Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

World Jet Masters

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

World Jet Masters

Old 05-14-2002, 07:27 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Jet Masters

Hi everyone,
The US has not sent a team to the last two WJM's. Does anyone know why? Politics, cost? Our plane's are certainly good enough to win, there must be something going on behind the scene's. Just curious, what ever happened to Garland Hamilton? He used to work for BV and won the 1st WJM, then he kinda disappeared from modeling.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Veritech

I remember seeing Garland Hamilton at Florida Jets about 4 years ago. He was flying a JPX ( I think) powered Bandit. I also wonder what happened to him. He seems to have disappeared. I hope he is still in this thing we call a hobby!

Randy
Old 05-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Laura H

I heard that the US have not been in the last world masters because of the expense and also when they came over here for the UK world masters it was a direct flight.....
Don't know how true this is but thats what people said
Old 05-14-2002, 08:18 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Garland H.

I had heard he was in Montana. Thats is all I know though.

Kevin
Old 05-14-2002, 08:47 PM
Helijet

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In talking with a number of world class jet pilots from the U.S. in recent years the reason most have not considered attending was cost, followed by lack of support and of course some political stuff as usual. As for Mr. Hamilton he is quite happy living, fishing and hunting in Montana. He is not doing any jet modeling at present and last I heard still had his unfinished BVM Mig for sale for a really good deal ! Maybe Kelly or Ad might want to chime in.......
Old 05-14-2002, 10:06 PM
David Gladwin

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I do hope we can look forward to US participation next time
South Africa is a wonderful place to combine a holiday with a jet meet. Mark Savage and James Peel will do a super job with great facility , so come on over !
BRG,
David
Old 05-14-2002, 10:49 PM
learjet-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

I don't think that it is cheaper for us to go from Austria. In case of the high USD it must be cheaper for you. I think there are other reasons.

I hope some Pilotes from the US can come 2003.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:49 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by David Gladwin
I do hope we can look forward to US participation next time
South Africa is a wonderful place to combine a holiday with a jet meet.
Hi David,

Given the above quote, do you mind if I ask when you were last in the RSA, and what parts you went to ?

I grew up in South Africa, and loved the place, but ended up leaving in 1979 when my parents decided to go back to the UK. A couple of years ago I looked into taking my wife for a vacation to SA to show her where I grew up. Without exception all of the feedback I got from the South Africans I talked to (both old friends and strangers) was that I should find somewhere else to vacation, because the rampant crime, corruption etc that is said to have flourished in the past 10 years or so is so bad that you even have trouble convincing a taxi-driver to take you into the centre of Jo'burg, or any major city for that matter.

I have no idea how true or untrue the above claims were, but given the number of such warnings that I received, I heeded them. If you have personal experiences to the contrary then I'd love to hear about it, so that I may reconsider whether to visit.

Regards,
Gordon
Old 05-15-2002, 12:53 AM
learjet-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Follow this link to see details for the world Masters 2003

http://www.jets.at/images/gallery/wm2003/index.htm
Old 05-15-2002, 02:03 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default GARLAND

Garland is a fish n game worden (sp?) in montanna, harley condra can fill in all the details about what garland is up too these days .

regards, scott
Old 05-15-2002, 05:02 AM
David Gladwin

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

In brief, I was last in SA 3 years ago to "do" the garden route. Had a wonderful holiday. Used to fly to Joburg when I was in BA, hated the place, Capetown was wonderful.
BRG,
David.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:17 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Garland Hamilton

Garland Hamilton is alive and well in Kalispell, Montana.....Big Sky Country.
He's up there with Ad Clark and Kelly Rohrbach (who are flying jets), but alas, Garland isn't. He's a game warden for the Montana Fish and Game Department! Hands out tickets for catching too many trout!
If he is as good at that as he was at jets, he'll bring lots of revenue in. He's pretty intense!
He did sell his MiG.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP
moving to Montana 19 miles south of Ad Clark in 3.5 years!
Take a look at the private jet field on the BVM website under Field reps!!!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 06:35 AM
BMT

Default WJM

Hi Guys,
We would love it if the USA team came to SA. Cost cannot be their excuse this time. Due to the currency differences with the US$ and Euro it is real cheap to visit SA. Capetown where I live is the most popular tourist destination in the world at the moment and because of our remoteness from the current political climate of terror in the rest of the world's tourist industry, the safest place to be.
The facilities for the WJM is the best anyone has ever come accross and is hosted at Swartkops airforce base, home of the SA Airforce Museum, it has limitless runway and hangarage. It is however at 6000 feet ASL but in my experiece and those of some of my engine users, they have suffered no noticable difference in performance or operation at these altitudes. You do need more runway of course but there is plenty.

On my recent trip to FJ I can give you a cost comparison in US$:

USA RSA
Room: 65 15
Hotel: 150 25
Big Mac: 8 1
Car rental:50 25
Airfare: ? 1000

But don't quote me when you get here!
Yes, like in almost all countries we have areas of high crime, but it is far removed from what visitors experience and nowhere near as bad as NJ or Washington.
Progress on the organisation will be posted on: http://www.sajets.co.za
The organising commitee has plenty of experience and many has
also been involved in the last Scale World Masters.
Just a word of caution. We drive on the left side of the road here. (which is the RIGHT side to drive on!) and when in Cape Town a racing licence may be handy.... we don't potter around at 55mph but 90 - 110 mph. Which is probably why Michael Schumager spends his vacations here!
See you there!
Cheers
Andre Baird
Old 05-15-2002, 12:37 PM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent 22 yrs in RSA (came to the USA in '91) but return ever 2 yrs or so for visits. I went back for a visit last Xmas. It is definitely not the place it was in the 70/80's and the crime situation is hideous. However, like Andre and David said, the Cape is glorious. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Transvaal area. It most cases, common sense prevails and as long as you stick around in groups (at night) and don't go on any brainless charity/religous missions into the townships, you should be just fine.

I have visited Swartkops AFB serval times and the SAAF Museum is too cool (if you are into SAAF warbirds and jets). If you like Mirages, you will be in hog heaven too. The flying site is about as good as it gets and as I recall, they hosted the World Scale Masters event at the same location last year.

Travelling to, and staying in RSA while you have US$ in your pocket is almost as good as winning the lottery. Go to a restaurant, order the most expensive item you can find, and walk out having spent the equivalent of a Burger King Whopper value meal in the USA.

If anyone plans on going to RSA, the ONLY way to get there, IMHO is a direct flight on SAA. Don't fall into the trap of flying through Europe to get there. You will spend 2 nights on an airplane, and 13hrs in Heathrow twiddling your thumbs. And it will take you 5 days to get over the jet lag. The direct, non-stop, flight on SAA (747-400) is the only way to go.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 05-15-2002, 01:42 PM
BMT

Default WJM

Hi Peter,
You are right about the Cape but we dry not to rub it in with the "vaalies". BTW the Transvaal is now "Gauteng".
Fly SAA is of course non-stop to Cape Town. Its the heaviest takeoff at 365 000 Kg (acording to the captain) and longest flight in the world. But then again you get to watch about 6 -7 inflight movies during the 18 hours! You also get served decent Cape wines at dinner...
Cheers
Andre Baird
Old 05-15-2002, 02:05 PM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andre,

You can also fly SAA direct to JHB, which would probably the way to go for the US competitors.
Also, the SAA direct flights can be booked through Delta Airlines in the USA (Delta and SAA are code share partners).

Later,
Peter