Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FeiBao F-15c 1/7 Single or Twin???

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FeiBao F-15c 1/7 Single or Twin???

Old 01-23-2023, 01:56 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FeiBao F-15c 1/7 Single or Twin???

My next project is a FeiBao 1/7scale F-15C and I wanted to get some opinions on whether a single or twin setup is better for this aircraft in terms of wing loading and flight performance? And if single or twin setup, what size turbines do you recommend? I like the simplicity of a single turbine, but the redundancy of a twin. I have both several single and twin jets and am very comfortable operating both configurations. Does FB 1/7 F-15 have a sweet spot for total weight as far as landings? I've seen some beautiful landings with this aircraft and others that made it look like a handful. Was this due to total installation weight?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-24-2023, 05:40 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HotelSierra View Post
My next project is a FeiBao 1/7scale F-15C and I wanted to get some opinions on whether a single or twin setup is better for this aircraft in terms of wing loading and flight performance? And if single or twin setup, what size turbines do you recommend? I like the simplicity of a single turbine, but the redundancy of a twin. I have both several single and twin jets and am very comfortable operating both configurations. Does FB 1/7 F-15 have a sweet spot for total weight as far as landings? I've seen some beautiful landings with this aircraft and others that made it look like a handful. Was this due to total installation weight?

Thanks guys!!!
I have flown mine on Olympus and think it is a great way to go. I also have flown several twins and really dont fell the need to complicate with two engines and fuel systems. Good luck with your project!!
The following users liked this post:
u2fast (01-28-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

as a scale purist, twins in real life deserve to be twins in modeling.

this will not be a well received position, but it is my position.
The following users liked this post:
SkyKnight (01-25-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 04:45 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can’t directly answer your question about the FB F15 ( A mate did have one as a twin and it flew great) without sounding like im going into a generic single vs twin debate.
Given that a single engines of the thrust you’d need are so light these days- Two 200N engines weigh 3kg whereas what would a 300N engine weight? 2.5 ish??
Any weight saving from a single larger engine probably isn’t distinguishable after a 1minute of fuel burn. I doubt you’d notice it on landing. I’m guessing you’d burn that amount of fuel in a couple of circuits.
If you had to go around, would you really notice the ac being lighter after a cct to land?
Id go for a twin, but its always fun suggesting ways for other people to spend their money.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:13 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Unlike a lot of the others who may chime In, I acutually own and have been flying mine for over a year now, Mine is the E model and was built for a single, if I bought a new one I would do a single again no hesitation, I have a SWIWIN 300 from Bad Boyz RC in mine , would plan on needing an LTMA as I did on this jet, mine weighs almost 68lbs full of fuel, my engine put out 71 lbs, and, everyone who has seen mine will attest to how powerful it is. I can get mine off the runway in about 100 feet if I pull on it, get the gear up build a little speed and pull straight up until its out of sight if I want. I went with a single for a bunch of reasons, I love the way a large single sounds going though a split pipe, Ease of maintenance and service, of course it is also less cost, and less moving parts means less things to worry about happening, also there is the ease of install. The Only Benefit of twins, is If you lose one your Odds of being able to get her back down safe are much better as you will still have power. I have had to deadstick mine, One Time, last year, not the engine, My SPektrum telemetry showed 4 HOLDS, engine shutdown via RC as failsafe should, once I got my signal back I was able to get it back down on the runway with Zero Damage, and now I have converted over to Jeti. The 15 is a very forgiving jet with No bad habits, and the flat bottom helps keep it flying. The truth is its Up to you, its what you wanna spend and what you wanna build. There a few things to look out for on this plane, not sure if they addressed it on the newer versions, Mine is older, had a hard life from previous owner, I put alot of work in it repairing modifying and completely stripping and re-painting, but it was so worth it. If anything ever happened I would replace it Immediately, I love mine, and you will too. Here is a vid a buddy took of taking off, you can hear the howl, I did however have a custom pipe made. I would not Trust the Fei Bao pipe behind a 300.

and a landing, took a few flights to figure out the plane will actually land very slow, I’m actually landing too fast in this video,,

Last edited by raron455; 01-30-2023 at 12:58 AM.