Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Australian turbine oil

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Australian turbine oil

Old 05-13-2002, 09:53 AM
David Gladwin

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Australian turbine oil

Anyone on the east coast of Australia who needs turbine oil you problems are solved. I bit the bullet and bought a box of 24 cans from Air BP at Mascot today I will have oil (Exxon/BP 2380 ) available at Jets over Sydney for just a shade over what it cost me at AUS $20 per can.
BRG,
David Gladwin
Old 05-13-2002, 11:26 PM
garrett_mcdonal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi David,

How much had you been paying per can? When I headed out to Canberra airport over Christmas to buy 20litres of Jet A and a can of Mobil Jet II oil, 2 things happened.

1. He laughed when I asked how much for the Jet A. I guess compared to what it takes to fill a 737, my little drum was a novelty. Here's hoping that continues...

2. He only charged $18 for a single can of turbine oil. Maybe this was well below what I should have been charged.

If so, I may grab a couple of cans from you.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 05-14-2002, 02:46 AM
David Gladwin

I've never bought is from an aviation source before but generally around $20 from friends who have manged to get some.
Mike's models sell oil in the UK for 15 per can ($40) so I think that the $19 I paid per can for buying a box of 24 is OK. I understand that 2380 is more expensive than other turbine oils.

Air BP at Mascot could not have been more helpful.

Fortunately I have 350 liters of Jet A left behind when the fire fighting choppers were using our gliding field. It failed the water test but as you saw at Richmond my engines run fine on it !

Sorry to hear about your accidents but hope to see you at J. O. S.
BRG,
David G.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:03 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi David,

Thanks. It's not fun losing a model, nevertheless a couple in quick succession, but that's the way it goes. I'll be interested to see if the importer finds any faults with the TX. The club is reporting the matter to the National Transmission Authority to see if we can track down where all the interference is coming from lately (so long as it isn't my tx).

I'm still planning on attending JOS with the Super Reaper and a Renegade.

One interesting thing to come out of the Sabre crash was that it gave me the opportunity to destruction test the hinges and linkages. All hinges were Robart hinge-points.

The hinges in the wings had been glued with aeropoxy. It took an extraordinary amount of effort to tear them out. I was starting to crush the surfaces I was gripping so hard. When they did come away, they took big chunks of foam and balsa with them.

The rudder hinges had been glued with Pacer hinge glue. I thought these would come out easier. Nope, they took just as mush effort to pull out as the wing hinges and also took large chunks of foam.

The rudder and elevator pushrods were glass/carbon rods with 1 inch lengths of 4/40 rod at each end for clevis attachment. The short lengths of 4/40 rod were bent into neat 'S' shapes the force was so great, but the rods were intact, as were the gear trains on the 8231 digital servos. That is really quite incredible. All servos and the rx will be going back for a service.

Garrett
Old 05-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by David Gladwin
Mike's models sell oil in the UK for 15 per can ($40) so I think that the $19 I paid per can for buying a box of 24 is OK. I understand that 2380 is more expensive than other turbine oils.
Holy cow, that seems very expensive if the cans you are talking about are quarts. Here in the US, Exxon / BP 2380 can be had for US $6.26 per quart can, and Aeroshell 500 for $5.90 per quart can.

If it's fifteen quid a can in Britain -- unless that's a gallon can then all I can say on that score is I'm glad I left ! ;-)

Regs,
Gordon
Old 05-14-2002, 12:52 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

I think they mean Australian Dollars....
Old 05-14-2002, 01:32 PM
MDEE

It really is 15 per quart can for Aeroshell in England
Old 05-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UKP

Originally posted by CobraJet
I think they mean Australian Dollars....
But the quoted UK price that I responded about is in UK pounds. ;-)

The 19 Australian dollars per can is about 65% higher than the US prices I quoted, but if the UK price quoted is correct, and is also for a quart rather than a gallon, then that would be almost 22 US dollars, which is about 350% of the US cost. Ouch.

Gordon
Old 05-14-2002, 01:41 PM
MDEE

The price of 15 per quart can is a retail price including 17.5 % VAT from a model shop, then there will be a delivery charge. If you want to buy a case of 24 from Shell in England as a private individual, then they want 240 plus 17.5 % vat, yes it's a Shell rip off. I've looked at your prices in the U.S.A and was amazed
Old 05-14-2002, 03:39 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: UKP

Originally posted by Gordon Mc

But the quoted UK price that I responded about is in UK pounds. ;-)

The 19 Australian dollars per can is about 65% higher than the US prices I quoted, but if the UK price quoted is correct, and is also for a quart rather than a gallon, then that would be almost 22 US dollars, which is about 350% of the US cost. Ouch.

Gordon
Double OUCH!!!
Old 05-14-2002, 09:37 PM
David Gladwin

Actually I was wrong, model shop oil price in UK (see RCJI) is 15.50 per quart !

Air BP at Sydney Internation, Mascot, were extremely helpful and even contacted there head office for the correct price of 2380.

It worked out at just over AUS$18 per quart for a box of 24.
Thing is, I now have oil, can now fly and I have 350 liters of free Jet A1 to burn. On average things aren't too bad !
BRG,
David