Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SM Viperjet 2.6m modifications.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SM Viperjet 2.6m modifications.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:18 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SM Viperjet 2.6m modifications.

i have a Skymaster Viperjet MKII 2.6m wingspan bought in 2009 directly from SM. i am about to start the build and would very much appreciate to gather all info related to the various mods done to improve the airworthiness of this beautiful jet.
I have read a lot of threads and bits and pieces here and there but i would gladly appreciate if someone would summarize the necessary mods which would greatly help me through the build and avoid trial and errors or a fatal mistake...

Thanks in advance
Old 05-17-2023, 12:26 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by extra 300
i have a Skymaster Viperjet MKII 2.6m wingspan bought in 2009 directly from SM. i am about to start the build and would very much appreciate to gather all info related to the various mods done to improve the airworthiness of this beautiful jet.
I have read a lot of threads and bits and pieces here and there but i would gladly appreciate if someone would summarize the necessary mods which would greatly help me through the build and avoid trial and errors or a fatal mistake...

Thanks in advance
Other than personal preferences of equipment and tray layout, there’s really no major air frame modifications to be concerned with.
Build it as per the plans, and go fly the crap out of it.
I would recommend a little crow with a full flap deployment.
Great airplane, flies awesome. Just remember it’s not a 200 mile an hour airplane…

Dan
Old 05-17-2023, 03:48 PM
FenderBean

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

If its the older version watch out for the flap seal, it can hang up and cause a mix flap situation. Solution was to limit flap travel or extend the gap seal.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:38 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Single biggest issue on both of mine (2M and 2.6M) was that the hinge blocks for the rudder did not line up. On both planes I had to add blocks to the fin so the hinges had structure to tie into. I used a really bright light in a dark room to find the blocks. Also one of the flaps was missing the block for the control horn, not a big deal to cut a notch in the leading edge and insert a block. but you might want to make sure they're there before you cut the slot.

One thing you'll find is there are no provisions to get the wires from the wing servos into the fuse. You'll have to drill holes in the servo pocket and through the landing gear bulkheads as well as the webbing between the spar tube and the wing skin in order to bring everything out the hole next to the front alignment pin. I tried going through the wheel well and its a pain. If you're running air gear and brakes leave the connectors off until after you run the lines that way you can get by with a smaller hole under the spar tube.

The hoops on both the canopy and the fixed portion are weak and will crack pretty easy if you don't apply some kind of reinforcement.

One last thing you might want to look at, on both of mine I set the main doors up to be closed once the gear is down. The doors hang low and my thinking was if I ever ran off the runway they'd probably get ripped off
The following users liked this post:
rcjetsaok (05-17-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 11:33 PM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks very much for your valuable inputs! Much appreciated.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:49 AM
FenderBean

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Also main door hinges had to be replaced on mine they used a cheaper knock off version of the dubro pin hinges. Mine broke after the first flight