Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lower end radios for turbine jets?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lower end radios for turbine jets?

Old 05-08-2023, 08:42 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Lower end radios for turbine jets?

I flew thousands of flights on my futaba 14sg not even a single glitch. The 16Iz I "upgraded" to is a different story. Maybe i just got really lucky all these years with the 14sg?

Thinking of the lower end PB atom or the Jeti 12 or 16. Are these radios up to the task of turbine jets? Main thing I would like is the abilty to have flight modes for separating trims, servo speed functions, and RELIABILITY. Havent become addicted to telemetry yet.

Note lower end = Relative to higher end models in each brand. Of course I doubt these are low end radios though the ds-12 is quite cheap in price.

Last edited by essyou35; 05-08-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:16 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Tough choice but you've been around these forums long enough to know there will be no consensus of opinion.

Sorry, but it's your ball game partner.......
Old 05-08-2023, 09:39 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
I flew thousands of flights on my futaba 14sg not even a single glitch. The 16Iz I "upgraded" to is a different story. Maybe i just got really lucky all these years with the 14sg?

Thinking of the lower end PB atom or the Jeti 12 or 16. Are these radios up to the task of turbine jets? Main thing I would like is the abilty to have flight modes for separating trims, servo speed functions, and RELIABILITY. Havent become addicted to telemetry yet.

Note lower end = Relative to higher end models in each brand. Of course I doubt these are low end radios though the ds-12 is quite cheap in price.
Theres nothing lower end about a Jeti DS16, even the G1’s which was the flagship for a long time for Jeti are WAY more than up to the task.

Last edited by camss69; 05-09-2023 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:43 PM
cetigershark

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi there
I flew turbine jets with Spektrum and Jeti, no issues at all.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:59 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have flown jets with Jeti DC 16 for many years. Absolutely outstanding. Now I am flying the Powerbox Atom and I am moor than happy with that. Just because I love the feel of it. My buddy flies his jet with the Radiomaster TX 16 for a tenth of the price of my equipment and he has not had any problems with that what so ever. I have actually never heard of any one who has had a technical malfunction with this cheep Chinese radio. Choose of brands is moor about what you like and can afford than about what you need.

Jannica
Sweden
Old 05-09-2023, 02:45 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Lots of people flying turbines on the "lower end" Atom which is still higher end than most radios on the market IMHO

Flight modes, separate trims, all sorts of cool functionality. In fact, it has the same base software as the Core, the main differences are channel count, a few less flight modes, 2 receivers per model vs 4 and 2048 resolution vs 4096
The following users liked this post:
jcterrettaz (05-10-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:29 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A flying buddy of mine has the PB Atom for his jets and has 0 problems. I had an 18mz for years without problems, transitioned to a Jeti DS16 G1 with out issue, and now I am flying a DS24 without any problems. So I have seen first hand that all the radios you listed work well and would be great for turbines.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:26 PM
essyou35

I ordered a ds-16 gen 2. Kinda random I guess but I want the 900mhzs backup after losing a rebel pro near a house I need all I can get.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:12 PM
camss69

I ordered a ds-16 gen 2. Kinda random I guess but I want the 900mhzs backup after losing a rebel pro near a house I need all I can get.
Nice, congrats.

I just listed my DS-16 G1 for sale, never had a single issue with it but ran across a deal on a NIB G2 and couldn’t pass it up. Otherwise I probably would have held out for the DS-24 G2.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:28 PM
essyou35

Originally Posted by camss69
Nice, congrats.

I just listed my DS-16 G1 for sale, never had a single issue with it but ran across a deal on a NIB G2 and couldn’t pass it up. Otherwise I probably would have held out for the DS-24 G2.
what rx do you use for jets? I got the ex7 a40
I use a pioneer
Old 05-09-2023, 08:09 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Better start a new Jeti thread since the title of this one is now misleading.......
Old 05-09-2023, 08:13 PM
essyou35

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Better start a new Jeti thread since the title of this one is now misleading.......
is not
Old 05-09-2023, 10:18 PM
camss69

what rx do you use for jets? I got the ex7 a40
I use a pioneer
Depends on the size of the jet, for the smaller stuff I’ve run the REX12A by itself works great.

For the bigger stuff… 140 and up I’m running CB 210 with either two R3/RSW’s or if you want to run the Jeti Gyro, an REX7A with an R3, then you could add your 900 receiver as well.

There’s a million different configurations you can pick from, just depends what you want to do….
Old 05-10-2023, 01:35 AM
Bob_B

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

Great choice! I use a Rex 12 as my primary Rx in all my jets as the two antennas can be spaced far apart for best diversity.
I have never had an issue. You can then add a 900 for a back up.
Since you bought the Rex 7 A40 with long antennas to feed your Pioneer, You can add a 900 rx as a backup input to the Rex 7.

Last edited by Bob_B; 05-10-2023 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:56 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

is not
LOL, it is a little bit. When I open a thread about lower end radios for jets I expect to see discussion about FrSky, Taranis, and a host of others that pop up every year that I've never even heard of. But I understand your ask now that I read the thread, i.e. "lower end model of one of the premium radio brands on the market." Not that you needed anyone's approval.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:08 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yea, I expected a "Can I fly turbines on my DX6e?" sort of thread when I read the title.

It's all good, you got the answers you were looking for I reckon.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:18 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yea, I expected a "Can I fly turbines on my DX6e?" sort of thread when I read the title.

Spektrum made great efforts promoting their stuff for jets. And I'm sure it works just as well as many other tings, but like with phones if you once tried the flagships you will never go back to the entry/mid range.

My advice is usually to fly the same Tx that most in your club do. Makes most sense for troubble shooting and programming help.

Here we do Jeti, but again, could as well have been Futaba or Powerbox.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:01 AM
BarracudaHockey

Eh, I still hear that a lot but quite honestly I think its outdated advice.

Truth is, there's so much help and information at the tips of your fingers between forums, Facebook groups, and YouTube that I think you can find success with just about any product these days. And all that data is available on your smart phone at the field.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:22 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Think about it for a minute. Do you really scrimp on your radios when flying a turbine power jet capable of 200mph. You will have a ton of money invested in your jet. I dumped Spectrum years ago because of unreliable transmitters and receivers. Jetti, JR, Frsky are all good radios with different pricing options. Don't risk your investment.
The following users liked this post:
stealdesk (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 02:46 PM
essyou35

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Think about it for a minute. Do you really scrimp on your radios when flying a turbine power jet capable of 200mph. You will have a ton of money invested in your jet. I dumped Spectrum years ago because of unreliable transmitters and receivers. Jetti, JR, Frsky are all good radios with different pricing options. Don't risk your investment.
I agree, but I also know that more $$ does not make it better always. Why spend 2500 when I can spend 1500 and have it do the same thing without all the farkle I dont need?
I spendt $2600 anyways with a bunch of RX.

The wording I used is what the "elitest" in Nebraska use. If you dont buy the highest end everything you suck and are poor. So I just own it. Im looking to buy a lower end PB or Jeti because I suck and Im poor. Shrug.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:49 PM
essyou35

I flew my first jets on an 8FG never an issue. More $$ doesnt mean better, the higher end spektrums at the time cost more and were far less reliable based on what I saw at my club.

I dont get the elitist attitudes in this hobby, its just a toy that cost 5-10k Not really that hard to do with proper financial management even on a sub 6 figure income. That doesnt apply to me though and if the elitist saw my 401Ks they would cry, Ill be flying turbines when Im 80 and they are flying park flyers and I still wont act elitist.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:37 PM
camss69

Yeah all the elitist guys that I see at the events are the guys sitting in the pits with 2-3, $15-$20k planes all by themselves…They stick out like a sore thumb.

I just steer clear, there’s plenty of non-elitist to hang with..

When you talk about “lower end” radios by the big brands, they pretty much all are way more capable than we will ever need. Didn’t stop me from upgrading tho..
Old 05-11-2023, 01:05 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Eh, I still hear that a lot but quite honestly I think its outdated advice.

Truth is, there's so much help and information at the tips of your fingers between forums, Facebook groups, and YouTube that I think you can find success with just about any product these days. And all that data is available on your smart phone at the field.
Well, there are lot's of info but who are to follow? There are tons of very convincing youtube channels, but their goal is to make money not make you happy. "It finally happend" LOL. For me to solve a specific programming issue using only my phone at the field would often take a very long time. Asking friends we can team up and have it done in minutes. I would call my advice still very universal rather than outdated.

Those who are facebook group wizards often doesn't even show up at the airfields as you can as well fly you jet on the back streets close to home....
Old 05-11-2023, 03:49 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

If you want to go fly your jet on a Spektrum 6e have a shot. I was just offering advice. I have been in this hobby for 60 years and flying jets since the beginning of ducted fans and seen it all. I dumped Spektrum due to reliability and tried something else. You can spend a ton if you wish or little if you do some research. My biggest worry for every flight is to complete the most important maneuver in model aviation...the taxi back. There are some really good radios that are inexpensive and some really bad radios that cost a lot. If you want to spend a lot get a PB radio, if you want to spend a little get a Frsky, in the middle Jeti. I chose Jeti for its reliability and flexibility.

Last edited by tp777fo; 05-11-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:15 AM
stealdesk
My Feedback: (4)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I started flying back in the mid 1980`s I had Futaba. Jumped to a JR 9303 in the 2000`s. When Spectrum came about I had to get the module for my radio to get on this 2.4 band wagon. There came a time I needed more channels so I jumped to the DX18 gen1. During this time I started to dabble in FPV. The DX18 was not working out with the DJI flight controlers, so I tried a FrSky Taranis. I had my doubts about this radio. Man that was a system shock learning OpenTx. For planes and helis I had my DX18 and all my FPV stuff was on the Taranis. I lost 2 planes on my DX 18 first one I was low and thought it was pilot error second time it went into fail safe. Did a range check and it failed on my other plane. Sent it in and the RF deck was bad. At that point I was well into the FrSky radios for FPV. I have never had any RF issues with any Frsky products so I installed thier recievers in all my planes and never looked back. Now I am flying turbine jets with a great history of using Frsky. The main thing I see alot of times is questionable installs, antenna positioning and insufficeint supply of power causing RF problems. Like others have said I thought this tread was going to talk about mid priced radios. Thats my 2 cent LOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.