Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Protect Servo Wires

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Protect Servo Wires

Old 04-23-2023, 02:53 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protect Servo Wires

What should I run my wires through to protect them from the turbine pipe? Elevator and rudder wires will run pretty close to the pipe.

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-23-2023, 05:02 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You can use “Cool Pipe”. It is the silver conduit running down the right side. You can also use a high temperature snake skin. But in truth, as long as it is secured along the sides, the air flow will keep it from melting.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:35 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

We use this on all of our builds.

https://aeropanda.com/products/abras...f9b38da4&_ss=r

Secure it with medium or thick CA. Add a strip of aluminum tape if within 1” of the pipe.

Danny
Old 04-24-2023, 02:41 AM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by csandt051196
What should I run my wires through to protect them from the turbine pipe? Elevator and rudder wires will run pretty close to the pipe.

Thanks
Scott
Hi Scott…. This is what I’ve been using on my jets and it has protective insulation up to 1100F. The melting point on the ceramic tubing is 2500F.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/tu...ceramic+tubing

There are a variety of sizes. Hope that helps.
Wayne

Old 04-24-2023, 10:30 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

DreamworksRC has a product called snakeskin. I have never seen it melt or rub through. I also use some aluminum tape over the JR connectors in the tail so they are easy to disconnect if I want the stabs off. The tape also keeps them connected. I also trim the servo wires in the tail so that I have the JR connectors at the joints w/o a lot of extra wire in that area.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:41 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been using this stuff, super happy with it. Different sizes depending on what is needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15349329654...3ABFBM1O-p5PZh

The following users liked this post:
Canadian Man (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 04:22 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Consider using mil-spec aircraft wire which is much more resistant to heat compared to hobby grade products. The trade name is Tefzel.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:04 AM
David Gladwin

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Powerbox have this issue addressed. Flame proof cables.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:59 PM
jvaliensi

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Powerbox have this issue addressed. Flame proof cables.
Did they change recently? My testing of the wire I bought a year or so ago shows different.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:41 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
Did they change recently? My testing of the wire I bought a year or so ago shows different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1kIT0Rv6eM
I dont know if there has been a recent change.
That said, I tested a JR pvc lead and a PB premium cable with a strong heat gun.
The pvc lead started to soften, blacken and melt, the PB was unaffected.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:48 AM
jvaliensi

I like the PowerBox brand. I do have a few issues with their wire, but I still use it for certain applications, such as sailplanes.
It is an odd size, its approximately 21AWG and really does not match up with a common metric classification either. So, stripping it is a problem. No matter how careful I am, there are always tiny strands of copper on my bench from the stripping process. It bugs me that I am unintentionally reducing the wire capacity.
The insulation degrades with exposure to sun light.

PowerBox wire is super flexible, which is nice. It looks cool too.

It is far less heat resistant compared to TEFZEL wire insulation. If TEFZEL gets over heated the insulation will not fail to cause a short. TEFZEL is the best to route in the back of a turbine fuselage where it may be exposed to high temperatures. The mil-spec wire is far easier to strip and crimp but it is much stiffer than PowerBox. I think the TEFZEL is more costly and not available as 3 wires that are twisted, so its a little more work.

Plenty of models are made with PowerBox and other wires. And many models are lost for unknown reasons. I'd guess sometimes wiring and connections were issue. So, I try to make my wiring looms as reliable as I can. I use mini-PV connectors and the appropriate crimpers, each one is careful inspected. Any connector that looks odd is tossed and redone. Safety is a primary concern as my models get bigger, heavier and faster.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:07 PM
David Gladwin

I should have said flame resistant, not proof !
That said, i have every confidence in PB cables and use it extensively, never a problem stripping or crimping.
I have made many temperature checks in fuselages near jet pipes using my old JPX. probe, nothing gets so hot I need better that PB otherwise structural integrity would be seriously compromised !
I don’t know what the insulation formula is but PB say its used in fullsize aviation. After the Kapton saga a few years ago there have been several new developments in cable insulation, so perhaps it s one of those.
Safety is my top priority , too, so PB cables, and careful routing, suit my purpose.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:53 AM
jvaliensi

With all due respect, PowerBox's claims are mostly marketing BS. It is true that it is lighter than some wires, but not all. It may or may not be more heat and flame resistant than PVC, but without published data, how do we know this is true?

Used in full sized aircraft? Where and for what type?

Prominent and well respected posters on RCU and other sites, will always use the stuff because they sell it.

I am not suggesting that any use or don't use the wire, all I'm saying is I find it to be inferior to other options and consider the manufacturer's claims to be dubious.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:58 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
I should have said flame resistant, not proof !
That said, i have every confidence in PB cables and use it extensively, never a problem stripping or crimping.
I have made many temperature checks in fuselages near jet pipes using my old JPX. probe, nothing gets so hot I need better that PB otherwise structural integrity would be seriously compromised !...
There may not be a heat problem during normal operation but I have seen jets go in after engine failures where the wires in the tail are compromised.