Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Strange issue with electron retract unit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Strange issue with electron retract unit

Old 12-07-2023, 05:28 AM
Ragz

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange issue with electron retract unit

Hello
I recently purchased an ER50 set for the carf Rebel Max. During the installation one needs to move the gear up and down to make sure it all lines up. For this I was using a JR matchbox unit that is basically a servo tester. After 10-12 cycles, one retract unit stops going through the entire range of motion and stops after 5-10mm only. If I turn off the system, and toggle the switch, and restart, it may go to the other end when powered up again, only occasionally. Seems like some issue with the servo pulse.

Since these are brand new units, there is no question of any dirt inside, I yet opened it to be sure. It's squeaky clean. In fact if I now run the motor without load, it still only has about 15-20 revolutions and then it stops? It seems like the unit got confused by my constant toggling using a rotary servo tester. I cannot understand how to reset this unit? Does it have a memory device inside the motor where some software could be corrupted? Other units are working perfectly using the same servo tester. I have obviously tried this with my Powerbox core radio as well. Results are identical.

Any Advice? An email to electron has been sent, awaiting reply.

thank you.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:31 AM
Ragz

I got very tempted to connect the battery directly to the unit, but refrained doing so, as it voids warranty etc. But what harm can it cause except that the motor won't find the cut off V? At least it will move and possibly fix itself? I dont know.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:14 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragz
Hello
I recently purchased an ER50 set for the carf Rebel Max. During the installation one needs to move the gear up and down to make sure it all lines up. For this I was using a JR matchbox unit that is basically a servo tester. After 10-12 cycles, one retract unit stops going through the entire range of motion and stops after 5-10mm only. If I turn off the system, and toggle the switch, and restart, it may go to the other end when powered up again, only occasionally. Seems like some issue with the servo pulse.

Since these are brand new units, there is no question of any dirt inside, I yet opened it to be sure. It's squeaky clean. In fact if I now run the motor without load, it still only has about 15-20 revolutions and then it stops? It seems like the unit got confused by my constant toggling using a rotary servo tester. I cannot understand how to reset this unit? Does it have a memory device inside the motor where some software could be corrupted? Other units are working perfectly using the same servo tester. I have obviously tried this with my Powerbox core radio as well. Results are identical.

Any Advice? An email to electron has been sent, awaiting reply.

thank you.
You may have burned out the retract motors. Retract controllers cut the power to the retract at the end of the cycle when it "amps out". By using a servo tester there is no amp cut off and you may very well have overamped the motors and damaged them. I would reach out to Greg Alderman at Jag RC and see his thoughts.
Tone
The following users liked this post:
AEROSHELDON (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:19 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You might have damaged the unit. In their instructions it says to only run the gear with the one of their controllers. I highly recommend you purchase Electron's manual control unit. I originally bought one for use with my big ViperJet. The wheels retract into the fuse so they need to be extended to install the wings. When you push the buttons the gear only moves while the button is depressed, it makes setting up the gear a lot easier. I taped a cheap 400mah 2S battery to the unit just to make things easier.

https://www.electron-retracts.com/manual-controller/

Old 12-07-2023, 06:21 AM
Ragz

I did not use the servo tester DIRECTLY on the retract. It was connected to the GS200 controller in the GEAR IN socket. Instead of a radio and rx, I used the servo tester to toggle the pulses for the GS 200 unit.

Old 12-07-2023, 06:52 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I did not use the servo tester DIRECTLY on the retract. It was connected to the GS200 controller in the GEAR IN socket. Instead of a radio and rx, I used the servo tester to toggle the pulses for the GS 200 unit.
What you describe should work to control the PPM input into the GS200.
However, what voltage are your powering the retract motors with? You did not mention the separate power source for the motors.
Did you isolate the two power supplies (i.e power from the servo tester and power to the retract's motors?)
Do you have the installation instructions?
Old 12-07-2023, 07:03 AM
fmrsdtr

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
You may have burned out the retract motors. Retract controllers cut the power to the retract at the end of the cycle when it "amps out". By using a servo tester there is no amp cut off and you may very well have overamped the motors and damaged them. I would reach out to Greg Alderman at Jag RC and see his thoughts.
Tone
Hey Tone, since he is in India, he would need to contact Electron in Spain if he needs parts or new motors since we (Greg/JAG) are only the importer to the US. Greg might be able to give him some input though: [email protected].

Last edited by fmrsdtr; 12-07-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:10 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fmrsdtr
Hey Tone, since he is in India, he would need to contact Electron in Spain if he needs parts or new motors since we (Greg/JAG) are only the importer to the US. Greg might be able to give him some input though: [email protected].
Ahhh. Good catch Jenni. I did not think to look at his location. Thank you for the correction.
Tone
The following users liked this post:
fmrsdtr (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:44 AM
Ragz

thanks for the input guys. Not the first time I am using electrons. probably my 5th setup. I am using a7.4v lipo direct into the gs200 and 6v on the servo tester. usually setting up these gears is a no brainer. Except this time I got stuck with one unit that has misbehaved. probably something I have done wrong with it, but I wonder what?
Old 12-07-2023, 09:38 AM
FlyJ

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the input guys. Not the first time I am using electrons. probably my 5th setup. I am using a7.4v lipo direct into the gs200 and 6v on the servo tester. usually setting up these gears is a no brainer. Except this time I got stuck with one unit that has misbehaved. probably something I have done wrong with it, but I wonder what?
Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Sounds like a faulty motor if anything. Can you try to use the GS200 screen to retract the gear instead of the matchbox? From the main screen you can click "MAN" at the bottom. Then click the "extend gear" or "retract gear". I don't think this will change anything, but it will isolate the matchbox if you think that's a problem.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:28 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the electron manual controller but i dont think it will harm the motor if you feed it with 6 or7.4v directly just be very careful to stop it before the end points.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:59 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Have you tried with all three retracts plugged in? Sometimes the controller doesnít like it when only 1 or 2 are plugged in but when all 3 are, it works.

Out of the three controllers Iíve had, only one was like that but it worked every time when all 3 were plugged in.

I think Dirk at Pacific RC Jets told me that.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:26 PM
Ragz

I have tried the MAN retraction from the GS200 screen as well. All three plugged in together also don't make any difference to the one unit that is not working correctly. Sometimes, using the matchbox I can make the motor move all the way to the other side, so I know there is nothing wrong with the motor. I get the Check Switch message on the screen so it means the switch in on the wrong side when powered up. SOMETIMES, toggling this switch in the OFF state and powering up will make the motor go the other way, but if I want to move it back, it won't. It's quite strange. This will happen only with the JR matchbox. If I use the RX/Radio combo, this unit will only move 5-6mm. I have tried to reprogram the pulse settings on the RADIO section of the controller as well. I notice that with the RX it goes between 900ms to 2000ms. But with the JR matchbox, it goes from 0ms to 2000ms. I think this is the catch. Something is happening with these pulse settings.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:19 AM
p-40lover

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

had the same issue.. your going to be purchasing 2-3 new motors.. did it twice myself.. could send them back but for some reason they don't oike to be unplugged an plugged back in with the power on..
Old 12-11-2023, 06:19 AM
Ragz

Got in touch with the company, they are sending in a replacement motor. thanks to all for their advice.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:52 AM
harpoonrs

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I confirm, I had the same problem with a brand new ER40 that broke down during the installation adjustments.
The engine was only running for a few revolutions.

After an exchange with Electron, I received a brand new engine with gearbox,
I returned the old one to them for expertise but too bad I didn't get any feedback...

The quality of these small electric motor leaves a lot to be desired,
Fortunately, the after-sales service was efficient!