Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM Turbine Problems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM Turbine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 03:40 PM
RAMASPOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram

I AGREE WITH JORGE ON HIS POST,
I ALSO HAVE 3 RAMS ALL FLYING PERFECT, NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS.
WE FLY WEEKLY AND SOMETIME 2 TIME A WEEK
EVERYTHING IS GREAT WITH MY RAMS

CARLOS ,YOUR THE BEST, THANKS FOR THE HELP.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ON THOSE TAIL PIPE MINE WAS A WORK OF ART........

MANNY
Old 05-12-2002, 04:24 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default RAM Turbine Problems

Originally posted by woketman
And here I sit at the beach in Destin Florida, reading all of this fun stuff on a lap top with the crapiest dial up modem connection that you can imagine. Jeez, I love R/C Universe!
Yep! Popcorn, Beer, an old football game.. it just don't get any better then this

Woketman; Just took a look around. Now we have the Ram saga, The spider jets series, and the AMA debunker to watch as well. They should call this place "As the companies burn"

BTW love the baby picture of the new one sitting all strapped up it what looks like a jet seat
Old 05-13-2002, 01:21 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

It was a beautiful afternoon here in the Antelope Valley, so after going to the Jethawks Class A baseball game, I went out and got the first flight on my new P-120 in the Bandit. BTW, I made the installation just like my RAM's, and the range check showed flawless operation. The new V4.0 ECU is as clean as they've been saying. The only thing I didn't like was the throttle response. It ramps up plenty fast, but after flying RAM's for so long, I didn't like the way the throttle was sort of dead on the bottom end on the JetCat compared to the RAM. So I activated the throttle curve program in the 10X, and set up a curve that gives more thrust change at the bottom end compared to the top. That seemed to work well, and the flight went picture perfect. I'm ready for Morgan Hill!

See ya there!
Old 05-13-2002, 03:39 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed the same thing Tony when I flew both BV's Bobcat XL, and Chris Huhn's Bandit. Was thinking the throttle curve would be the ticket, but you beat me to it :-)

-Doug
Old 05-13-2002, 04:10 AM
bkf

Hmm: Mine is the opposite. Most of the action is in the lower two thirds. The last third does not make much of a change.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:26 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Ken, have you flown yours, or just been running it on a stand? If you are just looking at RPM's, it will look like most of the change is ocurring at the bottom. 5k at the low end is very little thrust change, but 5k at the top end is a big thrust change.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:36 AM
bkf

Originally posted by TonyF
Ken, have you flown yours, or just been running it on a stand? If you are just looking at RPM's, it will look like most of the change is ocurring at the bottom. 5k at the low end is very little thrust change, but 5k at the top end is a big thrust change.
Tony: As usual you are 100% correct. Has not flown yet. Guess the way to look at it is with something that measures thrust like a ball race with a spring scale.

A damn BIG spring scale
Old 05-13-2002, 09:33 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Tony,
If you like the 120, wait till you get your hands on a 160 !
BRG,
David G
Old 05-13-2002, 11:28 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Go ahead rub it in David!
Old 05-13-2002, 01:28 PM
F9F Texan

Originally posted by bkf
The term “0 hours” is new to me as im sure it is to others. Is it conceivable that we could define “0 {insert correct words here} service” so that all the manufactures and service centers have a uniform understanding of what we are looking for when the time comes to return our turbines to the shop for checkups and desire this type of service. Ken
Ken, I'm copying the following from an A&P Technician Powerplant textbook:

"........"Overhaul" implies the work was accomplished using the SERVICE LIMITS provided by the manufacturer. and a "rebuilt" engine tells you that the NEW parts limits were used. Only the original manufacturer may grant "Zero Time" to an angine........"
(The upper case and quotation marks are mine)

basically it says an engine "overhauled" would contain only parts which are still within the manufacturer's range of servicable limits.

a rebuilt engine would only contain parts which were within range of new part's limits.

A zero time engine would be the same as a rebuilt, except it was rebuilt by the original manufacturer.

For anyone who wants to look it up, the FAR's involved are:

Overhauled & Rebuilt.....FAR 43.2 (a) & (b)
Zero Time........................FAR 91.421

Johnny
Old 05-13-2002, 09:34 PM
UFO

What happened to ghost_rider?. Is he taking the 5th on this subject or did he make "the switch" also?
Old 05-13-2002, 09:44 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Originally posted by UFO
What happened to ghost_rider?. Is he taking the 5th on this subject or did he make "the switch" also?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

I'll take the 5th on this subject.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:48 PM
UFO

You are the only one left now that TonyF bailed out. When are you going to read the handwriting on the wall?
Old 05-13-2002, 11:50 PM
ghost_rider

Originally posted by UFO
You are the only one left now that TonyF bailed out. When are you going to read the handwriting on the wall?
See my reply above.
That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:57 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..........is "bailed out" the correct word/s?

I just want to buy up a couple of 1000s so that I can finally get my Intruder in the air under budget.

Ray
Old 05-14-2002, 12:03 AM
ghost_rider

Originally posted by AirRayInc.Com
..........is "bailed out" the correct word/s?

Ray
Maybe from "MARS" where UFO came from. Take a look at his location under his name.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:28 AM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?????

You got me Ghost Rider, what are you saying....
Old 05-14-2002, 02:18 PM
ghost_rider

Ray

Take a look at UFO's location below his name.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:08 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen

Over the past 4 years I have sold well over 100 RAM engines to customers in the US and Canada. As many of you know - once a year I would visit Albert and Rei in Florida to ensure I was in the loop as to what was happening, hints and tips etc on the RAM product line. I felt this was good business practice as I sold and did some service work on the RAM engines. Customers also would benefit from this knowledge and support. Many have recently asked if I have ceased being a rep or dealing in the RAM line.

HeliJet R/C Int. has grown in the past two years to where I now have a partner that assists in overseas sales along with an office on the US East coast. As business has grown we made the decision to include more manufacturers of airframes as well as engines. I continue to have excellent relations with Albert and Rei as well as with Mr. Bob Wilcox of JetCat USA and Merton Moore of Moore's turbines. I fly what I sell - now you and I just have more " candy " to choose from. Turbine engines have many applications. JetCat is the present leader in helicopter applications and as you might of guessed H E L I J E T will be expanding soon to include turbine powered rotory winged versions too!
Old 05-14-2002, 05:34 PM
pmriser
Banned

Default I could have saved you guys some grief

if my posts about certain small turbines (and the engineering and economic considerations thereof) were not deleted last year, especially at your urging, Dean.