Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BOB Violett Did Not Crash Today

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOB Violett Did Not Crash Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 02:21 AM
motstud74
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOB Violett Did Not Crash Today

I saw Bob Violett Crash today one of his F-100 jets at a private field. I saw it with my own two eyes. No one else was there. Very strange. He was trying some new stuff and burried the jet right into the dirt.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:25 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

oh no....prices will be going up at BVM to make up for it!!!!!...i better get my order in before the increase
Old 04-30-2002, 02:28 AM
motstud74
My Feedback: (14)

Default drop prices

His prices are too high as it is. They should go down so more people buy.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:41 AM
tcfireco

Default BVM F-100 CRASH

HI,

WAS IT THE F-100 THAT IS IN THE AD? MAN THAT WAS A NICE BIRD BUT YES HIS JETS ARE OVER PRICED AND HE COULD BE NICER TO HIS CUSTIMERS. BUT HE STILL HAS THE BEST JETS

TCFIRECO
Old 04-30-2002, 03:31 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bummer, good thing he has alot more!
Old 04-30-2002, 03:52 AM
azblue

Wow, after reading his proposal to the A.M.A at www.usrcjc.org/bv_proposal.htm I thought only other pilots crashed. looks like ol Bob has to drop himself down to level two for 2 years. Pitty.

Andy
Old 04-30-2002, 04:20 AM
A104FREAK
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, after reading his proposal to the A.M.A at www.usrcjc.org/bv_proposal.htm I thought only other pilots crashed. looks like ol Bob has to drop himself down to level two for 2 years. Pitty.

Andy

Somehow I doubt that will happen.

I used to have a very low Opinion of B.V.'s attitude at shows, But
I have changed that since being able to have a rational conversation with Bob In a relaxed atmosphere. He is very knowledgable and Loves the hobby, I also think BV is aware of the opinions alot of folks have about his attitude and would guess he has been working on that. I don't know him on a personal level.
I think he charges the prices he does for his products because that's what they are worth to him, and he knows if folks want what he has they will pay his price. He does have quality products, and that which is not is quickly weeded out.
I , myself cannot afford his Kits, but I do not complain, I have the knowledge and ability, If I want something bad enough I will design and build for myself. There are alot of people out there that does not have these talents, but that's ok that's what keeps model companies in business. To each his own.

Jim O'Connell
Old 04-30-2002, 06:10 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: BOB Violett Crashed Today!!!!!!!

Originally posted by motstud74
I saw Bob Violett Crash today one of his F-100 jets at a private field. I saw it with my own two eyes. No one else was there. Very strange. He was trying some new stuff and burried the jet right into the dirt.
Is there a point here or what?
Old 04-30-2002, 06:20 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BOB Violett Crashed Today!!!!!!!

Originally posted by motstud74
I say it's one of dem Urban Legends. I'm always leery of someone posting stuff and not identifying themselves. It's so easy to hide behind a computer... I don't really understand what the intention of your post is as RC pilots do crash their aircraft from time to time.

BTW, if it did happen, I'm sorry to hear about BV's misfortune. but it does happen to everyone
Old 04-30-2002, 07:45 AM
Shaun Evans

My sentiments as well...

I can only speak to my own personal experience, and in that experience with BV, he has always been straight-shooting, cordial and helpful. I'm sorry to hear about him losing his bird, it was very cool. Seems like the point was to come in here and tease the guy about it, geeze.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Jetset

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crashing

Simply put, a little stretched out now!
Everybody crashes- Doesn't matter who you are. Frankly, I'm surprised we all don't crash more often than we do considering what we are trying to do here! We are taking a model with sophisticated electronics and power plants and pushing them through the air at speeds that make some people run for cover, and controlling them with radio waves! !
Just think about how many things can go wrong here?
Crashing is a part of this hobby that no one likes, but it happens and it happens to everybody regardless of attitudes or personality.
Just my .002 CAD!

Myles
Old 04-30-2002, 08:29 AM
Mike James

Default Bob

I'm not a jet flyer at this time, but have been in RC since the late 1960s. Like many modelers, I've become interested in more complex stuff, i.e. scale, mold making, etc., as I've become older.

A few years ago I was doing research for a "sport prop jet" I designed, and called Bob, (and Larry Wolfe and others) to ask for some help. On several occasions, he was obviously busy, but still took a few minutes to answer all my questions, and shed some light on his products as well. And, by the way, I had told him the truth up front, which was that I didn't fly his models, because I couldn't afford them.

He talked to me about the fact this models come from great research, followed by meticulous computer design, scale airfoils, metal molds, and first class layup materials and techniques. At the time, it was great and inspiring information and advice.

I don't know Bob personally, but to bash him here, when we all know what he does, is not only impolite, but futile. How can you knock a guy who designs and builds incredible aircraft that work great, tests them himself, in competition, and also manages to make a profitable business out of it ?

I say more power to him, because what he does benefits all of us. He's a major innovator, and has really changed the face of this "hobby".
Old 04-30-2002, 09:38 AM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Default BV Crash

Mike,
Very well said. To tease anyone about a crash is in poor taste. I remember a former hobby shop owner saying " there are two kinds of airplanes, those that have crashed and those that will ". This is so true. It happens to all of us at one time or another for a whole host of reasons. To make fun of anyones misfortune is simply unnecessary.
Rob
Old 04-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Chrism-RCU

BOB Violett Crashed Today!!!!!!! (post # 1)

Mate,you think thats news, I has Wheeties for breakfast today, just thought you all might like to know that

BRG,
Chris.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:28 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I, like all of us, have heard all of the stories about BV's attitude in the past, but I think he's definitely mellowed. I have had several talks with him over the last three years and he has been a great, very knowledgable, and very polite guy. I can not afford a BVM kit and have only bought some accessories from time to time and I think he knows that, but I was always treated right. It is definitely wrong to give him sh_t in a public forum because of an unfortunate crash. He does, however, have the resources to recover faster than anyone of us!
Old 04-30-2002, 10:36 AM
mvigod
Banned

Well...if you count the number of points of failures in an rc airplane or jet it's not all that hard as much as Bob flies to envision a time when a plane might go in. Tx failure, rx failure, interference, servo motor failure, servo gear failure, linkage failure, etc...

Bob charges the prices the market will bear for his models...if the market did not pay what he asked for them the prices would be lower and if demand was even higher perhaps pricing would be higher than it is. Market demands determine price more than anything Who makes market demand you ask? All of you who enjoy and purchase his kits as there is enough value proposition in them to warrant his price from the buyers perspective. He can barely keep up with demand so that likely is his pricing gauge.

Just my .02 cents...
Old 04-30-2002, 10:42 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

This thread really got under my skin. I just wonder at times what goes through peoples minds when they have to run and tell everyone about bad news. We were haveing a meeting the other day of new turbine pilots in the Maryland area when the subject of crashes was brought up. We were all together at the shop where I work; as we have a test stand where we teach all of the new guys about their engine. Well low and behold the phone rings and it's BV himself calling me to see if he can help out with the trouble we were having with the Ram 500 on the stand. We had a nice conversation and I wished him well at Top Gun. Now I ask you to consider this. What is your time worth to you, Have you ever risked your money and time to develop a product, and if so are you still in business? Why do I ask this? Why did this thread get under my skin? I guess I am getting tired of people who have no idea of what it takes to develop the kind of products that come from BVM or any other manufacture of high standards. Put it into perspective of autos, you never hear anyone saying in the nonmodeling world that BMW or Mercedes are over priced and that they should be nicer or that the prices should be lower so that more people should be able to get one. I don't own any of those autos but would Love to; they are just out of my price range with also having this wonderful hobby we have.Sorry for venting at lenth, but it just seems that bad news travels fast and everybody loves to see a crash as long as its not theirs! I had a customer say the other day the he would love to see one of the Jets hanging in the store crash. So heres what I told him. Meet me at the field with $15K and I'll be glad to crash YOUR JET since you now will own it ;right in front of you and you can take all of the video you want. He looked at me like I was crazy, and said why would I want to do that. I responded well if you want to see a crash you should be the one that's paying for it to happen, after losing that kind of money and more inportant to me time spent building it you would see my point of view. If the news is true it's to bad a great plane was lost.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:56 AM
mvigod
Banned

Ron - well said

In defense of the original poster here though read what he wrote..."testing new stuff..." and "there alone"

If I was testing some new stuff I would rather be alone for safety issues and just like in the real world test pilots crash planes that they are in and have to eject (if lucky) it will happen also in the modeling world when you are testing new stuff and pushing the envelope to improve your products consistently for your customers. It is only through testing, trials, debugging that you can learn and fine tune and improve your products.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:06 AM
Chrism-RCU

Hi all,

At last some sanity, If Bob crashed a plane, so what, we all do it, have done it and are going at some time to do it again, from post 1 of this thread it says that it was trying new stuff, and at a private field, the new stuff was most probably being tested for our eventual benifit and it was being tested out of the way at a private field so what is the problem, I had to try and run an engine to total destruction for the AMA approval process, for the benifit of a possible TJT customers safety and well being, so if somone wants to post that a TJT engine has blown up please do.
But show some consideration as to why.

BRG,
Chris at TJT
Old 04-30-2002, 11:15 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmmmm....

So when exactly did this crash occur? I talked to BV myself late yesterday afternoon. (And he was at the shop) It sure is easy for some bottom feeder to come on to an internet forum and spread gossip. We all crash occasionally so what is the big deal?

I know first hand about BV's temperment, I also know first hand about his generousity. I have been a BVM customer for several years now, and have always been treated with the upmost respect. I called yesterday to order one small part and Patty told me Bob wanted to talk to me about it. We even discussed why I was needing that part, he told me if I did not want to go to all the trouble of upgrading my airplane (some mods to the retracts on my Bobcat) to just send him back the parts. I say get a life buddy and if you are going to make a post like this one at least have the balls to sign your name to the bottom of it.

David Reid
Old 04-30-2002, 11:26 AM
mvigod
Banned

Upon researching the only 2 posts that the original poster has made here at RCU so far both are in this thread.

The first one about the crash and the 2nd one about how he doesn't like the pricing policy's of BVM. The pricing thing is fine as everyone is entitled to an opinion of course. However if the first one is not verifiable so maybe somebody can speak to bob himself to verify as it would be interesting to set the record straight if in fact the original post was not accurate at all although not a big deal in any way if it was.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:26 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Purpose?

I don't know what Motstud74's purpose for the post was either. If it was to tease-SHAME.

Like it was said earlier, EVERBODY crashes sometime or the other. If you fly often enough, something is going to happen, whether it's pilot-error or equipment failure.

It just goes to show that no one is immune. Having just recently had a total loss myself, I KNOW what it feels like to lose it all one time. Although my loss was no where near Bob's ($), it still hurts and I don't have the resources he has. Come to think about it, my loss may have been greater.

Ron, I like what you said to the gentleman who said he would like to see one crash. Although it is a sight, when it is yours, it's the UGLIEST thing you'll ever see.

George
SimJet
Old 04-30-2002, 11:37 AM
fred cesquim

come on!
all of us who have the blessing of being envolved with jets must be very thankfull to Mr B.V. Heīs an entrepeneur and put those marvelous things on the radio control world. his products are second to none an quality is VERY GOOD.i live in brazil and whenever i needed help, BVM had helped. about the prices, yes, itīs expensive, but not unfair. iīm a professional modelbuilder and here in my country there a re lots of us, my prices are the higher and i made a decision that if the demand is too big, i have to put a limit, charging what i think my work worth. BV models are almost perfect with acessories, plans, and have extensive research behind, so his prices are what should be. letīs save some money and buy that marvelous F 100 and stop discussing!
Old 04-30-2002, 12:45 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

On a different vein (yes we ALL crash...)
I read Bob's treatise to the AMA with GREAT interest. You take out fire and replace it with body parts and take out 200 mph and replace it with 38" prop and you have EXACTLY the same issue that is festering in the giant scale aerobat camp. Nearly half scale 45 pound planes powered by motorcycle-sized engines swinging 38 inch carbon fibre props being flown by pilots where the only thing fatter than their heads is their wallets.... As technological advances allow planes to be lighter and lighter, they get bigger and bigger. The same skill issues that apply to jet jocks apply equally to giant scale pilots.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Shui

Default Crash? BS!

Guys,

Well, I for one can simply verify there is no truth to this. BV and I updated the bvm website yesterday before Tom and him departed on their trip out west to Utah and California. Last I talked to him he never stopped to take a quick flight! LOL

Glad to see some of you guys at Top Gun this past weekend! What a great event!

David Shulman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.