Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Central Texas Jet Rally

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Central Texas Jet Rally

Old 04-27-2002, 03:26 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Central Texas Jet Rally

The jet rally starts Sat. About thirty pilots showed up today (Friday). The pilots were fed pizza for lunch and fajitas for dinner. The Mississippi gang, Colorado gang and a group from Louisiana including Eddie Weeks also attended. Eddie burned 10 gallons of fuel by 3pm. The Bobcats (four) flew flawlessly and there were no mishaps allday.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:43 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

These are some of the brave pilots participating in the ARCA jet rally this morning. Winds were gusting over 25mph. What a fine display of flying skills.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9587_759.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	6548  
Old 04-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Just wanted to share this photo of Tom's jet. Real sharp!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9610_759.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	6549  
Old 04-28-2002, 03:34 AM
Shawnusa
My Feedback: (3)

I was there this Sat. I saw Toms plane and all I can say is WOW! Not only does this thing look like a flying missle, but he flew it in the wind! Anyway, if anyone knows Tom please ask him about his Tool caddy that is shown in the picture. I liked this setup and was wanting to know were he got it.

Keep'em Flyin
Shawnusa
Old 04-28-2002, 10:10 PM
b17flyer-RCU

Default flght box

I,ve had the same flght box for 3 yrs now. It's a stanley tool box(home depo) for about 100 bucks. three sections, all detachable.
top is for my radios, lined w/ foam and can hold 2. Middle has pull outs for tools, bottom is one large fold down front. have my batteries, starter, fuel pump etc.
real cool and you dont have to build it
Old 04-28-2002, 10:17 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default fun central texas jet rally facts

Shawn,

The tool caddy is available at home depot and at Sam's clubs.

The flying up to Saturday was terrific, then a lull till about 6:00 pm Saturday when the wind finally laid down, the sun came out and the boys started logging sorties. Several guys logged three or four flights after 6:00 pm.

Sunday the wind was equally difficult in the am, so awards were given so the travelers could hit the road.

Pilots 43
Aircraft: 60 (therabouts)
Crashes: 3
Meals Served: 8

Special recognition was given to the Mississippi gang and the Colorado bunch for their continued support over the past 13 years. Making 9 and 14 hour drives to our little event deserves note, doing it as many years as they have deserves more than the "t-shirt" our club gave them. They do need to work on their fajita consumption. I think several only had 3! lightweights!

Awards as follows:
Best Sport Finish: David Reid for the paint both his and Vernon's Bobcats

Best Sport Performace: Vernon Montgomery's Bobcat.. the smoke was a hit with the crowd

Best Scale Finish: Tom Perry's F-104 Starfighter in a German Celebration scheme. the nad's to fly it earned a few points as well.

Best Scale Performace: Roger Kirchner for muscling his big Yellow F-18 in and out on a 450' runway

Pilot's Choice: Eddie Weeks Isobar... if anyone did not get some stick time on it, it was their own fault

Top Gun: Phil Nuza Blistering rolling passes into rolling loops (of sorts) were pretty cool. Sticking as many landings as well as he did was too. with or without a pos nosegear

Thanks to all who participated or spectated. Thanks also to all who helped cook or work other aspects of the event. Look forward to it again next year.

Central Texas Jet Rally CD
Old 04-29-2002, 02:31 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Flying, Food, and Fun was A1! Thanks for putting on such a great event again this year.

Look for a video of the event on www.houstonhobbies.com to be release as soon as I finish editing.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:43 AM
bcovish

Default Video

Thanks JR. Looking forward to the video.

Hope you had enough to eat. Were you there for the steak dinner. I was pretty then with my family and all else that went on, I don't remember seeing you. If you were, how was the steak.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:47 AM
bcovish

Default Ray Blair

If anyone from the Houston area knows how Ray is doing, please let us know.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2002, 05:42 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

fyi

ray ......... after playing fireman ( in the field across the street in the field) on sat evening woke up sun am feeling bad......his pulse rate was 160.......he asked us to take him to the hospital in austin around 9:00 am sun morning.......once there they did an electro-shock to his heart to get it back to normal....we left the hospital around 2:00pm and headed for home......while he was tired on the way back he did have enough strength to turn his head to the right and notice a subway sandwich shop and say gee im hungry.....upon entering he proceeded to bench press a 6 incher to his mouth until it was gone........upon calling him around 10 pm sunday night to check on him he told me he was feeling a little tired and he thought he should of gotten the 12 incher instead....so im happy to report he is back home sleeping in his hangar

ttly
gregg
Old 04-29-2002, 09:36 AM
jetflyer

Bob,

I was there for the steak dinner...yum, yum!

Ray, I hope you get to feeling better.

JR
Old 04-29-2002, 11:19 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

The Mississippi Gang had a great time as usual. The winds were perfect!!! Really helped slow the airplane down to a crawl on landing. The Bobcats were in and out on 100' of runway. Thanks to the Austin Gang for the great event, put it on your calender for next year.

David Reid
Old 05-04-2002, 11:27 PM
Jim_McNamara

This was my first time to attend the Austin Jet Fly-In. \\

It was great!!! Despite the windy conditions there was great flying jets....

Being a Louisiana native, I did not expect to find jambalaya or ettouffe but the Saturday steak dinner was the very best meal I've ever had in all of Texas.

The Ms Gang taught us La boys new tricks about BobCats & tater chunkins....

Great event & congratulations to the Austin RC club, Jim
Old 05-05-2002, 01:46 AM
Bandito

Bob, thanks for asking. Im doing fine. no more problems. We had a great time and the food was great as usual. Tell Dan and Rog thanks for the calls. JR, it was great meating you. Give me an e-mail sometime [email protected]. Ray
Old 05-05-2002, 01:49 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Ray,

Good to hear you are alright! Missed you out there Sunday morning. Are you coming to Mississippi?

David Reid
Old 05-05-2002, 01:50 AM
bcovish

Default Jet Rally

Glad you made and am really glad you had a good time. We will do this again next year. The MS gang can teach you a few things about Bobcats but I think what you saw being shot of a potato gun you should just forget about or anything else they taught you. It will only get you in trouble.
Hope you can make it to the MS Afterburner in two weeks. I'm leaving in the morning for Florida a going to the event for there.

Thanks again kind words
Old 05-05-2002, 02:18 AM
bcovish

Default Ray

Ray
Glad to hear you are doing good. Next time something happens like what happened Sat. eve, you and I are going to leave to the young bucks to take care of.

"Getting old is not for sissys"

Take care and hope to see ya in Mississippi.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:22 AM
jetflyer

Ray,

Yes, it was nice to meet you too. I've added your email address to my address book. I'm planning on coming out to Scobee with my F-16 sometime in May. Hope to see you again then. I'll send you an email so we can swap contact info.

JR
Old 05-14-2002, 03:43 AM
EddieWeeks

There are some new pics here

http://nomacnews.com/NOMACN~1/AUSTINJET2002x.html

EW