Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BMV 1/5 F16 - bypass install for jetcat?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BMV 1/5 F16 - bypass install for jetcat?

Old 04-09-2023, 08:58 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMV 1/5 F16 - bypass install for jetcat?

Hi everyone,
Im looking for some advice/pics/perfomance relating to the 1/5 inlet ducting/bypass installation.

My kit has no specific instructions around the jet cat (220 RXI) and I was curious if everyone has the bypass or not? I prefer it for keeping the air going where it should Thanks for any information.

Dave
Old 04-09-2023, 10:47 AM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I originally installed the bypass. It was recommended by others not to do it and just install the bottom to keep FOD from being kicked up into turbine area. Dan
Old 04-15-2023, 01:07 PM
ddennison

anyone have photos of their bypass installation? I see BVM has a newer looking version than the one I have. Mine seems short and doesn't reach the fwd inlet well.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-15-2023, 02:45 PM
DAN AVILLA

Dave this is how I did the bottom. I used right angle carbon brackets on the rear. Dan

Old 04-16-2023, 05:41 PM
ddennison

Thank you very much!

I spent most of the day getting the tanks sorted and the turbine rails/trubine centered. I noticed the tailpipe has a little sag on the top, hmmm.

Will finalize the bypass and resume programming my Jeti. Stumped as my nose gear servo is pulsing-audible but not twitching...alos not responding to steering but it was yesterday, lol.

This will have the 220rxi, there isn't much to go in the plane as far as plumbing. With the generator fxn though the ECU battery has to be closer to the ECU..fortunately it seems close to balancing even with the ECU pack under the canopy...

Old 04-17-2023, 05:26 AM
DAN AVILLA

Dennis I have a 260 in mine and it is not over powered but I fly at 5K altitude , I believe the nose wheel servo will stop working with gear up but still have power. You are going to love the plane. The other plus with BVM is if you have a mishap parts are easy to get. I had a ducted fan jet run into mine when it was sitting on the ground. The guy made it right by me and I was able to get all the parts I needed it a week. Dan
Old 04-17-2023, 11:23 AM
dr.tom

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Is there some other need for bypass other than minimising damage in case of a really wet and bad start, some guys mentioned here in subforum?

If all of the intake is routed closed over the turbine and into the pipe) bit where does the outer wall of the thrust pipe.get its air from? It needs it for cooling effect to work, right?

Made a few jets and seen even more. But bypass seems like a thing from the past to me,
thats why I am asking to learn more

Thanks

Last edited by dr.tom; 04-17-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:29 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Dr. Tom,

To answer your question, a fully bypassed installation will always be more efficient than any other option. It provides a linear flow of air from the inlet through the exhaust. It is also significantly less draggy than any other option. From an engineering and aerodynamic standpoint, it is by far the best option.

The major downside is not being able to view engine start, which is the most critical and likely time for a significant malfunction.

As far as pipe cooling is concerned, the construction of a double walled pipe allows sufficient cooling with just ambient air.

Bottom line, a bypassed installation will always be the most efficient. You have to evaluate your application to decide if that’s important to you. Good luck!

Erik