Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help With EDF Jet Design

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help With EDF Jet Design

Old 09-01-2023, 01:09 PM
wxup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With EDF Jet Design

I would like to design a Depron foam EDF jet aircraft, but have no experience with EDFs and could use some help. I want to use a 50mm EDF. If I'm doing the math correctly it has an area of 3.14 sq. in. I'm assuming the air intake needs to be at least that size, maybe larger? What about the exhaust opening? Does it need to be the same area? Smaller? Larger?

I'm expecting the all up weight to be around 850 grams. The EDF I'm looking at is rated at 950 grams. Will this be sufficient for my needs?

This is new to me so any information I can get on the design process would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:24 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

Outlet wants to be around the swept area. So fan part only.
Inlet will depend on length of the inlet tracks. But smooth airflow into the fan blades is important, greater air in, but too big it’s just drag!
Old 09-04-2023, 06:22 PM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello wxup, possibly the best resource is "RC DUCTED FANS" by Frank Fanelli. This book was first published in the 80's from recollection and is an excellent go-to for ducted fan airframe and ducting design. Although EDF was in it's infancy then, almost all the information remains relevant. I'll even give you the ISBN, it's 0-87938-279-1.

For example, It will answer questions and provide real world data on FSA (fan swept area), tailpipe contraction, etc.

BRG, Frank
Old 09-07-2023, 05:07 AM
wxup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses! I have the book on order. In the meantime I'm anticipating my Depron foam aircraft will weigh 850 grams AUW and I would like to fly it on a 3S 2200 battery. I would like to use a 50mm EDF. Is this even possible? Where should I look for EDF systems? I found one on eBay with the following specs:
QF2611
Structure 9N6P
50mm
5000KV
12 blade
120 grams
12.6 volts
567 watts
45 amps
950 grams thrust

Being eBay I have no idea if the specs are accurate or the quality of the EDF. Is there a better source for EDFs I should be looking at? I haven't found anything else with that high a thrust rating.

Last edited by wxup; 09-07-2023 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:25 PM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello, although I have no experience with this size fan, a good place to go to for comparative information and test data is "extremerc.com.au", BRG Frank