Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What radio are you using and why?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What radio are you using and why?

Old 02-06-2023, 06:39 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
I am very suspicious of system upgrades. And I'm not a fan of touch screens.
If your radio system is working perfectly and reliability:
1. Why upgrade? The system works as you need.
2. What are the risks of the upgrade? Did the manufacturer test it in every possible combination of set ups, or are they counting on you to be the Beta tester?

I'm a Jeti user and I don't run the latest firmware. I tried it and didn't like it and went back to the version before. Jeti has had many upgrades over the years, but the pace of them issuing upgrades has slowed to a crawl. Most upgrades seem to be for receivers, with the Assist series getting the most changes. Once you get it right, there is no need to change.
PowerBox looks like an awesome, very well made system and it may become the top radio system in the future, if they continue to develop it. But, many upgrades will be issued along the way.
Funny, are you not describing what you’re actually seeing with Jeti and the current software? “Upgrade” or “Update” there’s a difference. Update you’re updating your already installed system with potential programming bug fixes, or refinements. “Upgrade” you’re adding new functionality or features. So as you’re saying once you get it right, you see less and less upgrades and now only seeing updates adding new firmware for new devices…. That’s what is going on with Jeti. With the DC24 Gen II it looks like it’s all new programming, looking forward to seeing the DS24 Gen II, will finally be time to upgrade my DS16 G1.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:25 AM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Just depends on what you want, I havent found anything my 18MZ or 32MZ cannot do for me. If the gadgets are what you need and or a backup signal then you have plenty of options. If want telemetry to the max plenty of of that as well, just about every radio out there will do everything you like.
I would recommend checking out what ever radio you like before buying, plenty to be said online and most are opinions.
The following 2 users liked this post by FenderBean:
Ken Bryant (02-18-2023), modtron (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:21 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
Funny, are you not describing what you’re actually seeing with Jeti and the current software? “Upgrade” or “Update” there’s a difference. Update you’re updating your already installed system with potential programming bug fixes, or refinements. “Upgrade” you’re adding new functionality or features. So as you’re saying once you get it right, you see less and less upgrades and now only seeing updates adding new firmware for new devices…. That’s what is going on with Jeti. With the DC24 Gen II it looks like it’s all new programming, looking forward to seeing the DS24 Gen II, will finally be time to upgrade my DS16 G1.
Yes, I sloppy used the terms 'update' and 'upgrade'.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:25 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow so no spektrum users here? I have had great luck, but havent flown jets with them yet
Old 02-06-2023, 10:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by DMehalko
Wow so no spektrum users here? I have had great luck, but havent flown jets with them yet
I flew Spektrum for years with no issues including turbine jets and large helis on my DX20 and DX18 before that until I switched to Powerbox radios.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:17 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by DMehalko
The guys using spektrum at the jet events I’ve been to can be counted on one hand.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:57 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Over the net upgrades for extra features downloaded from the manufacturer?

Sounds like the thin end of the wedge for 'subscription services' creepinng into modelling. Gear door mixing? Easy, all yours for just $9.95 per month! Ask any new Tesla, BMW or Audi owner how it all works .......
Old 02-06-2023, 11:58 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeti runs LUA.

Last edited by ledd4u; 02-06-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:20 PM
jvaliensi

The guys using spektrum at the jet events I’ve been to can be counted on one hand.
I know multiple folks using Spektrum for their turbines. They are in no hurry to switch to Jeti or any other system. They fly some impressive jets and do their due diligence.

I've seen more models crashed with Spektrum compare to any other brand, but here is the thing:
1. Its the most used system where I fly (by a factor of 10 or more)
2. A lot of folks are not sophisticated users
3. Many have bad receivers and bad setups

The jet guys don't generally fall into the above categories (but not always!)
The following users liked this post:
Ken Bryant (02-18-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 01:43 PM
camss69

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
Over the net upgrades for extra features downloaded from the manufacturer?

Sounds like the thin end of the wedge for 'subscription services' creepinng into modelling. Gear door mixing? Easy, all yours for just $9.95 per month! Ask any new Tesla, BMW or Audi owner how it all works .......
Yeah except the software and firmware updates are free. The paying for additional features on the radio was introduced with the DS12 and is a one time purchase. According to them to keep the cost down if you don’t want or need all that it’s capable of.

Last edited by camss69; 02-06-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:15 PM
jvaliensi

Yeah except the software and firmware updates are free. The paying for additional features on the radio was introduced with the DS12 and is a one time purchase. According to them to keep the cost down if you don’t want or need all that it’s capable of.
Sorry, the DS-14 had a la carte 1st. Buy what you need and leave and save a few bucks.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:14 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I am very suspicious of system upgrades. And I'm not a fan of touch screens.
If your radio system is working perfectly and reliability:
1. Why upgrade? The system works as you need.
2. What are the risks of the upgrade? Did the manufacturer test it in every possible combination of set ups, or are they counting on you to be the Beta tester?

I'm a Jeti user and I don't run the latest firmware. I tried it and didn't like it and went back to the version before. Jeti has had many upgrades over the years, but the pace of them issuing upgrades has slowed to a crawl. Most upgrades seem to be for receivers, with the Assist series getting the most changes. Once you get it right, there is no need to change.
PowerBox looks like an awesome, very well made system and it may become the top radio system in the future, if they continue to develop it. But, many upgrades will be issued along the way.
Wow, Jeti has had maybe 1 firmware that needed to be modified a few days later….and that was at the beginning like 2013/14, they have been very good at releasing good firmware…as a mature system they don’t release as many as before, I mean you got fix wing, helicopter, drone, and just a TX for what ever like boats or whatever….and they been working on their next edition…the other is most of the improvement especially at the beginning we’re coming from users….unlike all the other manufacturers

The only drawback with Jeti which is also very good for most, is they have been upgrading the firmware, while still having the older device and receiver compatible….that sort of limit expansion. And that’s except for the 900 and 900NG.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:20 PM
camss69

Sorry, the DS-14 had a la carte 1st. Buy what you need and leave and save a few bucks.
Ahh that was before I switched then..
Old 02-06-2023, 06:39 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Talking

So, yes, this is my new Capric Blue DS 24, which replaces my DS16 1 gen if been using for eight years without issue.

Been going through it, and there's a lot more features in each area to improve or fine-tune your jet or multiply-engine warbird, either jet or prop.
Jeti has really set up and elevated the system so much that I find it more enjoyable who aren't that computer savvy.
The best and I mean the best support without question in the R/C world, heads and shoulders above the competition.

Ken Bryant (02-18-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:12 PM
CostasV

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
Explain to me where Jeti have been left behind…..
Their telemetry implementation & protocol while working fine could be considered a little dated compared to some others.

PowerBox, (obviously using a whole new platform not requiring backwards compatability) can handle 240 sensors all on the same bus (all individually addressable) and the bus can handle 800 (16 bit) telemetry values per second.

This capability opens the door to realtime telemetry control - for example real time throttle or surface control/overide for stall prevention and the like... or maybe a MCAS system...

Last edited by CostasV; 02-06-2023 at 09:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CostasV:
Jannica (02-06-2023), Viper1GJ (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
ledd4u

That’s a lot of data to stuff into a 2.4 ghz signal. Latency effects, super fast micro electronics probably needed. Telemetry data stream would probably congest the signal? Data packs missing etc.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:40 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, Jeti pretty much blows all the other systems away with features including Powerbox .The only two things i don't like about mine are the trim buttons and the bulky feeling of the TX but, you get used to them or you use Auto-trim . Otherwise, all other advantages go to Jeti.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:37 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by ledd4u
That’s a lot of data to stuff into a 2.4 ghz signal. Latency effects, super fast micro electronics probably needed. Telemetry data stream would probably congest the signal? Data packs missing etc.
And yet there's no latency and I very rarely finish a flight with more than single digit missing frames.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:22 AM
jvaliensi

The last jet I set up, I somehow overloaded the EXBUS comm. I was using a REX12, Cortex Pro, REX 3 900, turbine sensor and LGC15. The Cortex Pro would not reliably initialize. I think I had it daisy chain connected with one of the other devices. Anyways, we figured there was enough latency to make the CP not get started. I redid the wiring and all is well.
So, I think the EXBUS can use some improvement. I also would like to see the 2.4 and 900 transmitting simultaneously (like Frsky).
Old 02-07-2023, 02:28 PM
CostasV

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ledd4u
And you have actual figures on this or is this just an assumption?

You may be surprised that PowerBox receivers actually transmit their telemetry information back to the Tx at the same RF power as the transmitter sends to the aircraft... Also the RF bandwidth used by different systems is not the same so different systems have different data speed/latency capabilities.

The overall telemetry performance criteria was a main design element during the development of the PowerBox P2BUS and no other system currently comes close to the same performance in this area.

At the end of the day...there is no 1 single 'Best' radio out there, they all have thier pros and cons.

You really can't go wrong with any of the top tier brands - They can all fly your aircraft well....

Last edited by CostasV; 02-07-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Springbok Flyer (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 03:22 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What do I fly with....Jeti....why.....because I got a smokin' deal on it.

Otherwise, who knows what I would've ended up with. There are several brands out there that will suffice for me.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:53 PM
ledd4u

Lots of stuff packed in there. That’s great that they can do that. Place I bought my Jeti sells PowerBox also. I have the powerBox smoke system but not yet installed. The guys I fly with suggested Jeti since that’s what they know. I see lots of guys with the Spek stuff in our club. They are happy with it. Don’t know to many with powerbox.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:55 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
Yep, Jeti pretty much blows all the other systems away with features including Powerbox .The only two things i don't like about mine are the trim buttons and the bulky feeling of the TX but, you get used to them or you use Auto-trim . Otherwise, all other advantages go to Jeti.
I placed the "Trim Hats" over my trim buttons and love it. It makes finding and operating trims much easier. I also use "cross trim" so I can fly with right hand and trim pitch and roll with left hand. I love my Jeti and will never look back at the older system I used for decades.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 02-07-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Ken Bryant (02-18-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 05:14 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jeti for me hands down... still flying my original DS-16, as I see no need to update.
I used to fly Futaba until I witnessed multiple Jet crashes due to Futaba Gimbal issues, i.e. potentiometer failures, I lost two and a buddy of mine lost two.
When I saw the First Jeti being demoed at Joe Nall many years ago and held the radio I was hooked.
The feature that really sold me was the fact that they used magnetic hall sensors for the gimbals, no more potentiometer failures!
Going from Futaba programming to Jeti was a bit of a small learning curve, but once you start playing around with it it becomes second nature.
Another buddy of mine has the Power Box radio which looks like a quality unit also, but I'm invested in Jeti and see no reason to change.
Ken Bryant (02-18-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Bob_B

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

The last jet I set up, I somehow overloaded the EXBUS comm. I was using a REX12, Cortex Pro, REX 3 900, turbine sensor and LGC15. The Cortex Pro would not reliably initialize. I think I had it daisy chain connected with one of the other devices. Anyways, we figured there was enough latency to make the CP not get started. I redid the wiring and all is well.
So, I think the EXBUS can use some improvement. I also would like to see the 2.4 and 900 transmitting simultaneously (like Frsky).
sounds like to me a self induced issue that you later resolved by wiring it correctly.
Dansy (02-08-2023)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.