecu will be made in France.”

6) What independent “data” of the new, lighter, more efficient engine with the new ECU is “out there”? What data are you referring to? The only independent data I am aware of is the quoted RCJI test for which your company supplied an engine to Colin for review. The current engine. The same one which weighs more while making less thrust than it’s modern competitors. Is there some other independent data to which you refer?

So logically speaking, why would anyone purchase a turbine from an unproven manufacturer when, among other things, that turbine makes less thrust while weighing more and burning more fuel than other available engines?

Given our differences in this thread, it’s certainly possible that one of us is making “ignorant comments that just aren’t true”. Given that one of us is a mere consumer, perusing the marketplace and independent data so as to make an informed decision in his next $ multi-thousand purchase and the other is trying to profit from sales of this new brand of turbines which he claims on his Facebook page to be “…
already by the specs this engine is way better then (sic) all the other(sic)

You do your credibility no good sir with statement like that. Here is a screen shot to refresh your memory

Then there’s this little gem of a wholly disproven claim

I don’t have access to your (private) Fb ALM page where you are the moderator and sole arbiter of truth, but I can only imagine that there are similar posts therein.

Last edited by highhorse; 12-02-2022 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:59 PM
peter 098

If you’re done discussing this, then why are you discussing this? I suppose I need to once again correct your claims point by point:

1) Your claim that your 180 is “only” .7 lbs heavier is bad enough, even if it were true. However, your 180 as tested in RCJI (you know, RCJI, right? That’s the mag that ALM sent an engine to for review) is .9 lbs heavier. Nine tenths do a pound (!) more weight aft of the CG, should one install your turbine over the X-180, translates -as I shall explain once again- to even MORE compensation weight in the nose for most models, especially scale ones. As an experienced modeler yourself, you know this, right? In my upcoming Panther build your extra .9 lbs could easily wind up as an extra 1.5 lbs final dry weight.

2) The above dry numbers are even less palatable when one realizes that your unit burns 5% more fuel to make 5% less thrust. That’s not a massive difference but it is real measurable, verified, and sure isn’t a selling point for a newcomer to the market who’s hoping to gain market share from competitors.

3) NO your 180 does NOT make the same as “…all the others around”, and you can’t fool these readers into believing so just because you keep repeating it. Heck, it doesn’t even make the advertised 180N, and RANKS FIFTH among the eight 180’s tested (RCJI)

4) The flaw in your “lifetime warranty” has been discussed ad nauseam above. Don’t pretend now that you haven’t seen and even acknowledged that.

5) Your Xicoy ECU is an old one. NO, you did NOT state that a new ECU is available, nor does a photo of a naked circuit board qualify as the current and available unit. Quoting from your own post where you used FUTURE tense: “…this ecu will be made in France.”

6) What independent “data” of the new, lighter, more efficient engine with the new ECU is “out there”? What data are you referring to? The only independent data I am aware of is the quoted RCJI test for which your company supplied an engine to Colin for review. The current engine. The same one which weighs more while making less thrust than it’s modern competitors. Is there some other independent data to which you refer?

So logically speaking, why would anyone purchase a turbine from an unproven manufacturer when, among other things, that turbine makes less thrust while weighing more and burning more fuel than other available engines?

Given our differences in this thread, it’s certainly possible that one of us is making “ignorant comments that just aren’t true”. Given that one of us is a mere consumer, perusing the marketplace and independent data so as to make an informed decision in his next $ multi-thousand purchase and the other is trying to profit from sales of this new brand of turbines which he claims on his Facebook page to be “…
already by the specs this engine is way better then (sic) all the other(sic)

You do your credibility no good sir with statement like that. Here is a screen shot to refresh your memory

Then there’s this little gem of a wholly disproven claim

I don’t have access to your (private) Fb ALM page where you are the moderator and sole arbiter of truth, but I can only imagine that there are similar posts therein.
It was at 2 seconds it has now been bumped up to 3.5. Like I said you have your mind set, the data sheets that I have provided show all performance the A-180 and A-210. Not hiding anything consumer sees what he is getting. Please learn what different numbers mean because you’re off, I guess A-180 putting out 18kg and X-180 putting 18kg is different power outputs. Guess you don’t know how to read either because I clearly stated that alm meca is coming out with their own new ecu. And again not sure how you could improve lifetime warranty? Or are you talking about service, man with your experience would know that those are two very different subjects. And the weight is still .7pounds heavier than the X-180 not sure how that could equate to 1.5 pounds heavier, you can’t just make up numbers like that. Here’s a tip put all your batteries into the nose section and that should eliminate most of your cg problems, instead of adding dead weight add functional weight, batteries are dual purpose, put into nose and helps airplane be in cg. I could say thatBy the way you know you have to send in your xicoy in every two years or 25 hours, which ever comes first right?

Maybe I am a young “kid” like you stated above but I do know how to count, and I do know how to read. From what I can tell on your part you do not posses either of these skills. But please go on, at least I’m not bored and I have something to think about.

Last edited by peter 098; 12-02-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:51 PM
highhorse

🤣🤣🤣
It (acceleration time) was at 2 seconds it has now been bumped up to 3.5
🤣🤣🤣 Well that seems a bit regressive, but if true then the claimed two-second accel time should be corrected on the Rep’s own Fb page, right? Because it would be unheard of to let misleading data stand uncorrected right? 🤣🤣🤣

ALM themselves sent a test unit to RCJI for review (the cost of subscription to RCJI is a bargain based on the test data alone, imo). Below is a portion of a table listing the 180’s independently tested by RCJI. They are listed in order, according to the thrust made during testing. Note please the far right column, wherein the ALM unit ranked 6th out of 8 tested. Note that the only two 180’s which the ALM unit outperformed in terms of thrust were tested 10-12 years ago. Note further please that a Kgf (the unit of thrust ALM prefers to use) is less than a Newton (long the standard for thrust), and while the ALM unit did make 180kgf thrust, it failed to make 180N. Whether the thrust is measured in Kgf, N, lbs, or any other unit, there is no denying that any statement proclaiming the ALM 180 to make the same thrust as “…all the others around” is, at best, an exaggeration.

Thrust is only one factor when evaluating a newcomer turbine though. So let’s look at some others…

The ALM story only gets worse when viewing columns further to the right than those displayed above , as those columns detail the weight, fuel flow, and other comparative data which clearly show the gaps ALM needs to close in order to be competitive. For example, when considering the installed weight of the engine with 5 mins of fuel (at full power), the ALM unit again ranked 6th of 8 units tested, and again, the only units bested by ALM were tested 9-10 years ago.

In all fairness to ALM, when one excludes inconvenient factors such as thrust, weight, fuel flows, vaporware ECU’s (rumored but as yet unseen and untested), the unknowns of customer support, parts, servicing etc…well at least the ALM units have some plastic parts…which are available in custom colors. So there’s that.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:35 PM
peter 098

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Well that seems a bit regressive, but if true then the claimed two-second accel time should be corrected on the Rep’s own Fb page, right? Because it would be unheard of to let misleading data stand uncorrected right? 🤣🤣🤣

ALM themselves sent a test unit to RCJI for review (the cost of subscription to RCJI is a bargain based on the test data alone, imo). Below is a portion of a table listing the 180’s independently tested by RCJI. They are listed in order, according to the thrust made during testing. Note please the far right column, wherein the ALM unit ranked 6th out of 8 tested. Note that the only two 180’s which the ALM unit outperformed in terms of thrust were tested 10-12 years ago. Note further please that a Kgf (the unit of thrust ALM prefers to use) is less than a Newton (long the standard for thrust), and while the ALM unit did make 180kgf thrust, it failed to make 180N. Whether the thrust is measured in Kgf, N, lbs, or any other unit, there is no denying that any statement proclaiming the ALM 180 to make the same thrust as “…all the others around” is, at best, an exaggeration.

Thrust is only one factor when evaluating a newcomer turbine though. So let’s look at some others…

The ALM story only gets worse when viewing columns further to the right than those displayed above , as those columns detail the weight, fuel flow, and other comparative data which clearly show the gaps ALM needs to close in order to be competitive. For example, when considering the installed weight of the engine with 5 mins of fuel (at full power), the ALM unit again ranked 6th of 8 units tested, and again, the only units bested by ALM were tested 9-10 years ago.

In all fairness to ALM, when one excludes inconvenient factors such as thrust, weight, fuel flows, vaporware ECU’s (rumored but as yet unseen and untested), the unknowns of customer support, parts, servicing etc…well at least the ALM units have some plastic parts…which are available in custom colors. So there’s that.

Thank you for your comment. The comment of acceleration has always been true, that comment has been revised long ago. No where on here have I claimed that currently the engine is a 2 sec.

Although having custom colors that you can pick from it actually has some other very cool features that you forgot to mention; custom wiring harness, heavy duty bracket that no other company provides, will withstand 50 hours, has lifetime warranty, in house made ecu/fuel pumps, ecu/fuel pump all in one in a small compact size, priced at pretty much the market price, no uat required and is backed by the company if you follow the rules, on serivce side there is a week and a half turn around time, very quick response time to email and phone calls, USA based support with future plans of serivce; I have had personal experience with other large companies some of which are on the list you provided who don’t answer phone calls or emails so that’s pretty discouraging.

Fuel consumption wise, currently my timer is set at 7 minutes on my Baja hobbies shark jet. The fuel tank is 3.1l and I usually land with enough to have a go around or two if needed. This is plenty in my mind and I fly full range of power it’s not like I fly at quarter power the entire flight. This jet has a relatively small fuel tank considering my ultra flash evo has a 3.5l tank and I think my odyssey is around 3.7l or something like that.

Last edited by peter 098; 12-03-2022 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sysiek (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 01:24 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter 098 I applaud you for bringing a new product to the market, a brave move which most of us are not prepared to take on.
You may as well totally ignore Highhorse as nothing you say is ever going to satisfy this keyboard warrior who has clearly decided to give you a hard time.
I wish you luck with this venture.
The following 6 users liked this post by rfbenn:
David Gladwin (12-04-2022), peter 098 (12-04-2022), Ron S (12-20-2022), sysiek (12-04-2022), The Bush (12-04-2022), u2fast (12-04-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-04-2022, 02:44 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Hear, hear to that.
Time he got off his highhorse and got back in his box. We do not need highhorse’s endless negative comments, the engine is fully detailed in RCJI as is the Xicoy 180, all accurate and objective. Prospective purchasers will compare the two, ( and others) make their own decision, the market, and only the market, will decide the success or otherwise of this engine.

The following 4 users liked this post by David Gladwin:
peter 098 (12-04-2022), sysiek (12-04-2022), The Bush (12-04-2022), u2fast (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 09:24 AM
peter 098

Thank you guys for the pleasant comments. I really appreciate it! And I agree with your comments.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:40 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Too funny…….
Old 12-04-2022, 06:28 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

This is much better than watching general hospital
Old 12-16-2022, 09:52 AM
ALM-MECA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALM-Méca introduction

Hello Guy’s !

Let me introduce myself, my name is Laurent SCHAAL, 51 years old, owner and manager by ALM-Méca, and now the new French Turbines manufacture ! 45 years of experience in aeromodelling and 20 years in turbines have allowed me to reach this stage ! My design philosophy was simple, back to simplicity and efficiency !

First of all I would like to thank you Peter for his support, investment to introduce and improve our new product on the market in U$!

ALM-Méca is an innovative machining company with a reputation in many industries (Valves, transmission, hydraulic, mining, forging, machining sectors, etc…). Our expertise in precision mechanics is supported by our high-tech machinery. We manufacture customised mechanical parts and plans for well-oiled orders. To see our capacity and capability, I invit you to visit our new website : www.alm-meca.com

ALM Méca always aims for excellence. My predilection and passion for aeronautics encourage me to push us to our limits. With boldness and passion, ALM-Méca designs turbines machined from mass-produced parts that have never been seen before in France.

We are focusing now and introducing our new 18 and 21kgs thrust turbine which are well-criticized ! But are the « reviews » generally positive ? Unfortunately many people talk about turbines without knowing what's inside but just repeating "we told me, we say...”, that's why I'm here today, and for having used a large number of turbines from all of my competitors today I can say I know what I'm talking about! ALM-Méca became (like it or not), the FIRST micro-turbine manufacturer in France and will compete worldwide.

Just for the record and information, the inventor of these machines is French !

You can never please everyone, but one thing is sure, difficult to buy a "Ferrari at the price of a 2CV".

I could say so much about the turbines on the market but that is not my goal and I’m not like some, let yourself be surprised by the quality of our products and their performance.

ALM-Méca is new in the market and she will do the difference and step by step earn business for sure.

However woHoe are not looking for money, but just introduce Turbines with real power, relability and efficiency !

Let’s get into the « subject » what is our difference ???

- All parts are fulled machined from full material (no press piece, no welding construction, etc..)

- Special housing with full machined brackets, very strong mounting, which could be upgraded without end (not a mounting flange more than 20 years old… !)

- Special housing with special bracket for Glider

- Tunnel is made of steel and not aluminium, which is more stronger but a little bit heavier, that’s why, we balanced with 3D printing prototype parts to save weight.

- Combustion chamber is made of inconel 0.5 thick and completely manually welded to guarantee quality

- We are the only one who lock the compressor and the turbine wheel, this guarantess stability over time

- We have intergrated German ceramic ball bearings which resist up to 550°c

- You can customize your turbine (color, length wire, etc)

- No UAT necessary

- Less comsumption

- Less residual thrust

- Maintenance cost is fix

- Lifetime warranty

- ECU Box

- The Stick can be changed in 3 minutes, not necessary to disassemble and new balancing the turbine

- Only 3 O-rings necessary to seal the entire turbine !

Next step :

- Online shop, usually next week on line !

- 3D Design will be updated

- Full alu Turbine will be available Q1/2023

- 10/12 and 35/40kg thrust turbines are already in the pipe Q3/Q4-2023

- Our OWN brand FRENCH new ECU is ALREADY in development and test and will be available Q2/2023.

- Telemetry JETI / PB available Q3-Q4/2023

- ECU box new 3D version and full alu machined

I will thank you for your time, your trust and hope to see you soon in this new community the « French Touch » !

I remain at your disposal and of course Peter for any further question you may need or request.

In the meantime, I wish you and your family a happy Christmas time !
Stay healthy !
Kind regards from France !
Laurent SCHAAL

Old 12-16-2022, 12:03 PM
highhorse

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Hear, hear to that.
Time he got off his highhorse and got back in his box. We do not need highhorse’s endless negative comments, the engine is fully detailed in RCJI as is the Xicoy 180, all accurate and objective. Prospective purchasers will compare the two, ( and others) make their own decision, the market, and only the market, will decide the success or otherwise of this engine.
David, OF COURSE it is all about the market and ONLY about the market. No one outside of communist party leaderships is opposed to the next great new thing, HONESTLY presented in a competitive and free marketplace. Least or all me. Innovative competition is the absolute life blood of a free market of course, and benefits our hobby greatly. That is beyond dispute.

ACCURATE information is the key lubricant to free marketplaces however, while false or even simply misleading claims are sand in those gears. If the OP had presented his wares in a more straight forward and factual manner, without repeated misinformation, obfuscation and/or having outright ignored questions he didn’t want to answer then this would have been a yawner, single-page thread. Sadly for the OP and especially the manufacturer which has invested substantial time, effort and funds into an attempt t enter a competitive marketplace, that was not the case.

You seem to have 1) ignored or missed entirely the nonsense presented by the OP and 2) assumed that everyone -or even most- subscribe to the magazine you write for (RCJI) and therefore have access to the objective information you refer to above, as presented by Colin Strauss (his column on its own makes the price of subscription a bargain) which squarely, clearly, and objectively dispels several false claims made by the OP while placing his new offering -contrary to his claims- among the ranks of much older units. Without my having presented and properly credited Colin’s objective information here (you’re welcome) then the absurd, false claims made by the OP here and elsewhere (FB) would be largely out of context and perhaps sway unwary consumers. You did nothing to present the objective RCJI information to which you refer here in this thread and for the benefit of the marketplace, but I did. Again, you’re welcome.

The “negative” comments and facts presented in this thread by myself (and others) have had only one purpose: Shed proper light upon and counter an attempt to foist wares upon the hobby through what has been largely false and/or incomplete information, the likes of which are antithetical to the very marketplace referred to in your post. If such efforts offend you, so be it. You will perhaps enjoy being further offended by my next post.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:31 PM
ALM-MECA

Sorry, I don’t know what is going on…!

Old 12-16-2022, 01:42 PM
highhorse

Originally Posted by ALM-MECA
Hello Guy’s !

Let me introduce myself, my name is Laurent SCHAAL, 51 years old, owner and manager by ALM-Méca, and now the new French Turbines manufacture ! 45 years of experience in aeromodelling and 20 years in turbines have allowed me to reach this stage ! My design philosophy was simple, back to simplicity and efficiency !

First of all I would like to thank you Peter for his support, investment to introduce and improve our new product on the market in U$!

ALM-Méca is an innovative machining company with a reputation in many industries (Valves, transmission, hydraulic, mining, forging, machining sectors, etc…). Our expertise in precision mechanics is supported by our high-tech machinery. We manufacture customised mechanical parts and plans for well-oiled orders. To see our capacity and capability, I invit you to visit our new website : www.alm-meca.com

ALM Méca always aims for excellence. My predilection and passion for aeronautics encourage me to push us to our limits. With boldness and passion, ALM-Méca designs turbines machined from mass-produced parts that have never been seen before in France.

We are focusing now and introducing our new 18 and 21kgs thrust turbine which are well-criticized ! But are the « reviews » generally positive ? Unfortunately many people talk about turbines without knowing what's inside but just repeating "we told me, we say...”, that's why I'm here today, and for having used a large number of turbines from all of my competitors today I can say I know what I'm talking about! ALM-Méca became (like it or not), the FIRST micro-turbine manufacturer in France and will compete worldwide.

Just for the record and information, the inventor of these machines is French !

You can never please everyone, but one thing is sure, difficult to buy a "Ferrari at the price of a 2CV".

I could say so much about the turbines on the market but that is not my goal and I’m not like some, let yourself be surprised by the quality of our products and their performance.

ALM-Méca is new in the market and she will do the difference and step by step earn business for sure.

However woHoe are not looking for money, but just introduce Turbines with real power, relability and efficiency !

Let’s get into the « subject » what is our difference ???

- All parts are fulled machined from full material (no press piece, no welding construction, etc..)

- Special housing with full machined brackets, very strong mounting, which could be upgraded without end (not a mounting flange more than 20 years old… !)

- Special housing with special bracket for Glider

- Tunnel is made of steel and not aluminium, which is more stronger but a little bit heavier, that’s why, we balanced with 3D printing prototype parts to save weight.

- Combustion chamber is made of inconel 0.5 thick and completely manually welded to guarantee quality

- We are the only one who lock the compressor and the turbine wheel, this guarantess stability over time

- We have intergrated German ceramic ball bearings which resist up to 550°c

- You can customize your turbine (color, length wire, etc)

- No UAT necessary

- Less comsumption

- Less residual thrust

- Maintenance cost is fix

- Lifetime warranty

- ECU Box

- The Stick can be changed in 3 minutes, not necessary to disassemble and new balancing the turbine

- Only 3 O-rings necessary to seal the entire turbine !

Next step :

- Online shop, usually next week on line !

- 3D Design will be updated

- Full alu Turbine will be available Q1/2023

- 10/12 and 35/40kg thrust turbines are already in the pipe Q3/Q4-2023

- Our OWN brand FRENCH new ECU is ALREADY in development and test and will be available Q2/2023.

- Telemetry JETI / PB available Q3-Q4/2023

- ECU box new 3D version and full alu machined

I will thank you for your time, your trust and hope to see you soon in this new community the « French Touch » !

I remain at your disposal and of course Peter for any further question you may need or request.

In the meantime, I wish you and your family a happy Christmas time !
Stay healthy !
Kind regards from France !
Laurent SCHAAL
Hello Laurent, my sincere thanks for joining the conversation. It is my hope sir that you might bring some straight forward clarity.

Because competition only benefits our hobby when innovations beget further innovations, I would like to ask for further information regarding a couple of advertising point made by your USA Rep and/or yourself.

The first point is that no UAT is required *with use of a proper felt clunk*

As a long-time hobbyist yourself, you are undoubtedly aware that our fellow hobbyists, while flying a variety of engines, have reported for at least 15 years a lack of need for UAT when using felt and/or pleated filter clunks.

In spite of those reported experiences, your competitors’ engines (which are typically thought of as reliable and/or at the leading edge of the hobby’s technological standards) do not (to the extent that I am aware, at least, I could be wrong) make such a claim.

Therefore, if your new offering incorporates/includes either a unique and innovative felt clunk unavailable elsewhere and/or a unique and innovative engine technology which other manufacturers do not use, you could, in turn have a substantive competitive edge via a legitimate claim to a level of safety or reliability which others do not or can not match.

Based upon your advertising point which seemingly seeks to differentiate your engines from your competition, an informed marketplace thus begs the question as to whether your engines do in fact incorporate either unique felt clunks and/or some internal innovation unique to your brand? If such is the case then please to share to the maximum extent possible the nature of the innovation(s) alluded to. I assume that a proprietary internal innovation of such genuine benefit would undoubtedly already be patented (or at least patent-pending) by this point, yes?

Regrettably, no mention of any such innovation was apparently provided to Colin Strauss when he tested the engine your provided for his comprehensive review in RCJI, so please view my query as an opportunity to remedy a missed opportunity and set the record straight.

Additionally, your USA Rep has previously made the astonishing (and market-leading, by a wide margin) claim of a two-second acceleration time, which in fact is less than than half of the acceleration time recorded for the engine you provided to Colin and RCJI. When that discrepancy was highlighted in this thread, it was then belatedly claimed by your USA Rep that the original two-second time was correct when originally stated but that ALM-M had later slowed the acceleration time to a newly claimed 3.5 second time.

Because acceleration times are such an important advertising point and heavily weighted component when making such a turbine purchase, I have several questions on this topic please:

1) Did ALM-M deliberately increase an astonishing and market-leading acceleration time by 75% from 2 seconds to 3.5 seconds?
2) If so, why?
3) Is the USA Rep’s newly claimed 3.5 acceleration time accurate?
4) If so, why the disparity between that manufacturer spec vs the spec as tested?

Thank you for your clarifications sir.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:24 AM
ALM-MECA

Hello Laurent, my sincere thanks for joining the conversation. It is my hope sir that you might bring some straight forward clarity.

Because competition only benefits our hobby when innovations beget further innovations, I would like to ask for further information regarding a couple of advertising point made by your USA Rep and/or yourself.

The first point is that no UAT is required *with use of a proper felt clunk*

As a long-time hobbyist yourself, you are undoubtedly aware that our fellow hobbyists, while flying a variety of engines, have reported for at least 15 years a lack of need for UAT when using felt and/or pleated filter clunks.

In spite of those reported experiences, your competitors’ engines (which are typically thought of as reliable and/or at the leading edge of the hobby’s technological standards) do not (to the extent that I am aware, at least, I could be wrong) make such a claim.

Therefore, if your new offering incorporates/includes either a unique and innovative felt clunk unavailable elsewhere and/or a unique and innovative engine technology which other manufacturers do not use, you could, in turn have a substantive competitive edge via a legitimate claim to a level of safety or reliability which others do not or can not match.

Based upon your advertising point which seemingly seeks to differentiate your engines from your competition, an informed marketplace thus begs the question as to whether your engines do in fact incorporate either unique felt clunks and/or some internal innovation unique to your brand? If such is the case then please to share to the maximum extent possible the nature of the innovation(s) alluded to. I assume that a proprietary internal innovation of such genuine benefit would undoubtedly already be patented (or at least patent-pending) by this point, yes?

Regrettably, no mention of any such innovation was apparently provided to Colin Strauss when he tested the engine your provided for his comprehensive review in RCJI, so please view my query as an opportunity to remedy a missed opportunity and set the record straight.

Additionally, your USA Rep has previously made the astonishing (and market-leading, by a wide margin) claim of a two-second acceleration time, which in fact is less than than half of the acceleration time recorded for the engine you provided to Colin and RCJI. When that discrepancy was highlighted in this thread, it was then belatedly claimed by your USA Rep that the original two-second time was correct when originally stated but that ALM-M had later slowed the acceleration time to a newly claimed 3.5 second time.

Because acceleration times are such an important advertising point and heavily weighted component when making such a turbine purchase, I have several questions on this topic please:

1) Did ALM-M deliberately increase an astonishing and market-leading acceleration time by 75% from 2 seconds to 3.5 seconds?
2) If so, why?
3) Is the USA Rep’s newly claimed 3.5 acceleration time accurate?
4) If so, why the disparity between that manufacturer spec vs the spec as tested?

Thank you for your clarifications sir.
Dear Highhorse,
Sorry for the late reply, below some clarifications (I hope so) as you requested:
Regarding acceleration time, yes our turbine is very reactive... but, because we have to be careful, ALL parameters and caracteristics are depending on a lot of factors, like valves, pump, petrol / kero, weather, tubes length etc...and for our turbine which uses Xicoy ECU-v10 you can also choose several modes like Full-Expo, half expo or Linear, what I prefer... RCJI received one of our first turbine (proto) and prefered full-expo which is (my point of view) slowly than linear. Linear is more aggressive, like an electric motor. As you have seen on Peter Video and his comments, the turbine is running well and reactive also !
Depending on all of those factors as described, I prefer to say accelaration time is between 2 and 3.5s depending on, and again to stay objective and to be able compare exactly pce to pce, the best thing will be to test all of turbines in the same time with exactly the same conditions ! We can measure sometimes +/-1 kg trust difference from the morning and the afternoon..., by some competitors we had some surprise. That's why I would like to make our test bench available to our "futur" customers (to open their eyes) in the factory or during meetings for comparisons their turbines with our turbines.
My point of view, the accelaration time is not the most important thing, that's marketing point !... but "the torque at low rotation" is more important what we have found with our combination compressor / turbine wheel.
Usually competitors are using bigger compressor wheel (to reach the trust by full RPM of course) and when you accelerate very fast, the torque is more important and it's not easy to manage mechanically...which need also a little bit more acceleration time and that's why you have also more residual thrust..., what we don't have... we've made some test with the A-180 on Perkoz 6.3m glider from Paritech, you can land without any problem with the turbine running...
I can not tell you why it's not necessary to use UAT with our turbine (but you will save money, weight, installation time, sealing problem over time,etc...), but the only thing I can tell you, if you follow exactly my assembly recommendations, you won't need it ! You can however use UAT, but not necessary..., people who had some problem with our turbine, had used UAT and didn't respect my recommendations. That's why we develop also our ECU Box... to secure our system and facilitate the installation, but you have to respect some parameters...
Only thing I can suggest you Highhorse ! test one and you will see...! Welcome to the "French Touch" community !
Have a nice day,
Kind regards,
Laurent
The following users liked this post:
Halcyon66 (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 02:59 PM
Dansy

V10 ecu is ancient…..I guess it’s good if you like old stuff, with old GSU…..me I like the modern engines….they are much better….good luck
Old 12-18-2022, 10:08 PM
ALM-MECA

Default ALM-Méca ECU

Originally Posted by Dansy
V10 ecu is ancient…..I guess it’s good if you like old stuff, with old GSU…..me I like the modern engines….they are much better….good luck
Dear Dansy,
Thanks for your message, just to avoid misunderstanding, V10 ECU will be not our future..., and some manufactures used it when they started their production. V10 is based on FADEC system (French) and there was no electronic revolution between all versions, only new stickers and smal updating... however if you read my last post we are testing our OWN and brand new ECU (which will be produced also in France), does that means in the near future you will buy one of our modern Turbine !?
Have a good day and welcome to the "French Touch" community !
Kind regards from France,
Laurent

Old 12-19-2022, 04:10 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by ALM-MECA
Dear Dansy,
Thanks for your message, just to avoid misunderstanding, V10 ECU will be not our future..., and some manufactures used it when they started their production. V10 is based on FADEC system (French) and there was no electronic revolution between all versions, only new stickers and smal updating... however if you read my last post we are testing our OWN and brand new ECU (which will be produced also in France), does that means in the near future you will buy one of our modern Turbine !?
Have a good day and welcome to the "French Touch" community !
Kind regards from France,
Laurent
No I only buy modern engine….I can do 3D printing for a lot cheaper in house

And your explanation make no sense….you purchased these Xicoy V10 from Spain like 3-4 years ago…..and I believe the engine design is from 2009 or so and was freely publish

But you make it sound like you invented something…. pretty funny….I wish you good luck, but you can’t fool everyone with some of these claims. Your talking to a really small segment of RC Flying…

Last edited by Dansy; 12-19-2022 at 04:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dansy:
CRX Turbines (01-28-2023), Skunkwrks (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 04:18 AM
ALM-MECA

Not a problem Daniel...! I wish you good flight and Happy Christmas time !
Old 01-06-2023, 11:13 PM
peter 098

Hey guys, how’s it going? Hope you all enjoyed the holidays. Got some updates and wanted to post them; testing on new ecu has been a success, start up time has cut 30sec off and everything works as it should without any issues. also some new nicer material is being used on front cover and starter motor housing. Some videos should be coming soon and I will be posting. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2023, 02:52 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by peter 098
hey guys, how’s it going? Hope you all enjoyed the holidays. Got some updates and wanted to post them; testing on new ecu has been a success, start up time has cut 30sec off and everything works as it should without any issues. Also some new nicer material is being used on front cover and starter motor housing. Some videos should be coming soon and i will be posting. Thanks!

wow 😵🤯
Old 01-26-2023, 05:00 AM
peter 098

Good morning everyone, received some news from France. Here you go: Hello Guys,

Some news from ALM-Méca / France with his new look !

Our Shop will be online from the 27th of January 2023 !

Worldwide shipping for free for all new orders within March 2023 !

Our brand new French ECU is running well, video will be posted ASAP !

Peter MACHACEK remain at your disposal for US for any further question you may need or request ! »

The basic product will be the full black, however customization could be possible also… example in attachment.

As you have seen, the new design of the ECU BOX in 3D print, quality is much better… !

If you want to add. sentences not a problem, but let me know when you will post it.

Thanks in advance for your support and quick reply,

Kind regards,

Laurent

Old 01-28-2023, 10:16 AM
peter 098

Hello everyone, just wanted to let everyone know that the new website is up and running able to order direct from the website. Even have some cool accessories that are made in house. Hope you enjoy here’s the link:
https://alm-meca.com/achats-turbines/
Old 04-03-2023, 01:00 PM
peter 098

Hey everyone, just wanted to post this video from youtube of a video of the alm meca A-180 from Omri Ifrah. Hope you enjoy!
Old 06-01-2023, 11:09 AM
peter 098

Hello everyone, hope you all are enjoying the summer. Wanted to make a post as I have finally built another shark jet for the alm meca A-180. Unfortunately I had a radio malfunction last year at Kentucky jets. Anyways I have some exciting news that an A-120 is in the works. Not sure when it’ll be out but first has been made and testing is underway. Here are some pictures and a video of the first run of my a-180 after being installed in my new model also the new aluminum ecu/fuel pump box. Will have the jet at the jet meet in Baldwin Michigan next week starting Wednesday. Hope you enjoy

Also here’s a video of the first run of the turbine out of the box.