Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Modified Hotspot

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Modified Hotspot

Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 PM
erbroens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Modified Hotspot

Norberto: Yes, this is the one, and let us know how ´s your Storm doing.

Thanks Delgato: I used a P-80 in the last one and probably will use it again on this... believe me as even this plane is big, you don´t need more than 20 pounds of thrust on it!

Ledd40: Indeed.. Hotspots are great, and this one with the elevator is good too, but less "nervous" (?) or better said, easier and more majestic.. hope to post a decent video of it flying as soon as I could.

Roger: Check the CG at 7 inches measured in the leading edge from the wing root, and if you have at least 35mm on full up elevator. This should make the HS rotate as quick as it could no matter what landing gear issues you may have. Also don´t hesitate pulling up energically the HS at takeoff rotation.. it will not drop a wing or overrotate. About the spring you may cut one turn or two from them for flying as soon as possible while you search for stiffer springs.

Enrique

Old 09-18-2011, 04:02 AM
erbroens

Default RE: Modified Hotspot

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Thanks Delgato: I used a P-80 in the last one and probably will use it again on this... believe me as even this plane is big, you don´t need more than 20 pounds of thrust on it!
Oh well... it´s hard when someone needs to ate his own words. I been flying this one with the P-120 at 28 pounds of thrust and now think it´s better this way. Why we can´t even agree with ourselves
in this forums? haha

Pictures taken yesterday, at sunset in Curitiba at the clube Fenix:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40652.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1663706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15907.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1663707  
Old 02-11-2020, 01:10 PM
erbroens

Well, after 16 years we decided that we need another Hotcat. I did the maiden, and the builder and owner got very happy. This thing flies great, even compared wtth the modern sport stuff. Another friend of mine did the small video of the maiden flight, with the unavoidable topgun soundtrack (!)

Best regards to all and specially to my old friends here in RCU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gw...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Broens, awesome as usual. Wish I had a place to fly like that, WOW!!!!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:45 PM
erbroens

Hi Mark, our club is indeed nice, but last saturday the sky was something spectacular.. sun, rainbows,rain at the horizon ,a fantastic sunset, supermoon all at the same time.. it was worth to be there just to sit and watch the skies. It was amazing.

The following users liked this post:
Woketman (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 05:05 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome ! As usual.
The following users liked this post:
Woketman (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM
CARS II

Enrique, I have plans to modifie my Roo's engine mount like it is on your Roo.

I like to know what should I be looking for when I cut the original mount and how to build the new one? also remind me of the benefits of doing this mod.

Tks.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-11-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:13 AM
erbroens

[QUOTE=CARS II;12582551 I have plans to modifie my Roo's engine mount like it is on your Roo.

I like to know what should I be looking for when I cut the original mount and how to build the new one? also remind me of the benefits of doing this mod.

Tks.[/QUOTE]

Hi Carlos, the idea is to lower the turbine thrust line to match the airplane centerline to get rid of the pitch down tendency present in the original model when full power is applied at low airspeeds. You can also
takeoff shorter and at lower speeds,, aborted landings are much more cleaner too,this mod turns the original Roo in a more refined jet.

Making the mod is quite easy. Just cut off the original turbine mount , add two hard balsa/plywood mounts connecting the upper and lower fuselage shells, cover them with fiberglass and epoxy and add plenty of putty to round up the mount helping the airflow to cool off any hot point in the new mount.. it also looks a lot better too. Dont be afraid to put weight there, Roos have always a tendency to be nose heavy.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:32 AM
CARS II

Got it! I will be doing that mod and a new paint job on the Roo this Summer.

Last time I flew the Roo I did a couple of go arounds and man! they felt bad, it was struggling to gain altitude doing smal stalls as it was trying to climb and had to baby it 'till it picked up enough speed to have a positive climb.

Tks.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:10 PM
erbroens

if you have time to do it it will be worth of it.. however you can do a quick fix changing the turbine incidence (the turbine facing down) to reduce the pitch down tendency.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:01 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Of course if you're really keen you can completely hide the turbine. I did this mod just before the rookie came out lol
Old 02-12-2020, 09:34 PM
CARS II

So, we want the engine to be just above the trealing edge or is it better to have it, ala King Cat, half of it hanging below the trealing edge?
Old 02-13-2020, 03:03 AM
erbroens

In the position and angle I set it in (about zero degrees) there is not pitch trim at any speed whatsover, and also the turbine is protected from ground scratching in case of problems with the landing gear... both in the Hotcat and the Kangaroo.

A friend here also installed a fancy turbine cover in a Hotspot some ice ages ago, and I remember he used too a RAM 1000.. It had some air restriction and temp problems.. so he got rid of it . In case you want a hidden turbine, perhaps it would be better to buy a brand new Rookie, wich Andreas (CARF) has still available. :-)

Old 02-13-2020, 03:04 AM
erbroens

LGM, that was between the ice ages, LOL.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:50 PM
CARS II

Quique, I prefer the way you installed the engine on your Roo, I'm ok with having the engine exposed, I just want to remove the bad tendencies out my Roo, I think it's a cool airplane and really like how it looks in the air when it's flying and want to make it better.

Thank you for all your support, I will start a thread when I get ready to do the mode.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:53 PM
CARS II

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post

Of course if you're really keen you can completely hide the turbine. I did this mod just before the rookie came out lol

Thank you for posting that pic Jeremy, it's giving me some ideas.