Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Viper 2023 Edition

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Viper 2023 Edition

Old 12-23-2023, 11:50 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Default CARF Viper 2023 Edition

Hi,
Has anyone experience with the newest version? They boast about the new pipe setup. Does this part come with the kit?
I am looking to build a bigger jet in 2024, something near 2,5m wing span. I wonder if this one slows down like the Rebel Pro?
Old 12-23-2023, 12:00 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I had the prior Viper it doesn't slow down like the Pro and is very sensitive to CG, unlike the Rebel Pro, which's more forgiving all the way around.
I won't bother with it; the short-tail moment between the wing and elevator makes it quick to turn & stall it has soured me on the design.

Last edited by Skunkwrks; 12-23-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:36 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

What a load of rubbish you speak!
Viper is a great design, slows down really well. It is super insensitive to balance, though the manual is nose heavy. It’s groovy and slows to land on a 360’ grass strip in flat calm conditions.
We have an 80 year old average pilot that flies one with a JetCat P-160 from a grass field and has no issues. Actually it’s super popular in the U.K. full stop.
The pipe is something you order as the CARF site.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:49 PM
Dave Wilshere

Old 12-23-2023, 02:57 PM
jvaliensi

I don't think CARF makes a bad flying airplane. I've had a few different ones and they were all good.
The Viper is a short coupled aircraft. The stabs are huge compared to other designs. The larger area is needed to make up for the short moment arm. Given that, it should not be extra sensitive in pitch.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:58 PM
FlyJ

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the prior and it was an absolute dream to fly. Very low stress airplane in every way. It slows down wonderfully due to its long high aspect wings with light wing loading. Iíd recommend this airplane to anybody who wants a 2.6m jet.
Old 12-23-2023, 09:40 PM
Skunkwrks

I guess the only way to solve the issue is to order one and assembly.

The horizontal and Vertical are oversize for the plane guess they are compnsating for stability .

All the photos have detailed pilots to reduce the amount of weight required for balance in the nose as it very short and cramped around the gear.

When landing it has a tendency to bounce and not settle down. I had much more smoother landings with the Rebel than the Viper which I had to add crow to try and slow down!!

Shaped like a yellowfin tuna, short and fat.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2023, 11:22 PM
FlyJ

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
I guess the only way to solve the issue is to order one and assembly.

The horizontal and Vertical are oversize for the plane guess they are compnsating for stability .

All the photos have detailed pilots to reduce the amount of weight required for balance in the nose as it very short and cramped around the gear.

When landing it has a tendency to bounce and not settle down. I had much more smoother landings with the Rebel than the Viper which I had to add crow to try and slow down!!

Shaped like a yellowfin tuna, short and fat.

Merry Christmas
I flew mine without a cockpit and had all the batteries behind the nose gear. Itís a much cleaner airframe than the rebels so it takes more time to burn off speed. If you hold it off the runway it settles beautifully and has a very predictable stall. Mine definitely had some crow in there to add some more drag for landing, but I donít see that as an issue.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

No cockpit and batteries just in front of the tank. With cockpit batteries on the tankÖ

Old 12-25-2023, 07:07 PM
Skunkwrks

Originally Posted by FlyJ
I flew mine without a cockpit and had all the batteries behind the nose gear. Itís a much cleaner airframe than the rebels so it takes more time to burn off speed. If you hold it off the runway it settles beautifully and has a very predictable stall. Mine definitely had some crow in there to add some more drag for landing, but I donít see that as an issue.
Our runway is 800 ft of sparse grass and it did take time to settle down the speed even with crow. My airframe must have been light in the nose as three batteries around the gear frame plus 100 grams of weight to get the CG in the middle of the tube. Unlike David's airstrip, he flies off, long and asphalt, mine is thin grass with loads of bumps in between
Old 01-09-2024, 09:20 AM
Dave Wilshere

Old 01-12-2024, 03:13 PM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got mine ordered. Probably go with a King Tech 180 turbine, and Electron Retracts. Very excited about the new jet.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:17 AM
Dave Wilshere

The Video is an original ‘heavy’ one powered by a JetCat P-160Rxi-B and I would be surprised if I was at full power more than a few seconds even on the longer vertical stuff.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:45 PM
Spillmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I can't confirm that the ViperJet tends to bounce or anything. If the flaps are lowered as indicated in the manual the model also slows down easily on landings. What helps though is to move the CG a bit more to the back as the CG indicated in the manual is rather nose heavy. Also there is basically now need for any trim change when the flaps are lowered.

I have mine now more than 11 years and it it still a lot of fun to fly it.

Here is a video of mine: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/afw...ibextid=WC7FNe

Kind regards,
JC
Old 01-17-2024, 04:40 AM
jvaliensi

Wow JC you sure can slow your Viper down!