Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ANTI JET CLUB

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ANTI JET CLUB

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANTI JET CLUB

So what experience have jet pilots had with anti_jet people..
People going to homeowners groups , using the fear card of FIRE to shut down any jet flying at that flying site that has never seen a turbine and few ducted fans
Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: ANTI JET CLUB

while watching a former club in Tampa fl (TRAC) the "saftey" guy( that also happens to fly large aerobatic planes) went to the neiboring landfill and expressed his concern for "fire" hazards and now, you guessed it BANNED. This feild is30-40 Min for lakeland(top gun). way to limit your self to sport planes. I hope some one convinces the land fill that those 30% aerobats shouldn't be there ethier. Yes i rubbed me, I don't even live there any more.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:56 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Just ask the boys in Deland what happens when they go "Anti-Jet" [>:][X(]

About 4 members left....
Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeez don't give any of the safety nazis any ideas!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:59 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Clubs generally fear the unknown. If you get your head right, fly DF to show you are competent and make friends as you go, at some point the time will be right to demo the turbine, share real information and win the club over. If you storm in like turbines are a god given right, don't make friends or don't listen and try to address the club's concerns, you will probably not get the result you seek. I have seen it work and seen it fail and it is the human factor that usually makes the difference. Same as everything else in life. K.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Cowdog
My Feedback: (13)

If fire is the real concern, just ask them to ban pylon racers as well as jets. If anyone remebers the days when the NATS traveled to different locations, they might have seen this at the 1994 NATS in Lubbock. A pylon racer in FAI? class I believe crashed right in the middle of the east west runway. A small fire started that was quickly put out (concrete doesn't burn very well ). Even though this is probably due to the high nitro content in the fuel, it still negates that argument that jets are the only high risk aircraft for fires.

Hank
Old 01-19-2004, 11:03 PM
John Casey
Banned

There is one problem, you are assuming that these people are playing BY THE RULES...

There was NO discussion, NO club meeting, and NO VOTE.

Just a unilateral rule made up and posted.

Sorry boys thislooks like it's going to be a cockfight.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:16 AM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

What does your club constitution say about creating rules? If they are in violation then you have a case against them.[>:] Our club has never addressed the turbine issue. We had only one pilot with a turbine for the longest time. He is a very "by the book" pilot. He always took time to explain what ever the other members wanted to know and we have never had a problem. We now have 3 members that are waivered and 3 more in the works. It also helps that 2 board members are working on their waivers. We also have 800+ feet of paved runway to handle jets and high speed planes. As a side note, the only fire we have had was caused by a new electric!![X(] If you want to come play with us, feel free too. All we ask is that you play by the rules(ours and AMA's)[8D]
Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 AM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Hey John, what club am I NOT going to be invited to for some turbine flying?

I think Mike was referring to me as the turbine pilot- the Sacramento Red Baron's club is a turbine friendly site.Like Mike said just play by the rules and all is good!

I think we should have another jet rally!

Jake Bruckler
Old 01-20-2004, 01:46 AM
MHall

Yes Jake, I was writing about you. If it wasn't for you, I don't think we would have turbines at our club. Thank You for all you have done for our club. I can't wait to get my waiver and be able to join you in our turbine filled sky.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:54 AM
MHall

Jake,
I would love to have a jet rally/ fly-in at our field. Do you think we can pull one off with our layout/ set-up? What would we have to do to make it work? Please talk to Mark or myself about this if you are interested or any ideas you might have. Do you think we would get a good turn-out if we put one on? Let us know.[8D]
Old 01-20-2004, 03:10 PM
John Casey
Banned

Playing by the rules is always the right thing, AMA has a set of rules already governing turbine operation.
AMA flying site's should abid by those rules, and not allow ones to be made up that are discrimatory.
At the same time the fire danger here in CA is real and has to be managed properly, the wet season is from Nov - May, there is NO reason to restrict turbine flight operations the WHOLE YEAR.

Having more kinds of planes flying means more fun for everyone.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:48 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

You can't force people to embrace your hobby, it's a matter of educating the public that your activity is worthy of their respect, even if you have to kiss some backsides. My club once tried to rent a piece of land to lay out glider winch lines. The owner rejected us immediately because he didn't want airplanes buzzing around his house...JIM
Old 01-20-2004, 04:55 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Good discussion here..My club (SF Bay Area), did something I thought a bit odd..banning turbines when its not rainy weather!..ummm like I fly my jet in the rain or right after..They believe this will keep the fire danger down if a jet crashes. Good thing there is only three guys that are members who have a turbine which, all three of us don't fly there! (too short runways)
High tension lines( and don't say theyre far enough away! , I've seen guys crash into them) and the biggest reason not to fly there ..the old unknowledgeable cry! "is that safe"?
Yes it's my duty to inform the uninformed, but not forever..sometimes I think guys do that just to mess with you! So that's why I really like Woodland! and I would go to Red Barons for a jet event! Kevin ps thanks Jake for your help last year!
Old 01-20-2004, 05:18 PM
John Casey
Banned

This type of law exists in most states covering non profit mutual corporations: (FLYING CLUBS)
5222. (a) Subject to subdivisions (b) and (f), any or all directors( board officers)
may be removed without cause if:
(1) In a corporation with fewer than 50 members, the removal is
approved by a majority of all members (Section 5033).
(2) In a corporation with 50 or more members, the removal is
approved by the members (Section 5034).
(3) In a corporation with no members, the removal is approved by a
majority of the directors then in office.

Let it be known throughout the RC world..

THE MEMBERS ARE THE BOSS OF THE CLUB, its not a republic,
the board members do the "chores" of the club, they don't rule it,
the members have the authority to fire the boards.. that makes them the boss.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:04 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

JOHN, JOHN, JOHN, Am[sm=punching.gif]enition
Old 01-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Carols Love

THERE ARE NO ANTI JET PEOPLE!!!!! JUST TSOE WHO WANT TO FLY JETS AND CAN'T.[img][/img][8D]
Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

the few people that complane about jets at our field
just happen to be the ones that would not be able
to fly them.
vinny
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 PM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: michpittsman

You can't force people to embrace your hobby, it's a matter of educating the public that your activity is worthy of their respect, even if you have to kiss some backsides....JIM
Jim-

I sat back and pondered your comments for a while and asked myself what I could do to help educate others about our aspect of the hobby.

Well, last night at our monthly meeting I took my Roo II to show and discuss the construction, hardware installation process, and safety procedures. I wasn't sure how it was going to be received, since several of the meeting regulars fly electrics and sport aircraft. Surprisingly, I had the undivided attention of the entire room for over twenty minutes! Everyone was very interested, and asked several educated questions, including discussion about the current and soon to be new rules. In closing my presentation, I asked the members if this was something they would like me to continue in future meetings, and the response was an overwhelming YES! So I will be doing a monthly series at the meetings until she makes her maiden flight, and maybe some after that. Our discussion last night also included flightline etiquette, and ways to share the airspace respectfully.

Many of us are under the impression that “the old farts” don’t want us around, which is well documented by many here. What I learned last night was that many don’t understand what’s involved in turbine operations, but when invited to learn at an early point, they’re very interested. If you try to describe what the mess of wires and tubing is inside the fuselage, they lose interest very fast. That’s why I thought it would be good to discuss this at the meeting from the beginning.

Try it at one of your meetings, and see what kind of response you get.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:53 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Good Move Mark...... I have found being proactive within the clubs, educating and sharing the turbine aspect of the hobby is very helpful in easing the unfounded fears

Nice job..... [sm=thumbup.gif]

Todd
Old 01-22-2004, 01:11 PM
goodfriend

It is about Jet Envie, those who can and those who are pissed that a person is having fun. Controll and Envie issues.
Hey! you all at Woodland.
Great site and place to fly. How is the David Reifer over there? I miss the great shows and jets people bought to the shows there, moved a few states over, but will be returning to the Santa Barb area in a couple years.
I did see that the Calif area is full of ANTI-Everything people. If a person has a fun hobby in Ca, there will always be somebody looking to piss on your leg and tell you it is raining, because your having to much fun and they can not stand it.
Anti-Jet people my a--.
Those Anti-people are few and a complete Joke of humanity.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:54 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Alive and well. Thanks for asking
Vinny
I am not sure what you mean by not being able to fly them ? Prop people seem to be a lot nicer than jet people. I am not sure if its a pride thing or what it is. I have talked with older people about this and thats the comet they make. Maybe we should spend more time sharing the whole thrill with them. Teach and share so they can feel a part of what we experience. Some cannot afford to see a 4-10 thousand dollar jet leave the ground. I have run into some jet people that think they are gods. Then I have run into those that will bend over back wards for you. No names mention. Its not just noise that bother's people my god I have heard some Quadra's that will turn my ear. I think that we are very safe at what we do. The last thing any of us want is to see someone get hurt or start a fire. Or loose one of our jets. I lost my F-4 and man that hurts.
I for one Like Todd and other's have reach out and what a big help they have been. Jealous,,,,,,,, Heck yeah, why not, look at were ducted fans have brought us, turbo-probs, fan jets, unlimited stuff ahead, some do not like change. Like was said by Warbird, TEACH and they will come

Dave R
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57600.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	93206  
Old 01-22-2004, 03:24 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

dave
teach and learn worked for some of them
but there are some who just dont like jet guys
i try and get non jet guys involved with our rally
and explain how they work.I am just saying
that there are some who will bash us no
matter what we do
vinny
Old 01-22-2004, 04:32 PM
John Casey
Banned

The woodland club is great , I'm a member there too.... even the guys from SAM come
over and gaze upon the greatness of jets and envy the wonderful TV coverage that hit
the air on Channel 10 two or three times.. its just jealousy.

It gets a little troubling when the MEMBERS are completely bypassed in the decision
making processes of the club by a small group of green faced groupies.

"I am just saying
that there are some who will bash us no
matter what we do "...........
I have found that to be true, even when one of there own tried to educate
the group that turbines are quite, don't really fly any faster than the race
airplanes we already fly........ they turned a deaf ear. Their agenda is clear ,
don't allow any to fly that shows them up or takes the spotlight off them.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:49 PM
klave
My Feedback: (17)

This is how I would compare someone that is against jet pilots and jets. Nothing against women but any time your in a social garthering or a bar and a beutifull women walks in, all the other women around don't have anything nice to say about her , Why because they are threatend of not being the center of attention. I guess it would be a bummer to be the guy at the club with the 40% extra. or Cap steeling the show every weekend, then this gentlemen shows up with his jet and special turbine waiver in hand and steels the show I guess that could cause some animosity. I just can't understand how someone could not enjoy the sound of a real gas turbine spooling up, I have not found anyone yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.