Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter

Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
mickreeves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter

Hello iiievolution.
May I use your photos on my Javelin page on my website?
www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk
Can I add your name to it.
Some details would be nice. Weight, engine, tanks.
Regards Mick
Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 AM
cairoman

Mick,

This is the one I bought from you back in 2000. It has changed hands since I built it three years ago. Had to let it go, as I was clearing the workshop for the Lightning, which also is in iiievolution's hands now. BTW his name is Paul Vorkas

Regards,
Christos
Old 12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Gerald Rutten

then I applied a Kevlar bandage around the outside to provide the strength to keep the parts together.
Hi Gordon,

Nice and rugged tanks you have there, just one question: looks like you apllied just a few layers of kevlar to bond the two halves, don´t you think this will be the achilles heel of the construction? (... or is there more to it than we can see on the pic?)

Nice work however, keep us posted!

Regards,
Gerald
Old 12-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Nice and rugged tanks you have there, just one question: looks like you apllied just a few layers of kevlar to bond the two halves, don´t you think this will be the achilles heel of the construction? (... or is there more to it than we can see on the pic?)
It's a pretty thick bandage, and the outer surfaces of the tanks were still rough enough to give a good surface for adhesion, so I'm not worried about the structural integrity.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Gordon Mc

I received an interesting PM from a fellow builder today... don't know if he wants his name posted here (if so, feel free to jump in and claim credit ) ...

Gordon
Have been following the thread with great interest and inspired me to buy one.Am now up to skining lower wing area and wondered why you had chosen to reverse the leg to wheel position ie wheel inbd,strut outbd?
and my response:

Wow ... I had no idea that I had reversed it. I simply goofed - this was not an intentional change on my behalf. Could explain some of my problems getting door clearance past the tire - that wasn't an issue with the kit, just an issue with my dumb brain. Thanks for the catch - I'll post this on the thread so that hopefully no-one follows my mistake.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers,
Gordon
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

gordon, how did the tire material i sent you work out. i just saw the build thread pop up again and was wondering if you have made them yet. keep building and merry christmas, barry
Old 12-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: u2fast

gordon, how did the tire material i sent you work out. i just saw the build thread pop up again and was wondering if you have made them yet. keep building and merry christmas, barry
Sorry Barry ... I sent you a PM about them a couple of times but I guess they didn't get through. See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3540840 ... unfortunately I somehow lost al of the pics I took during the actual tire construction, but the tires came out well. Thanks again for the material and the original thread that got me statred down that path !
Old 01-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Tim Edwards

Gordon and all other Hunter builders
How are you managing with the main u/c door set up?Anyone got any bullet proof ideas,cos Ive run out of inspiration at this point!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
jacco.keja

I am interested as well. Not at that stage yet.
Had to spend (!) last few months rebuilding my heli...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Tim Edwards

Gordon and all other Hunter builders
How are you managing with the main u/c door set up?Anyone got any bullet proof ideas,cos Ive run out of inspiration at this point!
Hi,

As I mentioned a few pages ago, I elected to cheat. Instead of maintaining scale-like gear doors comprising 4 moving parts, I simplified the setup to just 3 moving parts per main gear door.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Brian Borland

Hi there Gordon

I haven't looked at your progress for a while ...I like what I see. I'm working on a Hunter with a friend and we're going through the pros and cons of dual wall pipes, scale doors etc. I'd really like to keep the doors scale but the jury's out on that as yet.

I know you were talking about dual pipes etc some time ago but the various ideas floating around do nothing but confuse. I'm actually going to try a light weight glass outer pipe, stiffened against collapse with carbon rings or maybe a spiral. I'm going to test the set-up first. Incidentally, the spacer ring on our Hunter pipe, as provided, is loose also.

As to the doors ...well ..... a labour of love.

Has anyone got copies of "official stencelling" as applied to the Hunter?

If Gerald Rutan is watching this...Gerald, could you contact me privately - brian@airsailmodels.co.nz. I was a judge in Canada 2002 ... and I'd like to pick your brains a little....as I did in Canada. Say Hi to your folks.

As to the doors ...well ..... a labour of love.

Cheers .... Brian Borland
Old 01-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Brian Borland
I've got some somewhere ... picked up the Revell kit with its stencils, plus some aftermarket dry-marking stencil sets so that if I want to I can send these off to Aeroloft or similar and have scaled-up markings printed. Haven't done that yet since I'm considering having 43 Sqn markings made up at the same time.

Gordon
Old 01-09-2006, 04:24 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Brian Borland
I've got some somewhere ... picked up the Revell kit with its stencils, plus some aftermarket dry-marking stencil sets so that if I want to I can send these off to Aeroloft or similar and have scaled-up markings printed. Haven't done that yet since I'm considering having 43 Sqn markings made up at the same time.

Gordon
Hi Gordon:
I can not understand the no gear door thing. When I see planes without them it looks like two sticks just sitting out there. Happy new year,,,,, Dave
Old 01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan
Hi Gordon:
I can not understand the no gear door thing. When I see planes without them it looks like two sticks just sitting out there. Happy new year,,,,, Dave
Don't worry - I'm not going the no-gear-door route - just simplifying the gear doors to consist of only three moving panels per main gear, instead of 4. See

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2165636
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2343547
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2347518
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2556840

etc. BTW, I see that some of the pics have "disappeared" from some of my posts, and now only an "X" is shown.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:26 PM
HenryRG

Is anybody Flying Yet?

I have been cheerfully following this thread since I bought the kit myself - 2+1/2 years ago. Actually I saw the thread was started in October 2003, which is even longer. Has no one actually got their maiden flight yet? It would be so nice to be told how it flies and that it is worth all that building time.

Furthermore the debate between the purists, who have stayed with the single elevator servo and the hidden linkage, and the sports fliers, who ,like me, have installed a mini servo in each tail-plane, has yet to be resolved. In my book, the flying field is the ultimate decision maker.

Another useful point is what jet engine are the majority of builders installing? Mick himself went for an ancient 7Kg Simjet, which he happened to have. I have seen a review that went for a 14 Kg engine plus extra fuel tanks and then complained the undercarriage was n't strong enough. It seems to me you can not have it both ways. If you go for the equivalent of a P70, in my case a Wasp, then the 3 litre fuel tank will do fine. So will the fairly light ply formers holding it in place and so will the undercarriage. If you go for a P120 or Titan or the equivalent, then you should start thinking about the undercarriage, the fuel tanks, the jet pipe and so on.

Surely this feed back is overdue. My feeling is that "If it don't quack, it ain't a duck". Let's see some flying and hear some quacking! I feel I need practical advice based on experience about finishing it. I have only one wing to go and I am beginning to feel with a bit more work and advice - it could fly this spring!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:31 PM
HenryRG

Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Gordon Mc

I think I've seen mention of a couple flying. Mine could easily have been flying by now if I'd put more effort into it, but instead it has dragged along for a rather large number of reasons... one of which is that due to a re-evaluation of my priorities etc., I've gone from enjoying building for 2 to 3 hrs almost every night to now only building once in a blue moon. It will get done one of these days though.

I agree that it would be encouraging to see more info about people flying the model - since Mick's own model didn't last very long, and since his website's CG info is substantially different than the plans show, it might be comforting to hear of people who have loads of successful flights under their belts with this kit and hear what their CGs, throws etc are... but even absent that info I'm sure I'll still have fun with the aircraft when I eventually get around to finishing it.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Brian Borland

In Jet Power Magazine, Vol 4, 2004 ...both English and German ... there's a kit review including flying. The guy has done the model up in a crap colour scheme but his comments about it's flying are very positive. ....some quotes ...

"...even at low airspeeds the model remains stable and responsive" ... " the machine looks truely wonderful in the air and is straightforward to fly"....." A truely beautiful scale model with balanced handling at all speeds" ....

He had quite a few grizzles about the kit but we know about most of those. He threw away the undercarriage ...well the legs at least ..and had some made that look out of place. It looks like he flew it off a grass field ...which is something I'll be doing on occaisions. He used a Frank 74 Turbine which "allowed vertical rolls to the limit of vision". I doubt he was what you'd call a "dedicated Scale Modeller" .

Re the engine thing.... my personal opinion is ....that with a model like this weighing in at 24 to 27lbs, a good 66 Turbine WILL be enough to get it up and going very smartly. It seem's to me we have this almost maniacal desire to over-power our jet models ...to the extreme sometimes. I have a "hack" model, based on a Kerry Sterner Facet. It spans 90 inches, weighs around 24lbs dry, carries about 1/2 imperial gallon of fuel ...2.2 litres to be exact ...and I have the Behotec J-66 dialled down from 120,000 to 114,000 just because I wanted to. This old hack gets along at 145mph!

The Behotec J-66 delivers 19lbs at 120,000 and even if you don't want to believe that...lets say 18lbs. You will never convince me that it's not enough grunt to power something like this Hunter. The answer will come in time, as that's what I'm putting in it so I promise I'll eat my words if I'm proven wrong. If it inherits it's full size counterparts flying habits it will be as the man says ...truely beautiful. I for one, can't wait.

Cheers ... Brian Borland
Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Brian,

I'm building the Westbury version [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2192636/anchors_2192636/mpage_1/key_westbury%252Chunter/anchor/tm.htm#2192636[/link] and I'm at the finishing stage trying to decide on a colour scheme. I'm tempted by the red highlighted TWU scheme on the FGA9.

I have the 1/48th scale Academy kit of the F6 and I bought the Flightpath 1/48th decal set for the F6/ FGA9. They seem to have a good representation of the stencils.

What scheme are you considering?

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17360.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	384790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24199.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	384791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78165.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	384792  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: JSF-TC
What scheme are you considering?
I'm considering several, and have changed my mind a couple of times already. I have bought about half a dozen Corgi Hunter models in different schemes just to get an idea of how the schemes look all round, as well as hunting through tons of photos and books. Although I do like the FTS scheme, I am currently leaning towards the 43 Sqn scheme ... a long time ago I used to be based at RAF Leuchars, so I have a bit of a fondness for the Fighting Cocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79771.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	384813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50999.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	384814  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:42 AM
modellflieger

Spotted this one on the web: http://homepage.eircom.net/~skycam/L...nter_build.htm [8D]

A nice scheme too.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Brian Borland

Hi Gordon et all

Like most of you it seems I'm undecided regards a colour scheme. I did see a pic of parts of a Hunter being lifted off a truck and it had the balck and yellow bands ...like D Day stripes ... as used in the Suez Campaign. I've got the hots to do a Sea Hawk some time soon and they were also used in that action and carried these ID bands. I didn't know Hunters participated also.

I quite one I've seen with a white spine and nose, seems it was used at an Operational Conversion Unit ...but the there are so many!

I'm just fitting gun troughs to mine ...next comes a new nose leg. I've also fitted the intake "flow splitters". I'm begining to wish I'd discarded the idea of cables and airlines though the wing tubes. It would have been a whole lot tidier and easier to have connectors at the root ribs.

I'm also tossing up about a canopy ...to slide or not. Part of me would like to do a real job on this kit but it's a 2 man, joint effort and standards will always be compromised in such situations. However, no one will notice when it's in the air. Roll on the day.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:27 AM
modellflieger

Brian,

Found this set up on that hunter build site. Is this the set-up you were thinking of doing.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:51 AM
HenryRG

modellflieger

What an excellent setup! Where this you get the air connections? Presumably the electricals are from Maplin Electronics?

Brian Borland

I very much agree with your outlook, however the average is against us. The builder of "Miss Demeaner" (see RCJI) has gone for a P120, together with a re-inforced and double lined jet pipe and ballast in the nose. He has had 5 flights, is well pleased and advises that the new CG on Mick's web site is CORRECT. A friend in my neighborhood is going for a P120 or possibly a P160. This why I am asking for feed back as I am convinced the light weight approach is viable.

Incidentally studiers of Tom Wilkinson's article in RCJI on Jet Pipes (Feb/March 2004) will know that Mick's plan on where to put the engine is WRONG. Inserting the nozzle so close to the pipe will induce collapse (as it did in the article).

Old 01-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Tim Edwards

Henry
Where are we suggesting the engine goes,is it feasable to adjust the enging position adequately utilising the original engine bulkhead positions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.